Builds ** 1984 FJ60 Project Thread - DVP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyvp

SILVER Star
Threads
****I changed the title to make this a build thread. I'll be doing lots of work to this truck, so it will be easier to keep it all in one place.*****

Its nice having a lift a work to make things more easy.

I have a few problems I'm trying to trouble shoot with my new FJ60.
1- Loose steering. slight rolling steering, sways back and forth.
2- Cruiser has a lean to the driver side when sitting in.
3- Emergency Brake not functioning.

Good to know info.. I'm told the truck has a 2.5" old man lift on it.

I think 3 will be fixed when I put new pads on the rear brakes. I was shocked to see disk brakes on the truck all the way around. I looks like the brake cable was broke in the process of the upgrade maybe. (see pic)

2- Loose Steering seems to be these 2 bars and the shock. the shock moves very easily. (See Pic)
Are these stock pieces of special pieces from a lift?

3-Cruiser has a slight lean to the driver side with nobody in it, not much, but somebody makes it lean. I've seen pics of other cruisers with this problem. The bushings/washers in the lift are shot and crumbling apart. (see pic)

IDEAS?...…

Extra Pics...

Last edited:
I was very impressed! it needs a hose for some mud, but man its in good shape.

So for the parking brake, someone did an upgrade (probably from JT Outfitters) from the drum to disc for the rear. This poses a problem as the E-brake stock in the FJ60 does not play well with most of the brakes out there that are disc. Looks like you have a cobbled together e-brake system, which if it works when you put new pads in, should be neat.

"Cruiser Lean" as it is called is pretty common for most lifted trucks, especially with OME suspensions. However, with the pic you posted there is something else going on as those bushings need to be replaced. Also, you can see what looks like a very large gap between the leaves of your spring in the picture (first military wrap and second leaf) which causes pause for inspection and remedy.

For steering, look in my signature for the links to the FSMs. There is a procedure in there for tightening up the steering. I could simply be that the box is a bit loose from the lift or could be more. Time to get your hands dirty and go through the system to see what is going on. You can see in your pic that the steering stabilizer is what looks to be original OEM. That could be "dead" and needs to be replaced, but makes me question what all was done with the lift as that comes as part of the kit. You may also need to go through the Tie Rod Ends (TREs) to tighten up the system as well, should be greaseable so I would grease all those points.
- Note: cant tell if it is the pic or not but looks like your lower TRE link (the bar the connects left to right) is bent close to the right side of the picture. I would closely inspect that as it could be causing steering issues as well
- Note: in the brake cable pic there is a strange object at the top of the picture that you can see is very visibly cut off. Investigate that as if I remember correctly that is either the e-brake light switch or the sensor for your Cat. If it is the latter, and you are in an emissions state, that could cause lots of issues.

Let's see...

1. Bushings on leaf springs and shackle mounts are trashed, replace them all. If it is OME, buy OME bushings. Some bushings are even missing it appears in pics.
2. Can't see shocks, but if they move or wiggle either they are blown or bushings are broken or both. Or bolts are loose, haha.
3. Steering stabilizer needs to be replaced if it moves freely, no resistance.
4. Tie-rod looks bent as well.
5. Inspect leaf springs, looks as if driver front is bent. Not knowing the last time they were apart, I'd disassemble and regrease and inspect each leaf.

The black shocks had me wondering if they were stock. But the lifts come in a kit, so I didn't understand why they wouldn't replace everything.
Supposedly a shop in Little Rock did it. I would think it wise to replace all black shocks with something new.

The parking brake lever does actually move the assembly underneath, just doesn't hold right now. We saw the wires clipped off next to the parking brake and had no idea what they were. the light works on the e brake so it must not be that.

All bushings seem to be gone. I was going to replace the tie rod bar and all ends along with steering shaft first thing.

How do you actually tell if its OME?

The black shocks had me wondering if they were stock. But the lifts come in a kit, so I didn't understand why they wouldn't replace everything.
Supposedly a shop in Little Rock did it. I would think it wise to replace all black shocks with something new.

The parking brake lever does actually move the assembly underneath, just doesn't hold right now. We saw the wires clipped off next to the parking brake and had no idea what they were. the light works on the e brake so it must not be that.

All bushings seem to be gone. I was going to replace the tie rod bar and all ends along with steering shaft first thing.

How do you actually tell if its OME?

Eh, lifts don't come as a kit, kits are 'assembled' by the vendor for various load ratings.

You will have to clean the springs and see if a part number still exists on the top leaf in the leaf pack. OME will have a part number and it will clearly display Old Man Emu along with a few other designators.

If you go OEM with tie-rods, you get the tie rod bar as well, just an FYI. 555 is great, but it might be worth it for new tie-rods. If you do 555, make sure you paint them...they come raw and will flash rust in no time.

Yeah that was the other thing, the shocks are definitely not OME. OME shocks are yellow and fully encased (e.g. the stanchion, silver part, is not exposed like yours). And while lift "kits" come pre-designated either by the load rating you purchase, or in the case of @cruiseroutfit they put something together for you, you can still purchase just the springs by themselves (or for that case, other parts in general).

Is there a reason to not buy parts from a big box store on these basic items?

Is there a reason to not buy parts from a big box store on these basic items?
What are you referring to? Components like the bushings or components like TREs?
If the latter, then really you are better off going with known sources as many "Big Box Stores" sell chicom stuff that is either not correct, or of poor quality (or both) and thus will need to be replaced quickly anyways.

Think of it this way, OEM stuff (Toyota or their OE brands like Aisin, Kyoto, etc.) has lasted this long, by putting NEW OEM stuff on, you will be investing in longevity vs. a short term aftermarket solution.

Cool, I will order from a cruiser place then or are you guys ordering from Toyota?

Cool, I will order from a cruiser place then or are you guys ordering from Toyota?
Depends on what you are ordering...
OEM stuff, start with @beno (onur) our local cruiser guru who can spout off part numbers from memory enough to make you think you are in an alternate universe. Has a Min. Order Price of $100, so if nothing else save up your pennies and grab a bunch of items.
@cruiseroutfit is our main go-to for other such parts as Kurt is super active on here.
Then there are the likes of @reevesci, @NLXTACY, @FJ40Jim, @orangefj45, etc. that will be able to fit just about any of your other wants/needs.

Caution, you are now entering the world of Land Cruisers and 60 series in general. It is highly advised to have a credit card/bank account/slushfund specifically given for said items. It is also highly advised that the above members have access to said account allow you to call and drain said account with parts requests!! :)

I have been told I have a problem. My wife @CatskillsRunner thinks I am possessed sometimes when I wake up at night, dreaming and saying part numbers. Of course, I have no idea what she is talking about.

:lol:

I used to get really panicked by it and wonder if I should be writing everything down, like it was some kinda coded message your subconscious was desperate to convey to me!

As most have said, bushings are F'd (that's the technical term). I'll be honest, not even sure if that is OME. I would also wager that the shop in Little Rock had no clue what they were doing. I would consider scrapping and starting over on the suspension. I know that may not fit your budget, but looks like s*** work to me.

I would replace bushings, get grease-able shackle pins, and do through autopsy on the lift.

I know this sounds negative, but you have a great truck. It just needs some love !!

Put a longer rear brake line hose on there.

I have been told I have a problem. My wife @CatskillsRunner thinks I am possessed sometimes when I wake up at night, dreaming and saying part numbers. Of course, I have no idea what she is talking about.

:lol:

The other night Andrea actually woke me up. She said you usually calm down after a few but the rant went on for several minutes. When she asked WTF... I was cussing yet another 200 series broken bolt... HA!

I used to get really panicked by it and wonder if I should be writing everything down, like it was some kinda coded message your subconscious was desperate to convey to me!

K, I can send you Andrea's phone number so you two can form a wives support group for the likes of the addicted......

J

The other night Andrea actually woke me up. She said you usually calm down after a few but the rant went on for several minutes. When she asked WTF... I was cussing yet another 200 series broken bolt... HA!

K, I can send you Andrea's phone number so you two can form a wives support group for the likes of the addicted......

J

Please! Tho I suppose there are worse things our husbands could disclose in their sleep...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom