Builds ** 1984 FJ60 Project Thread - DVP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That maybe have been the hardest brake job I have ever done. But then again I’ve never done a 79 El Dorado.

The pads were so tite in the calipers.
Brakes are spongy, but I still need to do the front and bleed them.
The e brake works half way now, but not real well.

I also replaced the tie rods, relay rod, and steering dampener.

Some new parts, time for an alignment.

I also did plugs and wires. Now I’m running 12.5 MPG!!!

First road trip this weekend. Maybe around 375 miles total.
I ran Lucas oil fuel treatment and kept the speed to 65mph and got a little over 14mpg! I was very excited.
Things I learned.
-I need a new rear bumper. The gas can and spare tire have to get out of the truck.
-Even after new tie rod, relay rod, steering dampner the steering is still loose and needs to be fixed.
-Sound deading material would be great for the truck!
-A working antenna would be great as well! Mine is broken off, I think it was suppose to be motorized.
-I need to fix the rear wiper and rear defrost. Neither work.
-I need to fix the windshield wiper sprayer. They do not spray.

Cleaned up my bezels some and installed new LED lights from city racer.
They are bright for sure.

Well this is suppose to be a picture of my very first camping trip, with the FJ60 in the mountains. However...

This is the rental to get me to the mountains, because of this.....

A split in one of the hoses kept the cruiser homebound. NAPA not Autozone had a hose that would work.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted on this thread. I’ve been gathering parts and figuring out solutions on other threads.

I hope its not to bad...........

Here’s the head rework thread.

Head is replaced and I also now have a working choke cable!
Unfortunately I also have an intake leak.
I bought a used intake/ exhaust and will be rebuilding hopefully this week.

While having the head work done, I did have some thermostat work done. I removed the small valves in the housing.

They had been plugged with copper and one was leaking I think. The threads on the valves had also been messed up with braze. So I retapped for a 3/8 plug and sealed them up.

I also have a steering gear box at WTOR being rebuilt now. I’m thinking about rebuilding the whole power steering system. Something is just not right with mine.

Pump works but makes some noise sometimes. The current gear box leaks.
I just want to clean up that whole area and get ready for some trips.

If you haven't replaced those shackle bushings I highly recommend you do. They will have an effect on the way the truck steers and handles!

If you haven't replaced those shackle bushings I highly recommend you do. They will have an effect on the way the truck steers and handles!

They are on the list to replace.
1-Intake manifold
2-power steering
3-bushings and shocks

I think they are all shot.

I was out checking some power steering items to replace and decided to do some simple but much needed work.

New hood rod grommet and rod support.
A little lube on the latching system for the hood, and my good is working much better.

1FF89F6F-7286-4526-B7B5-40872C7AE301.jpeg

The FJ60 has been down and out for a while since I’m fighting with the mechanic who fixed it, but didn’t put new parts on when he did. So I’ve been working on it.
Power steering system replaced with the Saginaw kit and pump. New steeringbox and hoses also.
Head has been checked and cleaned with a valve job.
Intake manifold has been rebuilt with all new parts. Hopefully soon we will be driving again.

Looks good.

Wow it feels good to be back on the road!
I need to tune up the carb and do an alignment. But she’s moving!

For Father’s Day, the truck got a good cleaning.
Liquid seems to be leaking down my back hatches. I think some is from the rear wiper sprayer. But there maybe some from other places. I removed part of the deal and cleaned as well as I could until it could be replaced.

It’s been a while and I’ve been busy, so it’s time to post up some new build information.
90F9E22F-F5CF-485D-9CE7-C37A23F4DA0F.jpeg

new fan clutch on the left.

48C8BE7A-E099-42B2-9754-1F36D93240B0.jpeg
New radiator from Amazon.
D69CB09A-38AF-4AB4-BFCA-0B2BFC1A2BE6.jpeg

new temp sender and protective boot.
F6BB6E47-79F7-4317-BB46-11DAFE98D31B.jpeg

a broken thermostat housing help lead up to a new thermostat and hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom