Builds 1978 Mustard FJ40 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Driver side done!!! Love how it turned out.

LLVd4Np.jpg

4rajRAi.jpg

Iuc7fzn.jpg

SntOgEP.jpg

qzi57DO.jpg

Small update: Fan controller cooked so it was bypassed so the fan would run all the time and apparently my battery didn't like that and died on an outing. Will have to replace the controller now haha.

Also added a new project to the fleet!

c2xEyNs.jpg

Need to buff the paint again since it has faded from sitting again and that should blend it all in pretty well. Then clean up some over spray and this sides good to go!

APC6Ydp.jpg

keIGT9k.jpg

fJI2TIY.jpg

0bcqpS2.jpg
What paint are u using? Looks really nice match

I’ve looked at the oem step but I like keeping the step removable for when they are grown I can take it off and leave it off.

Started paint correction today to see what I have to work with better. I’m very pleased with the results. Did the hood and front valance today.

What I started with.

0A610CEC-812B-445C-9B66-0CC408D0C213_zps58uggkpt.jpg

And the end result!

6C1199E2-844C-4FED-B66A-CC91CA5DD9D1_zpsyuyugyxd.jpg
@dbaird can I ask what you did for paint correction and what you used for buffing/polishing? I also have a Mustard '78 and would love to restore some shine, but nervous about damaging the paint.
thanks

F810386A-5BD8-4047-AF8F-498F1D704A36.jpeg

@jwall3000
I used an eletribuffer and some polishing compound and just went slow to avoid cutting or burning through the paint. It didn’t take much for the shine to start coming through and was in much worse shape than your paint. That should buff up pretty quick and look way better!

@dmaddox thank you!

@jwall3000
I used an eletribuffer and some polishing compound and just went slow to avoid cutting or burning through the paint. It didn’t take much for the shine to start coming through and was in much worse shape than your paint. That should buff up pretty quick and look way better!

@dmaddox thank you!
Thanks, will give it a shot, appreciate it.

There was a 4x4 focused cars and coffee event in Utah up in the mountains that I decided to attend with my 40. This was the farthest I've ever driven it and the first time it's been in the canyons in my ownership. It was an adventure and I look forward to fixing some things and to do it again.

Off to a great start when about 5 minutes into the trip I realized the battery was dead. Luckily my dad was able to bring me a good battery so I could get back on the road.

dHpBxFf.jpg

Heading up the canyon afterwards, it did great until just about the top, I wasn't sure what was wrong at the time but by the top it was running really rough and did not want to idle. Stalled once but luckily it restarted and made it. On the way down the other side it started running right again and made it the rest of the way to Kamas running fine.

C3gGFZS.jpg

Y7LPd4p.jpg

Made it to the Cars and Coffee and was in some great company. 2 other 40's were there and some very nice old broncos.

mDj0GU7.jpg

Then the return trip home! Stopped at the bottom of the hill to cool down and hope the returning climb would be better. That is Midway and Heber in the background.

byc9cuK.jpg

Made it back to the top and things were not happy haha, Back to running rough so I stopped to let it cool down and when shut off I could hear the gas in the tank was boiling and when i got out there was fuel streaming down both sides of the block onto the headers. That was a bit of a pucker moment. The muffler located under the passenger side floor was boiling the fuel tank so that is a good push to redo the exhaust. I have already gotten new manifolds to get rid of the awful gasser style ones that cook everything. Once cooled down it refused to start again so I had to throw in the towel and ask my brother to go to my house and get my truck and trailer and come save me from the top of the mountain.

AU5sTQW.jpg

Not a bad place to break down though.

78NJctq.jpg

LWJBALN.jpg

All loaded up and back down in Park City to eat before heading home. This setup got a lot of attention driving through town and back to Salt Lake. Saw many people taking pictures along the way haha.

eqTaMLj.jpg

So now I have a few things I would like to get buttoned up before trying that again. Exhaust will be re done, I would like some matting on the floor as well to cut down noise and am now looking into a Holley Sniper EFI system for it as well. It was a fun adventure and I can't wait to try again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom