Builds ** 1984 FJ60 Project Thread - DVP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Put a longer rear brake line hose on there.

Yea that brake hose got a little tite! It’s on the short list.

I may have to come back in a while and handle the lift.

So for the parking brake, someone did an upgrade (probably from JT Outfitters) from the drum to disc for the rear. This poses a problem as the E-brake stock in the FJ60 does not play well with most of the brakes out there that are disc. Looks like you have a cobbled together e-brake system, which if it works when you put new pads in, should be neat.

Any way to tell if these are JT Oufitters upgrade of not.....so I can order pads and such.

take a pic. 99% of the time the rear brakes are the small GM metric calipers or a "Montecarlo" disk brake setup.
images

Actually, with the Ebrake cables it's likely an "ElDorado" setup.

31201__32810_std.jpg

take a pic. 99% of the time the rear brakes are the small GM metric calipers or a "Montecarlo" disk brake setup.
images

31201__32810_std.jpg

When I get it back up in the air for the front end, i'll take a pic and post it. I guess I need to get a jack that can handle the lift.

images

31201__32810_std.jpg

Pics and lots of them for us. But be aware that there are a few "kits" floating around out there (and have been over the years) so it could be any number of conversions. I believe @Mace is correct and the "El Dorado" conversion is the most common.

I installed LED lights all around the outside this weekend.
Im going to be in the market for gaskets as they were all dry rotted, and some actual light fixtures.
2 of my side markers were just lenses!

Had a good Saturday with the truck!
Picked up donuts for breakfast and pizza for dinner.

The voltage seems to be running high. Last week it was running around 13 or so. This weekend it’s in the 16 range.
I don’t really understand it.
Last week the horn would not work. This week I honked it 50 times, just bc I could.
I installed new front side running lights and
I also installed resistors on my LED blinkers to get of the hyper flash.

Had a good Saturday with the truck!
Picked up donuts for breakfast and pizza for dinner.

The voltage seems to be running high. Last week it was running around 13 or so. This weekend it’s in the 16 range.
I don’t really understand it.
Last week the horn would not work. This week I honked it 50 times, just bc I could.
I installed new front side running lights and
I also installed resistors on my LED blinkers to get of the hyper flash.

Check your battery to make sure you are not overvolting and possibly killing it. Could be the voltage regulator going out or could be your alt on the fritz.

Yea I need to put a meter on it and see what it’s really doing.
The alternator and battery are brand new. But they are autozone parts, I would have chosen something different for the truck. They were on there when I bought it.

This weekend I did several items on the 60.
I changed over to 4 runner wipers.
Replaced the voltage regulator to get away from the 16 volt + spikes.
Replaced the Lifts on the rear hatch.
Replaced the drivers side door light switch.

New Problems.....
Drivers side door still doesn't turn on the light.
New wipers on the drivers side doesn't go all the way over to the edge of the window.

I’ll have to check my linkage. Ill put it on my short list, after tie rod ends, breaks, steering dampener.........

But I can also check and see why my windshield wiper spray doesn’t work.

images

31201__32810_std.jpg

Here are the back brakes, what do you guys think?

"ElDorado" setup for sure. Hows that pbrake working out?

"ElDorado" setup for sure. Hows that pbrake working out?

It doesn't. :)
The back pads are shot, so maybe with new pads on it, it will...……
I'll google Eldorado and see what comes up.

Are you still using the 60 parking brake handle? The issue is usually that GM vehicles had a foot pedal with a big motion ratio and the Cruiser handle and your arm don’t offer enough leverage on the system.

@cruisermatt Yes I'm still using the parking handle in the cruiser. In a few pics back you can see a tie plate for the cables. It operates as it is, but the pads are so worn thin that they don't grip tite anymore. Hopefully I'll know more this afternoon.

@cruisermatt Yes I'm still using the parking handle in the cruiser. In a few pics back you can see a tie plate for the cables. It operates as it is, but the pads are so worn thin that they don't grip tite anymore. Hopefully I'll know more this afternoon.

Yeah, new pads will help, but it’s pretty well known that the Cruiser parking brake handle doesn’t offer enough leverage. Think about how much less surface area those brake pads have then a 60 rear drum brake.

@cruisermatt Being my first cruiser, I really had no idea. They are pretty small pads.
If I can get them semi working/ working and this thing stopping a little better......maybe after that I can look into a tie in plate or some other style of rear breaking system.

I installed LED lights all around the outside this weekend.
Im going to be in the market for gaskets as they were all dry rotted, and some actual light fixtures.
2 of my side markers were just lenses!

Toyota designed the front marker lights/housing with the gasket as part of the housing. They usually crumble after 25 years. I found City Racer LLC here: OEM Front Side Marker Lights for Land Cruiser FJ60 FJ62 Toyota Pick-up - LH and RH

to have them most reasonably priced. In other words you have to buy the complete housing/lens/light/screws all together as one assembly. I have in the past used gaskets from the rear side markers and made my own light housing from sheet metal but prob easier to just order the toyota part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom