1977 FJ40 resto thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sweet...add it to the stash for the build or another build all together?

Im taking the fenders and tub off the 70 then putting them on my 77. Then taking all the old stuff from the 77 and putting that on the 70 as is. I might switch the built 2f into the 70 just to have a running cruiser while I take my time rebuilding the 2f for the 77.

Kind of a weird shuffle but I think it will be cool in the long run with a really nice cruiser and then a trail one.

Trunkmonkey said:
Im taking the fenders and tub off the 70 then putting them on my 77. Then taking all the old stuff from the 77 and putting that on the 70 as is. I might switch the built 2f into the 70 just to have a running cruiser while I take my time rebuilding the 2f for the 77.

Kind of a weird shuffle but I think it will be cool in the long run with a really nice cruiser and then a trail one.

Nice!

Havent updated this in a while. I got a little lax in the project but I am now back on track.

First I washed the months worth of dust off.
40501faa.jpg

Got the new radiator in, aswell as the battery tray.
9d295251.jpg

32f0e6c5.jpg

I cleaned up one of the 6 carburetors I have to choose from, then mounted it to my nicely refreshed intake MF. I also cleaned up and installed the headers I got from when I bought the 70.
449e1ff2.jpg

0ef0472d.jpg

But while I wasnt working on the 40 I was working on this:
1116a7db.jpg

And also 'working' on this:
casting.jpg

But now that I really do not have much on the agenda (besides the weekly fishing trips that we try to do) I will be trying to get the cruiser back on the road with in the next 4 months.

Well today and yesterday I have gotten a ton done. I got the power steering pump bracket mounted. Restored my alternator mount, installed new radiator hoses.New water temp sender and switched shifters then put a new ball on.

Oh and do I have the fuel line ran the correct way? I put it behind the alternator bracket but it is resting between the mount and block. I think the nut that holds it to the pump is loose, because prior to it being lodged between mount and block it moved around alot, does it need to be replaced? I have it tightened but the tube it self moves.
image-591757624.jpg
image-34031236.jpg
image-4117922857.jpg

Very nice

I am also in the middle of a restoration. I saw this pic of your Transf/Tranny. I see you have the same Green connection wire I do. But I don't remember mine being connected. A few months back I asked this same question?

What is it and where does it go? Mine was hanging freely? but yours is connected... any help would be great. Thanks. (NOT the yellow tape, reverse indicator?) Rather the wire on the right in the pic.

Good looking on the restore, keep us posted. Thanks.
a8923355.jpg

Mine is undone now but the plug was in the same grouping as the reverse light, fuel level, then they join into the tail light bundle.

Is it a temp gauge?

Got my glovebox door finished up,
d4964639.jpg

750c5879.jpg

I cant decide on the color, what do yall think?

P/S pump mounted,
2ac17427.jpg

Thats as 'straight up' as I could get the pump with the belt I had, but the only thing holding it in the position is the hinge bolt. Should I get a smaller belt and let the bracket rest against the block?

Is it ok if the belt isnt 100% in line? If not how do I fix it?
375c3d86.jpg

Almost there,
e48a14e7.jpg

The shifter ball was acquired at CCOT.

Got some parts sandblasted and primered,
633941e2.jpg
a080c526.jpg

Started the final touches on my front end, going to pull the axle and rebuild it.
e8a34f67.jpg

Cleaning up tire rods and other steering components,
28939caf.jpg

ee16b924.jpg

Tub is coming along well,
eda27ce9.jpg

Well time to refurbish me a steering wheel and column. I have a few ideas for refinishing the wheels, so hopefully it will turn out nice.

I am going to use the column in the middle and the wheel on the left. Everything else will be for sale when I'm done. How much is one of these wheels worth?
image-3261109145.jpg
image-2068891859.jpg

Got my new calipers in from Summit.
IMG_1356.jpg

Where is the best place for me to get disk rotors? Advanced auto quoted me 35 bucks but there out of stock for good.

Refinished Brake valve and booster.
IMG_1354.jpg

Where can I get the brake pressure 'senders'? or what ever they are called.

First steering wheel clean up.
IMG_1346.jpg

It came out very nice, going to see about filling a few hair line cracks on my next ones.

Ok so quick question, My water pump has the outlet for the oil cooler yet I do not have a oil cooler(or so I think). What should I do with the outlet? Is there somewhere else I should run a hose from the water pump?

Am I even correct by saying that I do not even have a oil cooler? what does it look like and where should it be?

Ran into a few more issues today, When I bought the cruiser it had a weber carb on it. It didnt have a fuel return line on it. I have put a stock carb back on it now, If I remember its a later model (late 70's early 80's). Should I put a fuel return on it? the carb doesn't have a port for it. Or do I have to remove a plug of some sorts?

Also, while I wait for my knuckle kit to get here I am going to redo my rear brakes. I have to brake cylinders but I do not know what side or corner they go to. Is there an easy way to tell? they are both stamped R35. Is that right side or right orientation? I am going to buy the remaining ones soon from napa, should I just play it safe and get all 4?

Thanks guys.

Any body have any clue on the questions above? Well minus the brake cylinders, I am going to put rear disks on.

Cleaning my axle parts up,
f2cd8b36.jpg

Ready to rebuild once my kit gets in,
a6c057f2.jpg

5e389bbc.jpg

Really hoping to have the cruiser on the road some time in may.

I would fix the belt, it will just wear and let you down at the worst possible moment
Like your build

What brand/color paint did you use on the radiator support and tie rod end?

Hey Chandler, this is Matt - been emailing you about your carbs. Progress looks great, kinda makes me jealous ;)

Fuel Line routing - looks correct, mostly. Your fuel line looks kinked/smashed, and isn't bent in 100% the OEM shape. There is supposed to be a little bracket between the thermostate and valve cover to hold the fuel line in place.

Fuel Return line - On mid-'70s carbs there is a fuel return line. But in '79 Toyota went with a fuel pump that had an internal bypass, so the '79-ish carb you have mounted on your intake manifold doesn't have a fuel return. I think you may be able to fit your carb with one if you want (it can help with vapor lock), look at one of your other carbs and you'll see the banjo fitting to the left of the fuel inlet.

Brake pressure switches - why do you need new ones? Do yours not work? They will be closed under no pressure and open under pressure.

green wire on transmission - I think that's your high speed sensor - has to do with emissions controls.

pump angle and belt alignment - I have the same mount/pump configuration as you, I think your pump angle looks fine, it won't hurt anything to be cockeyed a little like that. You should try to get that belt to align a little better - your mount should have slots so you can adjust it forward and back. If your pulleys aren't "in-plane" then you might just have to live with it. They do look a little out of plane.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom