1985 4runner rattle. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here we go again.
1985 4runner is making a rattle today. Grabbing some breakfast with the kid this morning and on the way home I heard and felt a clunk that was followed up by a rattle that was corresponding to the wheel speed. Immediately pulled over for a visual and couldn’t find or see anything. Left the engine in gear with the parking break on and trans in neutral. No noise.
Continued driving and the rattle is only while rolling. Happens under power and while coasting in neutral.
A little back ground. With in the last 3000 miles the engine was rebuilt, new clutch and clutch fork. New clutch due to the old one was from a celica or something and the retainer clip thing snapped off. I’m going to get a scope in the side of the bell housing in a bit but wanted to see if anyone has an idea. Trying to post a clip for an audio reference of the noise.

Are your hubs locked?
Put it on jacks and try again.
Hubs are free. Going on jacks tomorrow. Had another car on jacks getting it’s suspension replaced today

Sounds like something may be flapping from the wind. Maybe the splash guard under front wheel wells came loose, and is causing the noise when driving?

I saw that you were asking about mud flaps on another thread. do you just put some on? sometimes mud flaps can get pulled into the tire while driving.

I saw that you were asking about mud flaps on another thread. do you just put some on? sometimes mud flaps can get pulled into the tire while driving.
Ya, especially in a tail wind.

Refurbished some rear mudflaps but haven’t installed any yet. The one that I have on the front could somehow cause the noise.

Last edited:
yeah the noise is gone. Must have been something got caught up somewhere or a heat shield was rattling. Couldn’t find the culprit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom