1985 4runner lift/Steering question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m about to lift my 1985 4runner using 2-3” OME lift I got through Cruiseroutfitters.
I won’t be rock crawling but I do want want a safe rig when we are on and off road. What are some recommendations on steering?
I see there’s the ifs box upgrade along with a high steer Kit is the most stout way to go.

Imo crossover is a must on sa rigs. Literally night and day difference driving.

Agreed. Find a competent off-road shop and get the Marlin or All-Pro (now Trail Gear) hi-steer kit. The mount for the steering box requires competent welding and specific location of the mount. It's been done thousands of times and every Toyota off-road forum has dozens of threads on it. Good luck!

I have OME springs (front). I have hi-steer. I would not go back to stock under any circumstances.

Thanks all! So.... just invest now and do it right is what you're saying.

Thanks all! So.... just invest now and do it right is what you're saying.
With only 2" of lift, or even 3", you will be OK with the push-pull steering. It's just not a great system for lifted trucks. I ran 3" on three push-pull trucks (1982 & 1985x2). I didn't know how good life could be until I installed hi-steer on the two 1985's. What I'm saying is ... you can do this in two steps. There is nothing one depends on, or something to do "while in there." They are a pair of completely different projects. But, I would highly recommend it.

With only 2" of lift, or even 3", you will be OK with the push-pull steering. It's just not a great system for lifted trucks. I ran 3" on three push-pull trucks (1982 & 1985x2). I didn't know how good life could be until I installed hi-steer on the two 1985's. What I'm saying is ... you can do this in two steps. There is nothing one depends on, or something to do "while in there." They are a pair of completely different projects. But, I would highly recommend it.
I bit the bullet. Placed an order with Marlin. I don’t drive daily buy when I do it’ll most likely be this vehicle.

OK but, and I guessed I missed that part that you're only doing a 2" ish lift you may have clearance issues with the drag link and the oil pan. I did, and ended up with more lift than planned for since I went with 3" springs and a front spring hanger.

Got a pic of the 85?

7F1BA87C-F7EB-4195-AA87-66D3D942FBDD.jpeg

One more of the 4runner in question. Found it a last October with 125k mileage and mostly all original.
Buuuuuuunch of parts enroute.

Archer1.jpeg

I remember being in this same situation with my '84. Tried to keep the push-pull with OME springs, but it was a PITA. Had to get the special low profile U-bolts, the goofy drop draglink, all that. Kept wearing out the sockets in the draglink, no matter how I adjusted it or greased it. Then there's all that fun torque steer. I bent the heck out of the driver's side banana steering arm, so I was making plans to go to crossover. Then the frame rotted in half.

But I do miss that truck.

Took some new pics.

20200813_184924.jpg

20200813_184832.jpg

20200813_184915.jpg

20200813_184852.jpg

The biggest thing with crossover is getting the proper pitman arm for your build and positioning of the box.
Imo the stock pitman arm is dumb. Get something flatter.
Measure 12 times, weld once. ;)

The biggest thing with crossover is getting the proper pitman arm for your build and positioning of the box.
Imo the stock pitman arm is dumb. Get something flatter.
Measure 12 times, weld once. ;)
Interesting you should say that. I have a "flatter" billet arm. I'm pulling it off to install the OEM style arm. I want to drop my drag link down from the oil pan for better clearance.

Last edited:
Its all just build details.
In the many years ive been observing builds, ive noted people just kinda throw shyt together and wonder why it doesn't jive.

Im interested in your flatter arm. Pm me.

Its all just build details.
In the many years ive been observing builds, ive noted people just kinda throw shyt together and wonder why it doesn't jive.
Yeah its interesting to see so many avenues to take. I'm coming from the 60 series world and although there were definitely different routes to take when I was building my 60, the details and explanations seemed more thorough.
This time around I am having a shop put things together. I went and visited them and its a father and son operation with roots in rock crawling.
They both had their own personal tacoma crawlers there and number of other toyota 4x4's.
we'll talk with them pre-install and go over everything.

Currently waiting on back ordered high-steer components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom