Builds 1987 FJ60 Expedition build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New OEM fuel filter installed. I'm happy to report completely clean filter after many miles on the old girl.

image.jpeg

With the fuel system solved I moved on to another issue.
The tires were over 10 years old and had sat without moving for so long they had developed some serious flat spots. Not to mention the tires were out of balance, so the truck rode like crap.
It's a shame because right before it sat for so long they had just put on new Michelin tires.
Check out the tread on these bad boys too bad they were no good.

DSC00048.JPG

Last edited:
Anticipating a lift I opted for BFG KO2 33x10.5x15. I have the same tire in a 31" size on my 40 and love the way they ride.

Here is how they look on stock suspension. Not too bad and they didn't rub.

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

I got tired of hitting my head on my lift gate with the original saggy gas shocks so replaced them.
Before with lift gate at head busting level:

IMG_0003.JPG

Here is a replacement shock with the OEM for comparison

IMG_0005.JPG

And here is the result - love it!!

IMG_0006.JPG

Suspension:

Although the stock suspension was in pretty good shape, I opted to put a small lift on her.
After a lot of research, knowing I was going to install bumpers and consulting with the guys at Cruiser Outfitters, I decided on the full OME heavy/heavy kit.
Got some help from a couple of buddies with make shift covering for the rain - worked out pretty good.

IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

I got lucky on the install as the bushings had been recently replaced so everything came out fairly easily.
The job took about 2 full days but I'm very slow and haven't done a full lift before, so a lot of that time was thinking about what we were doing.
By the time I got to the last corner, I could do it in less than 2 hours. Also by the last corner, I really was enjoying the process and was almost wishing there was another rig and kit to install - but maybe because everything came out ok. :grinpimp:

Nice work and nice rig!

shoot those front wiper arms with some rustoleum or check out a 4 runner wiper upgrade.. those arms are letting that beautiful beast down!

Engine:

Even after all the work on the fuel system it was not running well consistently and stalling a lot after about 15 min.
I was getting good spark, fuel, so I figured it must be a vacuum leak. All the vacuum lines appeared to be run correctly so I sprayed some carb cleaner around the intake manifold which caused a slight revving sound so I knew I had a manifold leak.
I had planned to desmog the engine anyway to create more room in the engine bay, have less things to fail, etc so figured I would get it all done at one time.
A desmog and manifold resurfacing were something I wanted to outsource. I know I could learn how to desmog and actually read about every thread on the site regarding it but chickened out as I didn't want to screw something up.
I take my trucks to Merriman Automotive (Peter Merriman) when they fall outside of what I'm comfortable with.
Peter is a land cruiser wizard and happens to have the sister to my truck - a silver 1987 FJ60.
While there I had him do the following:
  • Full desmog using Jim C's kit
  • Install OEM alternator and fix wiring from PO
  • Resurface manifolds and install new gasket
  • Get the carb cooling fan functioning
  • Battery cables
  • Change all fluids; transmission, transfer case, engine oil, differential oil front and back
  • Full tune up - adjusted valves, time, carb adjustment, etc
It's unbelievable how well this thing runs now. 2 pumps of the gas and cranks right up.
When I was driving it back from Peter's shop, I kept thinking it was dying when I stopped - but no it was idling so quietly I couldn't hear the engine.

Before pics:

IMG_2024.jpg

View attachment 1695592

DSC02993.jpeg

Wiper blade upgrade:

I did the 4 runner front arm upgrade and 80 series rear upgrade.
Easy mod and well worth it in my opinion.

IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG

That's a beautiful rig! A great place to start from and a good plan, I'm subscribing. My smog system is still functional, but must be working on magic. Happy to see your choice in lift and tires. Even so, the departure angle will not be good enough so make sure your custom rear bumper is up to be slid down when things get fun.

thanks @MoaByte. The blue 40 you see in the background is still completely smogged but runs great so I have left it in place. When the smog pump goes out, I'll probably think about a desmog at that time.

Bumpers:

For bumpers I went with 4plus for both the front and rear. As I mentioned in earlier posts we travel around the country a good bit so I was able to meet up with Dave at 4plus and pick the bumpers up at his shop in Miami, AZ.
I didn't even think about taking pictures when I picked up the bumpers but wished I would have.
These bumpers are incredibly stout and should survive a nuclear war.

To install the bumpers you need to remove 8 front frame rivets and 20 or so rear frame rivets. I looked up several threads on mud and watched a dozen or so youtube videos but in the end decided to let Merriman auto do it while my truck was there. Peter used acetylene gas to heat the rivet up and pop them out. He said it took about 5 min per rivet. I figured it would have taken me a couple of weeks of pounding and colorful language to do the job. To me it was worth outsourcing this part.

Here is how the truck sits with bumpers:

DSC03207.JPG
DSC03208.JPG
DSC03199.JPG
DSC03200.JPG

Those bumpers look top notch, and a great insurance for the investment. Do you think a roof top tent/roof rack will come before the winch?

Very nice and Love the bumpers ! I have Dave’s rear bumper and can’t imagine a better set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom