Builds 1987 FJ60 Expedition build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dave's stuff is top notch. Here is a pic of my very similar '87 with the 4Plus classic rear bumper. Love it.

IMG_1544.JPG

Dave's stuff is top notch. Here is a pic of my very similar '87 with the 4Plus classic rear bumper. Love it.

View attachment 1695897

Great looking truck!!
Those bumpers look top notch, and a great insurance for the investment. Do you think a roof top tent/roof rack will come before the winch?

Thanks
Great question - I'm not sure but probably the roof rack. I need to make a decision on both.

Interior:

The interior the truck was in great shape which is one of the reasons I purchased it. All original interior, no driver seat tear, door cards in great shape, even the vinyl wheel well covers were in very good shape.

The carpet wasn't bad, had no tears, but did have some stains and needed updating.
When @dnp released his late Fj60 carpet I jumped on it. Ordered the carpet and it arrived in 2 days - excellent service.
The quality of the carpet is excellent and so is the jute backing that comes with it. Great deal in my opinion.

First I started by ripping out the old carpeting.
Interesting what you find in these old trucks, particularly the ones that are dead original and have never been touched or updated.
Under the carpeting I found a few 22 caliber shells, about 87 cents in change , and a several condoms - unused thank God ;)

I was very pleased to find a very dry rust free inside, consistent with the outside. Your always a little nervous when you start peeling back layers. A little surface rust on the driver side right by the door - again very minor but I went ahead and wired wheeled it and hit it with some Corroseal rust converter just to be one safe side. I really like that stuff for any rust treatment. It converts rust and acts as a primer all in one.

IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG

Then I began cleaning the inside. To remove the old original jute, I spend about an hour with a wire wheel which worked really well and removed all of it. Probably unnecessary and overkill but I wanted a really clean start, figuring I would be doing this again for a few decades.

IMG_0145.jpg

Then hit it with this purple degreaser I had laying around. This stuffs works great.
Even got the old tooth brush out for the hard to reach places. The grimy stuff you see in the pic is just grime - cleaned right up

IMG_0147.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG

Scrub, rinse, repeat for about 2 hours. Filled this bucket up about 10 times and it looked like this every time until I finished.

IMG_0150.JPG

But it looked like a new truck when I was done. My neighbor, who restores Mustangs, came by and asked if I had gotten the inside painted. Nope just a lot of elbow grease.
Again, was very pleased at the condition of the inside. The seam seals were still in great condition so no work needed there.

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0159.JPG

Last edited:
Next came time to install the carpet. I took me about a day and half to install the carpet. Most of that time was spend thinking about it :hmm:
If I did it again, I could install it in probably 3 hours.
Here are some tips I learned during the process.
  • Remover both shifters - and mark your holes
  • There is not much room for error on shifter holes, so quadruple check before cutting
  • Get the carpet in position and bolt it down before any final cut
  • Start from the front and work your way back
  • The front section is the most time consuming, middle is second, and the rear takes 30 min
  • Use your old carpeting as a template. Critical when making cuts to double check your measurements
  • Use a soldering iron to make your holes - this was key!! I wouldn't do this without one
  • Re-install shifters and bolt down before laying carpet back down
  • If you have a heater under your passenger seat, cut it smaller than you think and work it around
  • Cut the edges once you have done a final install
Results

IMG_0166.JPG

DSC03196.jpeg
DSC03198.jpeg
DSC03197.jpeg

Then it was time to cover all of this work up with some floor matts :).
I looked a lot of options and ended up going with the Lloyd's matts from Cruiser Corps.
I'm really happy with the quality and fit. Very customized fit for a 60 series.

IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0252.JPG

I wanted to refresh my center console as it had gotten faded from the years.
Before:

IMG_0162.JPG

I hit it with this Rustoleum paint - Charcoal grey. It's almost a dead on match to the original color.

IMG_0163.JPG

And after with about 5 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear (satin)

IMG_0175.JPG

I stole a page out of @Aloha Jen rebuild and changed out the 60 series grab handles for 80 series.
I agree with Jen that they look like they were made for the 60 with it's more hard lines.
They are also more functional as they hang down a bit more - easier for passengers to see and grab onto

IMG_0226.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG

I stole a page out of @Aloha Jen rebuild and changed out the 60 series grab handles for 80 series.
I agree with Jen that they look like they were made for the 60 with it's more hard lines.
They are also more functional as they hang down a bit more - easier for passengers to see and grab onto
Don’t know if you read further in my build thread, but sadly I had to go back the the 60 handles. They were fine for me, but after Mr AlohaJen cracked his head on them for the third time, he said they had to come out! Since they still sell them at Toyota, we got brand new 60 ones all around.

Jen, curious how tall is the Mr.? I missed this in your thread, but those look like a nice upgrade-if I won't hit my head too!
He’s 6ft, but the new seat cushions may also sit a little higher and contribute to the head hitting! I’m 5,7” and don’t remember ever coming close to hitting them, but they do hang down into the door way. It’s a shame because they really do look better in there
B0F9C5A2-FBFA-4375-A40F-D0D31029C889.jpeg

AA0CFDDC-128E-4435-BBA5-8C9D8FDB92A4.jpeg

Here are the new 60 series ones installed that are still available from Toyota. Pretty inexpensive if I remember correctly, but you have to order the bolt cover tabs separately. You can also see the 80 series ones mounted on the front pillar.
81352DA1-BCF8-4E70-9D28-FE9A62B38919.jpeg

wow. Love that silver . Looks familiar. We have the same silver, same year, now the same carpet and even the same floor mats!
I just went to new seat covers, but other than that, man this looks similar and OH, so good! Nice work @upperblack

under the carpet in back left.jpg

New Front seats.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom