Builds 1982 Build Thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's hard to find details on some of the shocks that will fit these trucks. I'm hoping this will help others make decisions in the future. All measurements are approximate and in inches.

FrontRear
CompressedExtendedCompressedExtended
Stock (KYB)11.016.813.921.9
Rancho 5000X11.317.414.925.1
Bilstein 4600 (OEM)10.917.112.419.3
Bilstein 4600 (0" Lift)10.917.114.122.3
Dobinsons 11.919.414.323.3
Rancho 9000XL13.320.616.326.0
OME11.819.114.423.5
IronMan Foam Cell11.719.014.023.1

Not sure if this helps but here are the part numbers for the Bilstein 5100s I installed on my 83 which I *think* has the stock springs.

24-185684 front
33-185552 rear
Awesome. Thanks for sharing !!

Ok. Updated ...
FrontRear
Shock BrandPart #PriceCompressedExtendedPart #PriceCompressedExtended
Stock (KYB)KG5437$195 (Set)11.016.8KG5438$195 (Set)13.921.9
Rancho 5000XRS55136$250 (Set)11.317.4RS55116$250 (Set)14.925.1
Rancho 9000XLRS999115$445 (Set)13.320.6RS999112$445 (Set)16.326.0
Bilstein 4600 (OEM)24-184601$356 (Set)10.917.124-188203$356 (Set)12.419.3
Bilstein 4600 (0" Lift)24-184601$380 (Set)10.917.124-002585$380 (Set)14.122.3
Bilstein 510024-185684$110 (EA)12.920.533-185552$110 (EA)15.925.9
Dobinsons GS59-639$310 (Pair)11.919.4GS59-649$310 (Pair)14.323.3
OME60061$127 (EA)11.819.160032$127 (EA)14.423.5
IronMan Nitro Gas12639GR$125 (EA)11.719.012636GR$125 (EA)14.023.1

Started suspension today. Got the rear Shackles and bushings swapped and got the front started; hoping to finish tomorrow. Overall, the rear was pretty straight forward and everything came together smooth. The front was a bit of a fight and definitely slowed me down. The sway bar end links were fairly rocked, so thinking about ordering an all new set, instead of repairing this set.

I'll share more pics and thoughts on the setup when complete, but wanted to share a few pics comparing the stock Shackles to the IronMan set up.

Rear Shackle Comparison.jpg
Front Shackle Comparison.jpg

I did the bulk of this a few weeks ago, but went on vacation, and I just finished up today. Changed out all the suspension bushings, hangers, bolts, shocks, and steering stabilizer. It still rides like an old pickup truck, but she's far less harsh and far less body roll. Overall, it went pretty smooth, with only a few hiccups. For anyone looking to do this, I would give it :banana::banana: and maybe :banana: with a buddy to help.

I went with the Bilstein 4600 shocks. I'm going to guess the ride felt so harsh because the Rancho's were the wrong size and were bottoming out. The Ironman shackles are just so nice and come with geasable pins. So, I'm hoping that will help with a long life. I went with the master bushing set from LCE (I think it's energy suspension) and it came with absolutely everything needed.

I'll share some more pics later.

New Shocks and Shackles.jpg

I did run into 2 issues during the process, the stabilizer bar links and the stabilizer bar bushing brackets.

Stabilizer Bar Links: You can see that the old links and the new links are a different size. I'm not sure what's right, but I ordered these based on the of my stabilizer bar. That being said, they just sit wonky. The old ones did too, so not really sure at the moment. Feedback welcome.

Old v New Links.jpg

New Links Installed ...
New Stabilizer.jpg

Old Links Before Removal ...
End Link Bushings.jpg

Stabilizer Bar Bushing Brackets: So, I had tightened them down by hand and then while I was on my test drive I remembered I never torqued to spec. Went to torque (10 ft lbs) one of the bolts just snapped. I think there's only 2 options here. 1: Tap it out and find new bolts. 2: Just run without it. Seems like a lot of folks go without, but not sure of the repercussions with that. Again, any insights welcome.

I did run into 2 issues during the process, the stabilizer bar links and the stabilizer bar bushing brackets.

Stabilizer Bar Links: You can see that the old links and the new links are a different size. I'm not sure what's right, but I ordered these based on the of my stabilizer bar. That being said, they just sit wonky. The old ones did too, so not really sure at the moment. Feedback welcome.

View attachment 3606359
New Links Installed ...
View attachment 3606360
Old Links Before Removal ...
View attachment 3606361

Stabilizer Bar Bushing Brackets: So, I had tightened them down by hand and then while I was on my test drive I remembered I never torqued to spec. Went to torque (10 ft lbs) one of the bolts just snapped. I think there's only 2 options here. 1: Tap it out and find new bolts. 2: Just run without it. Seems like a lot of folks go without, but not sure of the repercussions with that. Again, any insights welcome.
The new links are too short. Ideally the links would want to be long enough that the bar can be bolted on without much (if any) tension on the bushings while at ride height, that way they can flex both up and down without breaking as the suspension cycles.

The new links are too short. Ideally the links would want to be long enough that the bar can be bolted on without much (if any) tension on the bushings while at ride height, that way they can flex both up and down without breaking as the suspension cycles.
Thanks. Kind of what I thought. I may just reuse the old ones with the new bushings and washers.

Any problems with completely removing that system?

Thanks. Kind of what I thought. I may just reuse the old ones with the new bushings and washers.

no problem deleting it.
on my 79, one side used a two bolt regular mount and the other side was one bolt and the othe end just "locked" into the frame. that side pulled out repeatedly and I just pulled it all.

Wouldn't cause any problems to remove it, although you may or may not like the way the truck handles. On my 60 I drove for years without the sway bar because the front springs were stiff enough that the body roll wasn't significant enough to need it, but once I swapped over to softer, better flexing springs I felt it needed the bar to help keep things civil on the road.

Its really quick to remove an re-install, I'd remove it and take it for a spin to see how it feels.

Hold the phone. Would you be interested in a set of Drew Pierson Sway Bar disconnects? Someplace I have a pair that I couldn't use after doing the cross-over steering. I will need to dig to figure out where I put them.

Hold the phone. Would you be interested in a set of Drew Pierson Sway Bar disconnects? Someplace I have a pair that I couldn't use after doing the cross-over steering. I will need to dig to figure out where I put them.
Shoot me a PM if you find them. Going to be a couple of days before I have time to do anything else. As long as I can make them work, I'd definitely be interested.

Shoot me a PM if you find them. Going to be a couple of days before I have time to do anything else. As long as I can make them work, I'd definitely be interested.
If you are not familiar, these things are not only functional, they are a work of art.

Cool. Just let me know if you find them. Would be great to have !

Hey @pappy ... Any luck on those links?

Started suspension today. Got the rear Shackles and bushings swapped and got the front started; hoping to finish tomorrow. Overall, the rear was pretty straight forward and everything came together smooth. The front was a bit of a fight and definitely slowed me down. The sway bar end links were fairly rocked, so thinking about ordering an all new set, instead of repairing this set.

I'll share more pics and thoughts on the setup when complete, but wanted to share a few pics comparing the stock Shackles to the IronMan set up.

View attachment 3595191View attachment 3595190

If anyone is interested in my OE shackles and pins, let me know! They're actually in really good shape. I think a bit of de-greaser and some fresh paint and they'd be great for a restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom