Builds 1982 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So ... It's finally time.

I have basically just let this truck languish under a car cover, while we worked on our house. We're not done with the house, but I can't look at this truck sitting there any longer. I've pulled it into the garage and I'm starting to make a plan.

I'm hoping to find a rebuilt stock carb for now. Mine just isn't right and is missing the part that allows you to adjust the idle screw. I'm curious how it will feel with a better running carb before I do anything else to the engine. I'm also hoping to resurrect this thing as a power steering and AC 22R. I've found a donor and I'm hoping to make it happen. I think power steering is a bigger priority, but one can hope.

That being said, I will likely do a desmog and Weber down the road. I had a desmogged 2F in the past and was pleasantly surprised by the performance that thing had. If/when I go this route, I will likely replace all the major seals, gaskets, and maintenance items (thermostats, coolant hoses, etc.).

Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated.

NIce, glad you are working on a plan for this beautiful truck. Just a few thoughts I have and have dealt with regarding my 1980. I had the stock carb rebuilt and it runs great. I messed with it for a a month or so then gave up and took it to a guy in town who was familiar with the Aisan carbs. I keep thinking I want to go EFI at some point, but this thing just runs too good with the carb.
I do not have power steering and do not mind it at all. I am running 33"x10.5" and it is pretty easy to man handle the wheel. I would also like to have A/C, but the vent windows and back window slider work just fine for me. I do not drive the truck as much as I would like.
Looking forward to seeing what you decide, good luck.

NIce, glad you are working on a plan for this beautiful truck. Just a few thoughts I have and have dealt with regarding my 1980. I had the stock carb rebuilt and it runs great. I messed with it for a a month or so then gave up and took it to a guy in town who was familiar with the Aisan carbs. I keep thinking I want to go EFI at some point, but this thing just runs too good with the carb.
I do not have power steering and do not mind it at all. I am running 33"x10.5" and it is pretty easy to man handle the wheel. I would also like to have A/C, but the vent windows and back window slider work just fine for me. I do not drive the truck as much as I would like.
Looking forward to seeing what you decide, good luck.
Great insight. I'm leaning towards keeping a carb long-term, but everything I read seems to say the Weber is better than stock after desmog. I know that's a bad word for many people, but I'm pretty sure most of that stuff is inoperable (or under performing) after 30 years. EFI is one of those things that sounds great, but I'm just not sure the performance gains are worth the cost. I have an 88 22RE and it's very reliable, but the power is basically the same.

AC is a pipe dream, honestly, but feel like I have to try before writing it off.

Power steering is MUST. We have some places we go that require some tight slow turning maneuvers and power steering would be amazing. I'm honestly surprised no one has created a bolt on kit using a Saginaw box. I feel like that is pretty common in the 40 and 60 world.

After doing some reading, I may look at an electric fan and and electric PS pump. Over on YotaTech, people said it helped overall performance, since it is less mass for the engine to spin. Anyone have experience or thoughts on this?

My 1980 with the original 20R and the Weber is fantastic. Starts right up, idles well, runs just fine. I know it's an old 20R but for what it is I like it. If I want to go fast I'll take the Tacoma. I haven't completely desmogged it yet. The best update to the Weber was a fuel pressure regulator. The stock mechanical pump output is around 12 PSI and the Weber only needs about 2.5. Before the regulator it was really hard to start (would ALWAYS) flood, go figure...

My 1980 with the original 20R and the Weber is fantastic. Starts right up, idles well, runs just fine. I know it's an old 20R but for what it is I like it. If I want to go fast I'll take the Tacoma. I haven't completely desmogged it yet. The best update to the Weber was a fuel pressure regulator. The stock mechanical pump output is around 12 PSI and the Weber only needs about 2.5. Before the regulator it was really hard to start (would ALWAYS) flood, go figure...
With the lift it has on it, were you planning to do 33's?

I'm not sure what the proper term is, but I'm planning to "re-seal" (replace all major gaskets without removing the engine) the truck down the line. What other items should I do while I'm in there? Water pump? Timing chain? Head studs? Exhaust studs? Anything?

With the lift it has on it, were you planning to do 33's?

Do you mean the '80 I have in my garage or the 82 you bought from me? If you mean the blue one, no. While 33s would fit with the lift, without PS and 4.10 gears it wouldn't be as fun a drive. I'd leave it on the 31s.

As for my '80, it already has 33s and 4.37s plus factory power steering. So not too bad from that little 20R. I kinda dig it. I don't dig the crappy 4-speed, especially after being spoiled with a W56 in my 4Runner. Best 5 speed ever!

Do you mean the '80 I have in my garage or the 82 you bought from me? If you mean the blue one, no. While 33s would fit with the lift, without PS and 4.10 gears it wouldn't be as fun a drive. I'd leave it on the 31s.

As for my '80, it already has 33s and 4.37s plus factory power steering. So not too bad from that little 20R. I kinda dig it. I don't dig the crappy 4-speed, especially after being spoiled with a W56 in my 4Runner. Best 5 speed ever!
The blue one. I'm considering 33's and 4.88's, but agree that it will be rough without power steering. That is one of the biggest reasons I am looking to add power steering. I think the 33's will be a great look.

I'd love to have a tilt steering column in this thing. Seems impossible to find an 82 tilt steering column, but it seems easy to find an 84-88 used. Anyone ever make this swap? Think it wold work?

I'd love to have a tilt steering column in this thing. Seems impossible to find an 82 tilt steering column, but it seems easy to find an 84-88 used. Anyone ever make this swap? Think it wold work?
iirc the main underdash bolt holes dont match. but nothing a little fab couldn't fix.

I swapped out the carb for a rebuilt original unit, even without everything put back together. I'm super excited.

To disconnect the throttle "arm" from the carb, I had to remove a small clip (hidden but location shown by red arrow) and I'm not sure it will be serviceable moving forward. I found the part number, but it appears to be discontinued. Anyone know if I could use something from a different vehicle? Are these universal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Throttle Linkage.jpg

Screenshot 2023-08-26 1.32.31 PM.png

Anyone? Any thoughts on finding a replacement for this?

Clip.jpg

Hey, Josh, got the carb on already bud? That clip can be reused, Massage it a bit and chuck it back on there.

Hey, Josh, got the carb on already bud? That clip can be reused, Massage it a bit and chuck it back on there.
Thanks. It runs very well. I was just going to see if I could get a new one before I buttoned everything back up.

So ... After waiting out the heat for a few weeks, I finally got the carb buttoned up officially. Man ... The carb I got from @mongoose2231 makes that thing run like new. I am shocked at how good a rebuilt card from the 80's and not fresh, but not old, gas still runs like a dream.

Side note ... I'm hearing a "whine" for lack of better terms from the drive train. It's not high-pitched like a loose fan belt, but not ruling that out. If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks!

So, I found a few minutes of free time tonight. My water temp gauge has been dead since I've had the truck. I was dreading that the gauge itself was broken. I replaced the sensor that provides a reading to the actual gauge. It was a 15 minute job and did the trick!

On to the next project!

A while back, I was able to get my hands on some power steering parts (pump, brackets, hoses, gear box, etc.). Tonight, while I was changing the temp gauge sensor, I started looking at the brackets and the block. It appears that my exhaust manifold "insulator" is in the way. Can anyone with power steering (or who has done the swap) tell me if there is a different style of "insulator"? It would be greatly appreciated.

This is what mine looks like ...

Exhaust Manifold.png

@msahr Any insight on the leaf springs in the lift kit? They are extremely stiff and bounce me around like crazy. I'd like to know what I'm working with before I make any changes. Thanks man.

@msahr Any insight on the leaf springs in the lift kit? They are extremely stiff and bounce me around like crazy. I'd like to know what I'm working with before I make any changes. Thanks man.

No, I don't think so. Those springs have been on there for a L O N G time. They were on the truck when I bought them. Try rebuilding the shackles and bushings? I don't remember if the bushings are rubber or nylon. Or remove one of the shorter springs? It's a short wheelbase 4x4 with an empty bed so it's gonna be a little bouncy. I think it's part of the charm, myself.

No, I don't think so. Those springs have been on there for a L O N G time. They were on the truck when I bought them. Try rebuilding the shackles and bushings? I don't remember if the bushings are rubber or nylon. Or remove one of the shorter springs? It's a short wheelbase 4x4 with an empty bed so it's gonna be a little bouncy. I think it's part of the charm, myself.
Hey. I can tell they've been there for a while. LOL

I appreciate the bounciness, but not when my head hits the roof. In the short run, I may just deal with it, but I think long term, I'll likely look at something else (OME, Dobinson's, etc.). Time will tell !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom