1973 Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ground Up said:
I had a box of hardware, the brake lines, a bunch of brackets and the brake booster replated. It was cool that I found a guy fairly close that does the yellow zinc, I was worried about losing parts. The guy had a hard time with the brake lines and replated them three times to get them right.

Did he replate them by choice or did you "make" him replate them 'cause you're such and anal bastard?

Nice!

I am also in Boise...

I took a completely different rout on my 73 40 & therefore still have a bunch of parts... Let me know if you need anything.

Have you thought about painting the shocks to mimic the originals? I know you have the OME and the axle changes but those sort of dissappear into tha canvas of the work. The shocks kinda jump out as does the battery.

Owyhee Jackass said:
Did he replate them by choice or did you "make" him replate them 'cause you're such and anal bastard?

He replated them pretty much by choice. He was great to work with. He even delivered them on a trip through town (he's across the state).

cruiserdan)"Have you thought about painting the shocks to mimic the originals? I know you have the OME and the axle changes but those sort of dissappear into tha canvas of the work. The shocks kinda jump out as does the battery." [/QUOTE said:
It is funny you ask. I was eyeing the shocks yesterday and thinking the same They do need to be painted out. I have also thought of the battery component. I should just put a stock battery in as I don't know if I will have the cahonas(sp?) to take it off road :).

Had a thought, what are you going to do for "OEM" floormats? I understand they are discontinued...

Cheers!

Tools R Us said:
That thing is a work of ART! :bounce: :cheers:

I agree, I love old cars, wish I had the time and the resources to do something like that. :frown:

That is awesome. :beer:

Truely outstanding work....quick question.....were you able to find and did you purchase the rubber gasket that goes around the fresh air intake door in the cowling ? My orig is shot and the one I have pulled off a bone yard is aging not so gracefully anymore. Again, really nice work on the resto :beer:

Sweet

Luckeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JRFJ4- said:
Luckeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luck? Looks like hard work and dedication to me! That's incredible, I just stripped the interior of mine of paint and bedliner and herculined it and it took me forever, I can't imagine the amount of time spent restoring yours. Have you kept track of the hours?

Looked at the pics again and am STILL in awe. The thing is crazy clean. Amazing job.

The peanut gallery needs to understand something here that I think has not been addressed.

things like the air injection moulded hoses, the air pump, and the pads on the dash board have been discontinued for YEARS. THIS IS NO SMALL FEAT AND VIEWERS NEED TO UNDERSTAND THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THIS ACHIEVEMENT.

Off soapbox........D-

The shocks could be powdercoated without damage and it would probably resist chipping better than paint unless you have facility for baking paint on.......................but, oh, what am I thinking?? There's not much danger of chipping the paint on a truck that should never be on a road!

Have you documented that there was no rubber pad on the accelerator pedal? That's one that has bugged me and I haven't found out either way. There's a lot of them for sale everywhere. And the color of the rear seat frame and back? Is that a gray color? I haven't seen any that weren't black except maybe in an obscure foriegn advertisement until the later '79 + models.

Beautiful work! We aren't given enough time in life to do many restorations - maybe only enough to do one the right way, and you haven't wasted your time. Really, think about putting it in a museum so it'll outlive you.

Take up machinin and fine woodworking now. It'll serve you well when you're building the fine old ship model that few old men have the skill, patience, or time to complete. You shown that you've got the patience already.

BTW, the biggest difference in an OEM pintlehook is the presence of a zerk fitting. :)

Last edited:
honk said:
The shocks could be powdercoated without damage and it would probably resist chipping better than paint unless you have facility for baking paint on.......................but, oh, what am I thinking?? There's not much danger of chipping the paint on a truck that should never be on a road!

Have you documented that there was no rubber pad on the accelerator pedal? That's one that has bugged me and I haven't found out either way. There's a lot of them for sale everywhere. And the color of the rear seat frame and back? Is that a gray color? I haven't seen any that weren't black except maybe in an obscure foriegn advertisement until the later '79 + models.

Beautiful work! We aren't given enough time in life to do many restorations - maybe only enough to do one the right way, and you haven't wasted your time. Really, think about putting it in a museum so it'll outlive you.

Take up machinin and fine woodworking now. It'll serve you well when you're building the fine old ship model that few old men have the skill, patience, or time to complete. You shown that you've got the patience already.

BTW, the biggest difference in an OEM pintlehook is the presence of a zerk fitting. :)

Thanks!

Below are a couple of pics from the 2/73 dealer brochure. The seats were a match to the silver color on the front and rear bumpers(ettes). You can see in the one pic the corner of the seat where it is exposed by the wrap in the fabric.

The accelerator pedal is bare in the last pic (from 2/73 brochure). I have the brochures from 1972, 2/73 and 3/73 and one from 9/73. The accelerator pedal shows bare in 1972 also. The 1974 brochure does not show any pics of the pedal area.

I have learned a incredible amount of patience during this project, from waiting to find obsolete parts to making sure every item was done precisley or redone until it was.

Thanks for the pintle pic. Interesting how close the one I have looks to that.

Last edited:
Hossdog said:
Looks unbelievable!!! Amazing job. I think I found something wrong.....I cant see any spacers behind the bezel and youd hate to scratch such a masterpiece!! Is it just me?? Or are they there?? Again, that is an amazing job!!!

It does have the (4) rubber spacers. I left about a 1/8" gap after tightening them down. Never could find any info on how far to run them down.

Thanks, for the compliments.

1Fine40 said:
Showed these pictures to the wife......she wanted to know if Toyota had begun selling them again!! That is one of the finest ground ups I've ever seen. Congrats. May it only be driven to church by your momma!!

Cheers!

Man I about fell of the chair laughing.

By the way I think keeping my "momma" from driving would be the safest bet.

1Fine40 said:
Had a thought, what are you going to do for "OEM" floormats? I understand they are discontinued...

Cheers!

I have not found a set of matts for the '73 3-speed. It looks like in '72 they had different matts. It's one of those little items I am keeping my eyes open for. It's pretty nuts that I was able to find a set of OEM matts for the '67 FJ45 LV before the 40 series. (the LV ones are really only for patterning a new set from)

toddslater said:
Truely outstanding work....quick question.....were you able to find and did you purchase the rubber gasket that goes around the fresh air intake door in the cowling ? My orig is shot and the one I have pulled off a bone yard is aging not so gracefully anymore. Again, really nice work on the resto :beer:

I had gotten the gasket from SOR a couple of years ago. I think they still have them as I was going to get one for the 45 wagon.

Thanks for the compliments and the pics you sent "way back when" of the carb linkage on your truck.

Dianna said:
Luck? Looks like hard work and dedication to me! That's incredible, I just stripped the interior of mine of paint and bedliner and herculined it and it took me forever, I can't imagine the amount of time spent restoring yours. Have you kept track of the hours?

I did not keep track of my time. Sometimes I wish I did. I do know that I have spent countless hours just on research. I was going to count all of the reciepts and figure my drive time just for laughs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom