1977 FJ40 resto thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have always wanted a 40 since I got my '07 FJc. I have always been a fan of the toyota offroad class vehicles. I will go ahead and say that I do not have the money to dump into it like alot of people have but yet I am a senior in high school. Got the cruiser on September 22. I know a good bit about cars but I am sure I will bug the hell out of yall with questions, I have been reading on here for along time and have learned a ton. So I will go ahead and say sorry for the questions but thanks! haha.

Bare with me, heres my build:

Heres how she looked the day I got it:
1367a6b5.jpg

I am renting a larger garage to work on it just about a 3 min walk from my house, I am using my bay in the garage at my own house to stage parts and work on them.
00b86352.jpg

Heater, speedo, glove box, ash tray, fuel line cover:
4afea7b8.jpg

6cece5e8.jpg

92b311c5.jpg

On the silver pieces I did not go with a flat silver, I may re-do it but I like the 'Hamerite' paint I used.

Started the tear down pretty quick:
2ac7a14d.jpg

986d3e07.jpg

a8923355.jpg

Got the tub off (10/28):
c39178de.jpg

977721e3.jpg

Planning to start sandblasting tomorrow, If I seal the engine and tranny off where none can get in is it ok if I go ahead and blast the frame and axels? I DO NOT plan blasting the engine, just alot of paint stripper and elbow grease.

Last edited:
1977 FJ40 resto

Looks great so far. Painted many of those same parts myself a couple years ago on my 76 FJ40. Keep the pictures coming. :cool:

I ordered new floor pan, quarter panel patches today, getting them put in soon aslong with spot welding holes in the tub.

I have got new hood skirts also.

Just gotta figure out a better sandblasting situation.

Trunkmonkey said:
Planning to start sandblasting tomorrow, If I seal the engine and tranny off where none can get in is it ok if I go ahead and blast the frame and axels? I DO NOT plan blasting the engine, just alot of paint stripper and elbow grease.

Looks good...I would think this would work, but you don't wanna get sand in the engine parts so be careful. Keep up the good work!

Well the blaster i have sucks, what do yall use? any recommendations. This is really holding progress right now.

Trunkmonkey said:
Well the blaster i have sucks, what do yall use? any recommendations. This is really holding progress right now.

Well my experience with blasting is very limited so wouldn't be able to recommend anything. I just remember from the last time I did it that the sand permeated everything :(

I'd like to hear what route you go and how it works for you.

Well I have finished painting most of the frame, still have the under side of it, but I will do that when I take the axels off and leaf packs.

b649fd59.jpg

_DSC0088.jpg

Going to clean up the engine and tranny tomorrow.

How do I get gunk off?
f8ccb5b5.jpg

Helping his 30 year old brother out:
d136d7c5.jpg

tucker74 said:
Degreaser, scraper, brush, rinse ... repeat ;)

Tucker

Sounds about right...I might just add couple that with a pressure washer. :)

I have pressure washed it, after scrubbing it with a degreaser. I have a stiff bristle brush I will hit it with.

Made some progress today, should have the frame and drivetrain done by next week.

31caf75f.jpg

Looking really good...looks like you kicked the grease in the butt!

Ok so I am pretty much done with the frame, engine, axles and everything between. So I went to roll it all out today to wash it and it will not move more then a few inches either way. I am in N and 2h. When I jack the back up the rear wheels spin freely... but when I lower it it all locks up, is this a problem in the T case? 3rd member?

New photos, still not the best... only time I remember to bring over the DSLR its either raining or dark, both right now actually.

_DSC0119.jpg

_DSC0120.jpg

_DSC0122-1.jpg

I got my bolt kit a few days ago so I am swopping them out right now. I am contemplating pulling the T case to properly clean it, because it is still packed with grease and grime. I am still need to pull the steering arms and the hubs to clean them but I will have plenty of time while the body is getting fixed. Also need to buy shackles, pins, and new leaf packs.

I am really trying to find a solid original tub for a decent price, I have two tubs now and either one I pick I will have about 1,500 into it.

Found a 1970 about two hours away. I has a 2f, 4 speed trany and t case out of a FJ55. Also has a crap ton of extra parts. It needs a new upper lip and the rear channel patched (sill is fine).

Heres abunch of pictures that the now PO sent me,
d9c2ff42.jpg

5dd5a753.jpg

9a1842bd.jpg

4c259a34.jpg

aad97454.jpg

Loading it up to take home,
f0629eac.jpg

379875f3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom