Builds 1977 FJ40 - USA Spec Restoration - Father & Son Project - AKA "Belle" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota Riveted the Frames together for most part & only Stitched welded certain locations like shackle mount perches for example

this would point to and suggest a Flexible Frame Design by Toyota on a Limited Level

anyone else have input on this for @Vexvader o_O

Toyota Riveted the Frames together for most part & only Stitched welded certain locations like shackle mount perches for example this would point to and suggest a Flexible Frame Design by Toyota on a Limited Level

anyone else have input on this for @Vexvader o_O

Most of the old muscle cars were riveted as well. My last project was a 1967 Chevy C10. All of the cross-members were riveted together by Chevrolet during assembly. I think was to save time and money. An old hot-rod trick was to weld all the seams where the cross-members and frame met. This would help to "stiffen up" the frame and suspension and help it handle better.

I am new the 4x4 community. I would assume you want a 4x4 frame to flex and not be stiff, but when I saw that there were several "frame stiffener" kits available, that puzzled me???

FJ40 Frame Boxing Kit

Have any of you guys install these? Or boxed your frames?

R1129-full.jpg

Thanks,

Matthew

Vexvader I am so sorry i did not get pics for you. Went home Friday from work with a 102 fever Feel better now. Do you still need pics? Offer still stands. I have kept my rig stock. Let me know what you need. Again I apologize.

Vexvader I am so sorry i did not get pics for you. Went home Friday from work with a 102 fever Feel better now. Do you still need pics? Offer still stands. I have kept my rig stock. Let me know what you need. Again I apologize.
No worries at all. I am glad you are feeling better!!

Another member sent me this pics. I think is for the 1/2 door that has two hinges on the tub. The ambulance door has one hinge on the tub.

Does yours have this bracket for the lower hinge on the tub?

Door hinge backing plate (circle).jpg

I didn't get anything done on the FJ40 today because I poured a 5x5 slab coming out of my basement. 18 x 60 lbs bags of quickcrete... needless to say, I am beat :dead:!

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1674.JPG

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1672.JPG

Pluses IMO :

- Front Disc Brakes

- 2F engine

- 4 speed (H42 assuming ) so u have a synchronized first gear

- hard top has Flip Out rear windows

- the best part is u will have hours of Family Father Son Time ahead ...............;)

I love those old assembly line photographs. Thanks for posting up.

View attachment 1837594

I love those old factory

Where are you taking your frame to be cleaned?
My buddy who has a 1980 FJ40 just got his frame back last week from a guy in Gainesville GA. It was sandblasted and painted and looks great. He is affordable and does good work. I can PM you the contact info it you would like.

Sky Blue is definitely the color to paint it. My favorite color of all the FJ's for sure.

Cool project and build, I'll be keeping tabs on this one!

My buddy who has a 1980 FJ40 just got his frame back last week from a guy in Gainesville GA. It was sandblasted and painted and looks great. He is affordable and does good work. I can PM you the contact info it you would like.

i was thinking more of dipping it, unfortunately for mine, it has to be split open to be blasted, since i have rust in the seams. but thanks.

It looks like my "Father Son" project has turned into a "Father, son, and Daughter" project. Hahaha!!!

That is totally fine with me! She is a hard worker!!!

Done today:

* Getting the frame ready to be blasted and painted
- Took off the steering box
- Took off the motor mounts
- Pulled the motor, trans, and transfer case
- Pulled out the back braces that are rusted beyond repair (Still trying to find new ones)
- Took off the bump stops
- Took off a dozen random bolts and brackets

Here are few pics... I will post some more ASAP

Jud.jpg

F2.jpg

Jud 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I too have done a couple classic cars and I have always wanted a FJ40.

My advice to anyone wanting to do something like this is "do it"!! If you need help finding one, post a wanted add. You will get lots of good advice, meet some awesome people, and get some great leads on a project.

Feel free to PM if there is anything I can do to help!!

Matthew
Definitely following this. I bought 78 back in FEB 2018 and have completed a few things, but have made the decision to tear down and go from the frame up.

Definitely following this. I bought 78 back in FEB 2018 and have completed a few things, but have made the decision to tear down and go from the frame up.

JDN,

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to PM me if there is anything I can do to help!!!

MM

I am still thinking about he boxing kit, but I am pretty sure I will do this mod while I have the body off ...

Recommendations for a reputable shop to do frame repair - East Valley?

View attachment 1842407

View attachment 1842408

View attachment 1842409

Curious what’s motivating you to reinforce the frame? Lots of debate around this in the 4x4 community but I can’t imagine it would be necessary on a stock 40?

Welcome neighbor. Let me know if you ever need a hand. If you’re not already familiar cruiser outfitters is a great local source for parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom