1982 FJ40 Restoration Questions for High Resale Value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Engine

IMG_0859.JPG

Passenger floor pan. The drive side was a bit worse but I did a bondoration on it about 4 years ago. I'm thinking to just cut out the bad and tack something in place. The rest of the metal is pretty dam good.

IMG_0861.JPG

very nice 82...these last three years are the best imo

Two frame issues ... as someone mentioned was likely the case. Both sides are similar.

IMG_0866.JPG

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow. If someone wants a close up of something...just let me know.

It is amazing to me the older cruisers had such great steel, but, after about 1978 or so, frames and steel became thin and so rust prone. Reason I say this , is because drivetrains got better, but , foundations did not. To me, a 1969 with a 1983 mechanicals is what should have been. Well, gas conservation, safety etc.. this had to happen.

After seeing the pics-not worth restoring for more value. Sell it for what you can get out of it as is and walk away. Its time dude. Let someone else decide what direction they want to take it. That thing is in bad shape. If you bondo it up and sell it youll just deceive some poor sucker into paying too much for it which is wrong in my opinion. Leave it as is so someone knows what they are getting and can make an honest asesment of how to restore it.

^^this. In the end you'll make more money and not waste your time if you just sell as is. If you were fixing it up to keep I'd say go for it but i wouldn't invest the time, let alone money, to just end up selling.

Also, please don't bondo and sell.

D

Prob 10x that hiding just waiting for you to uncover. That's when you realize what a challenge you've got. Kinda sucks looking back at all the work I did on mine but I don't like loosing and did everything myself.

Yikes. If you insist on fixing it up, I would take the tub off and have it sand blasted, see what youre working with. Then make a decision to fix the body (I wouldnt) or order a replacement tub. If you want it nice and have money to do so, I would order a Teseven tub in stainless. Having that fixed is going to be very expensive. With an aftermarket tub 99% of buyers wont be able to tell, especially if you put a factory shaped (stock or fiberglass) trans hump in there. The Stainless would be a nice selling feature IMO. While the bed is off fix or replace the frame.

My frame was good, body was about 1/2 that rusty and my complete restoration took a lot of money and a lot of time. I might be able to break even on money spent, but I cant imagine what how deep I would have been if I didnt do a lot of the work.

Sell it as is. Move on.

A beautifully restored & well documented with pictures 78 soft top FJ40 (non USA) just sold for 30K on BAT. I thought that was pretty strong, and it was one the best non USA ones I have seen.

You can't really anticipate which will sell for more. We've done two E-Bay cruisers in the last 5 years. The first, "Ebay1", sold in ten days at 20,000.00, the second ,"ebay2, four years later, took three months to break 20,000 but finally sold for 23,500.00.
Ebay1 , way less stock. Ebay2 , very stock. Guess which cost twice as much to build?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4foHDS7T3oqn5n9e2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GiWl1RTqlnLgREq02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom