1977 BJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting a thread for my 'new to me' BJ40. It is originally from Costa Rica. It ran pretty good when I bought it and then promptly stopped (actually didn't run when we picked it up but I thought the battery was just dead from the cold). Anyway, a buddy and me have started the process of getting it running. It's been an up hill battle so far, but hoping that this thread will help us out!

There are no VIN plates on the vehicle, but we do have the following info:
Frame no: BJ40-006681
Engine serial no: 0119388
Engine cast no: 11411-56010
Hard top
Double swing out doors
And that's about all I know!

The first thing we did was remove the out of place Toyota emblem on the front. 😆

8DC2ECAF-DFDC-47CF-BA4D-7456DA5D0436.jpeg

95C7BD64-EEAF-4CC2-A186-F6C9D3539FFF.jpeg

First problem we've run in to is the starter is bad. Took it in to a local guy that works on starters and he said "I've been doing this for 30 years and never seen anything like that." 🤦‍♂️

This was after we ordered an identical looking starter from the local auto parts place. It came in and was about 1/4 the size of the actual starter. Waiting to hear from the starter guy on Monday about whether or not he can help (didn't snap a pic before I dropped it off). If anyone has a lead on. BJ40 starter, drop me a line.

So next was the water pump. It sounded bad from the beginning and water was leaking out. I finally found one of those from www.FJParts.com (Water Pump, 74-79 BJ40 43 B Diesel, AISIN). It is ordered and hopefully will be here this coming week and will work! Oh, we broke the head of a bolt off while removing the water pump. 🤦‍♂️

Took the radiator off and found a chipped fan. 🤦‍♂️ Any leads on a new one of those (that isn't $114 - from FJ parts - let me know). I'm tempted to get some bond and repair it myself...

Next is the knuckle rebuild. Ordered a kit that will be here next will that should help the oil leaking.

I'm the meantime, we're searching for a way to get the lug nut locks off. We should be able to get the one pictured on the left off fairly easily I think. The outside part of the one on the right spins and will be more of a challenge. 🤦‍♂️ I guess you need two lug nut locks on each tire in Costa Rica!

My face hurts from all of the facepalming.

1093D371-6D21-4033-8C6E-62EE1A4EA90D.jpeg

0E98A5EA-60E8-4FC4-B800-459E0B8AF004.jpeg

F985AFE8-EB14-4DE2-9A91-A52FC9ECEB5D.jpeg

6B7F2E92-8323-4612-B64F-D7E436CBB2F8.jpeg

Whoa partner! Nice rig but slow down a bit on the parts purchases and look around a bit on MUD. 1st thing is to get the Factory Service Manual which can be download on MUD I'm sure. Then, parts, even for non-US trucks are available from known sources here on MUD. These vendors will also be a wealth of knowledge on what is supposed to be on the truck and what will work. Kudo's for ditching the Yoda emblem on the front. The bezel needs contrasting paint and in my humble opinion, the roof needs original white. I look forward to seeing you get it running and fixed to your liking.

Thanks @Dunbar! I've definitely been spending some serious time on MUD...my phone battery this week shows.

I haven't ordered toooo much yet, but I do have lots of items saved in my cart across a few sites. 😁
It has been tough to sift through and find parts here on MUD. Is there a certain thread or category I could look in? I'm also not sure which parts are interchangeable between the FJ and BJ and which are not...

Definitely agree about the bezel and roof color!

Timing cover removed. The inside looked pretty good! Searching for a replacement gasket (or making one from gasket paper). Ordered a new timing cover seal from Cruiser Outfitters. Seemed to be leaking from the seal.

Rented a harmonic balancer puller from Advance Auto, but it wasn’t big enough. Purchased a 7” gear puller and it did the trick. Getting a few new hoses and we’re ready to put some things back together.

Still searching for the correct starter. Ordered one from CruiserParts.net that I was told would fit and I just needed to swap the nose cones. But the two starters look totally different so I’m not optimistic it’s going to work out. Have located a couple in Australia that might do the trick, but want to make sure it’s right before I get it shipped all the way here.

C9510E0F-CC85-4D99-8988-C7516FA0CC50.jpeg

04BD194F-C76D-44B6-B511-B71EEACDC3AA.jpeg

E14F2F63-BD27-4C4A-A2EF-2A4DA285F47C.jpeg

A10BE78D-B863-4FA7-90F6-FE5DCB692D6B.jpeg

For the lugs nuts just find a socket that fits super tight or almost doesnt then hammer it on then back them off with impact. Locking lugs are a joke they just slow a theif down a few mins haha.

Lost of stuff can be picked up from vendors here and classified ads.

Real question from me is how does the body look under all that new red paint? Take a magnet to it.

Congrats on removing the balancer. I must say you should never use a jaw type puller like in your pic, that clamps around the outer portion of the balancer to remove it. The balancer is made up with 3 parts. There's the outer steel ring, rubber and an inner hub. The balancer reduces internal shock loads from the rotational forces that happen in the engine. The rubber and outer ring absorb these forces. Your lucky you didn't pull the outer ring off the inner hub. A harmonic bal. Puller would bolt to the 2 threaded holes in the inner hub, and pull from that point. If the outer ring has moved at all from you removal process, it is probably compromised.

Timing cover, new water pump, rad, and everything else is back on.

Finally found a gear reduction starter from an early ‘80s Cruiser that has me up and running.

Snagged the starter on eBay (though @crawlin cruiser had several he could have hooked me up with). I had to swap the 11 tooth gear for a 9 tooth gear (instructions were in my shop manual that I’ll try and post a picture of later for any future need).

We did notice a small leak at the top of the timing cover. 🤦‍♂️ Will probably just keep an eye on it and wait until we fix the next thing that we need to fix before we rip everything back out.

Now, does anyone need a boat anchor? I have a great one in the original non-gear reduction starter! 😆

Whoa partner! Nice rig but slow down a bit on the parts purchases and look around a bit on MUD. 1st thing is to get the Factory Service Manual which can be download on MUD I'm sure. Then, parts, even for non-US trucks are available from known sources here on MUD.

Indeed. Slow down on random vendors providing parts. Some of this can just be had at your local Toyota dealership also. They certainly have the water pump. I'd bet a starter could have been had from them also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom