1975 FJ40 Running Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What price range if you don’t mind me asking? Under 12k, everything will be rusty, I think some rust in the rear quarters is ok if you are willing to spend money on body work and stuff. Land cruisers rust. It’s what they do.

Any frame rust at all, walk away

Make sure the doors close and body panels line up. If they don’t, it could because of a collision, or parts of it have rusted so far that the body panels aren’t straight anymore
I ended up paying $12K, and now that I have it...wish I had offered $10K instead. That said I love it!

I am here in Grand Junction as well. Look forward to seeing your cruiser on the road. One more to look at last minute...

Definitely. Short runs around Downtown for now while I get a few things figured out. I need to go through the cooling system, flush and replace hoses and thermostat housing gasket for sure.....she's leaking. Hope to see you around.

Going to add a few pictures taken Sunday while starting to clean it out. Rear was full of junk, some carpet, the second half of a jump seat and more rust than I initially noticed. Rubber mat (original?) didn't do me any favors, and surely trapped moisture for 48 years. Looks like some is just surface rust. I'll also add pictures of some pretty hilarious fixes/improvements I found too. This thing has personality plus.
BedRUgLeftRust.jpg
HalfJumpandmoreRUST.jpg

Last edited:
They are certain this is original. In their defense....it has been in the same family since around 1980, and used Spring-Fall at the family vacation home in Crested Butte where it lived. Even if the mileage is correct....it's like dog miles. They definitely used it as it should be!
TheySayitisOG.jpg

Thanks for the interior pics bro - you've got the original front floor mat - yay!

Wow, someone destroyed that jump seat bottom cushion rail. Still have the bottom?

The Becks beercap is plugging the hose connection to the smog pump. Looks like you still have some of the smog equipment.

Looks like it's leaking from the thermostat housing.

Oh, Baby, this is gonna be fun :popcorn:

Thanks for the interior pics bro - you've got the original front floor mat - yay!

Wow, someone destroyed that jump seat bottom cushion rail. Still have the bottom?

The Becks beercap is plugging the hose connection to the smog pump. Looks like you still have some of the smog equipment.

Looks like it's leaking from the thermostat housing.

Oh, Baby, this is gonna be fun :popcorn:
Hah, yes it was really hard to get interior photos earlier. So. Much. Stuff!

Yes, the bottom half of the jump seat is safely stored in the garage. The tubing/frame is shot but cushion is good. Haven't taken a hard look at it, but imagine I could make a good seat with a different lower frame only.

It does have some smog equipment in place, but don't know much about it. Thanks for solving that mystery!

Definitely leaking from the thermostat housing. All hoses look sketchy, so figure I will just replace all, and change out fluid (has incorrect green not Toyota red...dang it). Thermostat gasket and maybe thermostat looks pretty straight forward. I hope.

It runs and stops....so already fun!

I ended up paying $12K, and now that I have it...wish I had offered $10K instead. That said I love it!

When you get the 40 done to your liking, a couple of grand will be like a rounding error. :)

Looks like a fun truck with some original niceties like the floor mat.

The air rail that is capped off can be removed and holes plugged for a cleaner look.
More info here:
2F Air Rail Plugs - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2f-air-rail-plugs.1101890/

Some new shiny factory green wire connecters on the firewall, interesting.
Fel-Pro 3060 is a cut your own gasket sheet set that most local parts stores carry to replace that thermo gasket.
For those impatient 40 owners.

@stclair, I did my undergraduate work in Gunnison. Enjoying the KBUT stickers, and had a laugh when you said you only made it from CB to GUC before the decision was made to trailer it the rest of the way home. Good luck with the 40, I’ll be following along.

Probably don’t need to tell you this @stclair but a visit to Enstrom is called for. Toffee, near perfection 😂.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom