1970 stuck in low range (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I’m new to owning my 1970 fj40, it runs and drives fine but it’s stuck in low. I’ve disengaged the hubs, reversed for 20’ and it’ll stay in low. I’ll engage the hubs and it’s in 4 low....is there something I’m doing wrong? It sat for 5-6 years before I got it running again

The lever under the dash to right of steering wheel needs to be pushed forward for high range. If you do this and it is still in low you will need to disengage it at the transfer case. You may already know this but the hubs have nothing to do with high or low range.

Sometimes they get "stuck" in low, put it in reverse and drop the clutch while trying to pull it out of low.

Pop the clutch…and pop it good.

1) put it in 1st, pop the clutch while trying to put it in 2 hi
2) then do the same thing in reverse
3) then again in 1st

Almost a guaranteed solution.

Does the shifter move? Did you check your linkage is the linkage binding or coming apart? The linkage can get sloppy and make shifting problematic.
Shifter freely moves, up towards the dash is low range...if I push it towards the firewall it’ll move freely but goes into neutral

Does the shifter move? Did you check your linkage is the linkage binding or coming apart? The linkage can get sloppy and make shifting problematic.
Is the linkage the cables that attach to the back of the tc where it looks like an external balancer is and then the drive shaft?

Ok, thanks....I’m being lazy and trying not to remove the skid plate! I’ll get that off and have the kid push/pull the lever
The linkage will be on the top of the t case, on the passenger side.

The linkage will connect to a lever on top of the transfer case. You should be able to move it by hand.

I watched the linkage move back and forth and spin the shaft coming out of the tc....nothing but low range and neutral, even when it should be in high range.

When driving down the road I can push the lever into neutral (and high range) and it’s 100% neutral but while rolling down the road in gear it’ll grind if I try to pull the lever back into low....I had to completely stop and then pull it back into low. Once parked I had to push the clutch in to shift between low-neutral-high.

I’m guessing it’s time for a rebuild..???...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom