1989 4Runner 22RE Cylinder Head Questions (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I blew the head Gasket on my 22RE years back and I am finally getting around to the fix. I removed the head over the weekend and was thinking of getting it rebuilt locally. It occurred to me that instead of rebuild, an upgrade or new head may be a better option? Does anyone have some word of wisdom regarding this option? Alternatively, if I decide to get the original head rebuilt can someone recommend a seal and hose kit so that I can refresh as much as possible while I have everything apart?
Some specifics: The motor has 250-300k miles on it. I don't want to spend more than 1000 on the project, but can if it makes good sense. I have had the truck since 1998 and plan to keep it forever. I have included some pics for interest.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

-John

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3388.JPG

IMG_3389.JPG

IDK about your $1K budget. An OEM head is better than most aftermarket out there. If it can be fixed I'd run the OEM head.

With that many miles it may need more work if you want it to last that long. At least a timing chain kit would most likely be needed.

Bearings may be heavily worn and the rings too. You won't know unless you check.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

100% use the OEM toyota parts. Get the head gasket kit. They're still available and the best bet for long-term reliability.

Yotaparts sells a full small-hose kit for around $200 it's EVERY small hose, some are no longer available from the dealer. These hoses are all molded so you can't use just bulk stuff.

Ask around in your local Toyota community, there's likely people in the Facebook 1st gen 4runner Mafia group in your area that can help with local machine shop resources.

Good luck!

With that kind of mileage I can’t see your rings holding on for much longer. I and many others have been where you are at and done only what was absolutely necessary at the time only to have to come back a year later and redo things due to addition failures unforeseen at the time. I had my rings blow out on me 30k after I redid my head. Stick with your OE head if you can. I got a “good” head from engine builder in Oregon years ago and the exhaust valve seats were made out of Chineseium. After that head failed I will never go with aftermarket.

Bottom line, save your money and have the lower end rebuilt. You will save money in the long run if you plan on keeping the rig. If you pull the engine and drop off just the short block it shouldn’t be too pricey. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom