Builds 1982 Build Thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just for clarity ... What I am referring to as "Panhard Bar" is tied into the rear axle.

This is in the front and understand that one. The one I am referring to is tied into the rear suspension.
Panhard.jpeg

Is this what you’re referring to? If so that’s your load sensing proportioning valve (LSPV). It increasing your rear brake pressure as the bed goes down with more weight.

View attachment 3550207

Is this what you’re referring to? If so that’s your load sensing proportioning valve (LSPV). It increasing your rear brake pressure as the bed goes down with more weight.

YUP !! Had no idea this would have anything to do with the brakes. LOL

Can it be removed ?? Seems like something to break off on a trail. LOL

get yourself a FSM.

I do and have looked all over the suspension chapters. I had no idea it had anything to do with the brakes.

EDIT: That sounded kind of dicky and wasn't intended that way.

Reduces bump steer from the rear axle ???
no. the torque rod is parallel to and almost the same length as the draglink that goes from the steering box to the knuckle. The torque rod ensures the axle doesn't roll under braking - which would result in the truck turning right under compression/braking.

The rear axle is just the LSPV. Adjust it or replace with manual proportioning valve.

The LSPV eventually starts leaking. I replaced mine with a summit brand manual proportioning valve. Works pretty good. Just gotta remember to adjust it when you load your bed down
A35FF626-E75F-4FDA-9A3D-B6FFD94F8141.jpeg

That small diameter diagonal is for the Load Sensing Proportioning Valve, it detects how much weight is in the bed and adjusts the pressure to the rear brakes.

As for the rest, yes I can tell you all of itbis stock other than springs and shocks, I sold you the truck...

This is in the front and understand that one. The one I am referring to is tied into the rear suspension.
Brake proportion rod, connected to the brake proportion valve.

I finally took off the old Rancho shocks. I was able to compress all 4 by hand (easily), so I'm going to guess they're shot. I am also assuming the springs are still in good shape, since the height of the truck didn't move a bit. Time to start searching for shocks !! Any recommendations?

Rancho Shocks.jpg

I've been doing some reading and digging. I'm not an expert on shocks, so I'm hoping to put some numbers out there and then get some input from you all. According to several threads, KYB is considered "stock" for an 82. I took Rancho 5000 off the truck. Below are the measurements (approximate).

KYB Front: Compressed @ 11" and Extended @ 16.8"
KYB Rear: Compressed @ 14" and Extended @ 21.8"

Rancho Front: Compressed @ 13" and Extended @ 20.5"
Rancho Rear: Compressed @ 16" and Extended @ 26"

So what are the benefits/drawbacks of running extended shocks with stock springs? If it's survived this long with extended shocks, does it really matter what I put on there (within reason)?

I’ve always gone with bilstein but they irritate me in a sense that you can get anybody who speaks English on the phone who knows anything about shocks. I would go with OME shocks. People seem to like them. As far as shock size, I’d imagine the extended shock would blow sooner because it’s constantly being maxed out on compression…..

If your truck is no longer stock, you need to figure out your actual travel measured from the mounting points that you're using. Don't guess.

On my leaf spring 88 I used a chain
come-along to compress the springs to the bump stops to measure max compression and also measured full droop. That is the most accurate measurement I could get for shock travel. Then I looked for shocks that fit those measurements. I'm talking fit, not damping and such.

If you have a lift kit that came complete with shocks you can probably get away with matching the travel specs for your replacements. I had those cheapie Rancho RS 5000 shocks on the rear with Chevy springs and they worked well for me. Bilstein on the front.

The "extended travel" shocks are most likely the same shocks so as long as they don't bottom out or top out yes that is your "within reason" example.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If your truck is no longer stock, you need to figure out your actual travel measured from the mounting points that you're using. Don't guess.

On my leaf spring 88 I used a chain
come-along to compress the springs to the bump stops to measure max compression and also measured full droop. That is the most accurate measurement I could get for shock travel. Then I looked for shocks that fit those measurements. I'm talking fit, not damping and such.

If you have a lift kit that came complete with shocks you can probably get away with matching the travel specs for your replacements. I had those cheapie Rancho RS 5000 shocks on the rear with Chevy springs and they worked well for me. Bilstein on the front.

The "extended travel" shocks are most likely the same shocks so as long as they don't bottom out or top out yes that is your "within reason" example.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

As far as I know, my truck is "stock". I believe the springs are original, but the Rancho shocks were added a long the way. After removing the Rancho's, I got no noticeable change in the measurement in suspension height (fender to center of hub).

Thanks for the advice on measuring for shocks. Compressing the springs makes sense for compression, but how do I measure droop?

I’ve always gone with bilstein but they irritate me in a sense that you can get anybody who speaks English on the phone who knows anything about shocks. I would go with OME shocks. People seem to like them. As far as shock size, I’d imagine the extended shock would blow sooner because it’s constantly being maxed out on compression…..
I've always liked Bilstein as well. I would likely order from a dealer, so I get someone who knows suspension. I am also looking at OME, as I have had them on LC's before.

Updating with additional options ...

Dobinson Front: Compressed @ 12" and Extended @ 19.4"
Dobinson Rear: Compressed @ 14.3" and Extended @ 23.2"

If it's stock you should be good to go ordering whatever the shock manufacturer lists for it. I have never tried Dobinson's but I see good reviews in the 40 and 60 section here on Mudd.

After removing the Rancho's, I got no noticeable change in the measurement in suspension height (fender to center of hub).
As I recall Rancho 5000 shocks are not a gas shock. Which means they would not be contributing to any lift. You would also bre able to compress them.

My memory could be off on the Rancho.

As I recall Rancho 5000 shocks are not a gas shock. Which means they would not be contributing to any lift. You would also bre able to compress them.

My memory could be off on the Rancho.

Thanks. Shocks aren't my forte, as you can tell. I've really only dealt with OME or dead factory shocks in the past. The OME shocks come with a big zip tie holding them closed and are a nightmare to compress by hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom