Builds 1978 Mustard FJ40 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Old fuel pump died 2 days before cruiserfest so we had to take my Dad’s cruiser to that instead. Found what I can tell is the closest replacement for what was on there and it just arrived. So that needs to go in this week. Considered switching over to a mechanical pump but the engine mount is in the way so had to stick with the electric one.

3A675652-66BD-41C3-9F6C-E50B68E824E9_zpsuyhz7z8t.jpg

That back door striker plate could be fixed with a bit of JB Weld and then a file after it cures! I did that to mine about 5 years ago and it is still hanging in there!! (Kinda a cheapo fix, but hey, if it works why not!!)

Cheers!

That smittybuilt mount is the same that the FJCompany uses. Cool add on, I was thinking of doing one myself, but filled with Rum.. :)

That back door striker plate could be fixed with a bit of JB Weld and then a file after it cures! I did that to mine about 5 years ago and it is still hanging in there!! (Kinda a cheapo fix, but hey, if it works why not!!)

Cheers!

Thanks I will have to give that a try!

awesome work. Very inspirational.

Gonna get some factory steel wheels and get those tires tucked back in?

I have considered eventually running stock wheels and going to a 33x10.5" We will see if that ever happens though.

That smittybuilt mount is the same that the FJCompany uses. Cool add on, I was thinking of doing one myself, but filled with Rum.. :)

Yeah their instagram account is what what made choose to do this style mount. I love it!

@dirtywilks

Thanks for compliment! Its getting there slowly but surely. I have a list of some more stuff i want to do until its “done” or i make another list of more i want to do haha.

Inspiration for sure, mine has all the same rust spots plus some, but I am too nervous to start cutting and welding. Those quarter panels look like a nice option. Nice work!

@dirtywilks

Thanks for compliment! Its getting there slowly but surely. I have a list of some more stuff i want to do until its “done” or i make another list of more i want to do haha.
It will never end! Once I move mine out here and get it together Ill arrange something to stop by. . I’m not going to lie, drove by the street and my first thought was.... “I wonder if the person knows what they have...?” Then I recognized it. Looks solid man. Cheers

Guess its time to update this since i have been working on mt 40 more lately.

Got a hi lift so we made a mount for it.

rH7oywn.jpg

WgptN8r.jpg

9wTrX8J.jpg

Then painted in black and called it good

eLuCLP6.jpg

f3vEfG4.jpg

Then came the scary part. Ive always loved the look of the donaldson filters ive seen on australian cruisers so when i found an old one i decided i had to use it.

No going back now!

q2PXDU3.jpg

SDcJwOe.jpg

Shortened the mushroom on top so it looked a little better. Still need to plumb it to the engine.

QZotznU.jpg

Then found a winch to rebuild for the front.

x4cIiZ4.jpg

VKM38YA.jpg

99v13Py.jpg

So that brings this up to date. List for the near future i hope is finish the intake up, rebuild and mount the winch and get a new set of tires. Thinking of going to a 33x10.5 BFG since i think it will look right with those.

Long over due update. Cruiserfest 2019 is rapidly approaching and i would really like to drive this turd there this year. So started by getting a winch finally put on. Warn 8274 that matches the condition of the rest of the vehicle.

JOjEZs6.jpg

kad5RxF.jpg

Ygj8v0C.jpg

Also ordered some more paint to finish the spots that could use some love and the rest of the stuff to finish my intake should be here tomorrow! I will update this up until I finally get to drive this thing to cruiserfest.

For sure! Just let me know when you’re back in town!

So a while back I found a slightly beat up jerry can and decided it needed to be on my 40 somehow and after looking at options i decided to go this route since my door is far from pristine.

Before.

940D8591-95CC-4951-8FEF-04BB2E4871A7_zps5ipxpago.jpg

Smittybilt mount, some isolators and we’re good to go.

A72B5EBC-56DE-4B48-8DE4-BC514B6B7960_zpsemon3ojq.jpg

Also had to rotate my handle up but that was easy enough.

3D02CA75-A0E5-42E9-B4C4-E09BD44F283D_zpsvn3jm4tp.jpg

ECF67AC4-180D-46CA-B9B4-7209407CB561_zpsh47qzgi0.jpg

Made the license plate bracket out of an old street sign.

FBA24176-B082-4C69-BBD6-8211F2C0F1BF_zpseevomenp.jpg

Door rattles a bit. I think i need a new striker. This one is 40 years old and shows it.

37898E64-C920-4CC4-9CB7-44030BA25C31_zpsoccccees.jpg

Overall I’m very happy with how it turned out.

How did you mount the 4 isolators onto the door itself? Just drilled through the door with a nut on the back?

@Will Van yup thats how its on there. It flexs a little with the weight but not bad and doesn’t make any noise on mine.

RwlA4Fv.jpg

Another update is i got new tires to try. They are 35’s and im not sure they will fit so i got one mounted to try it out and see if i like the look or not.
qT1jnOk.jpg

The electric fan is a great idea. My dad put one on his '78 2F motor back in the day......amazing how much quieter the engine seemed with the electric fan only kicking in when it needed to rather than the 6 blade fan.

The plan with the 35’s was to make room for it to be drivable. Since I have a stock 40 already i dont mind chopping this one some since its more restomod at this point already.

Drawing out the plan.

xgx4gD8.jpg

Then start chopping. We cut the lip off and will reuse it to keep the quarter panels strength and look intact.

ju2Q3rH.jpg

usagpXL.jpg

Lips stripped of paint. Waiting for some love.

Ww3qr00.jpg

Decided to flex it out a bit and make sure we cut enough out. This will never be a rock crawler just more of a desert driver and mall crawler. So looks like plenty to me.

cFpR1bh.jpg

5HdENHk.jpg

njOdvWN.jpg

Stretched out the lips and mocked them up. This keeps that factory rounded look in the wheel well.

5RJTT0f.jpg

And welded in. Body work and paint on this side then on to the other!!

QVcnhmU.jpg

DPENepD.jpg

SrWMdEg.jpg

Very happy how it’s coming along!

When I saw that line I thought MY GOD MAN NO!!!!!!

Then you retained the OEM look with the lip and I was okay...

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom