1970 - 4O series Front Disc Brake Upgrade kit recommendations needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan to do a front disk brake kit on my 1970 FJ40. I saw the kit at JT outfitters. Has anyone used that kit? Is there a better setup or less expensive option? Has anyone done the whole 4 wheel option? is it worth the extra money to convert all 4?

Thanks for any direction you can give a newbie.

If you go the aftermarket route, I have a JTO kit I plan on selling. It was installed and fluid filled but never bled. I have the front brackets, rotors, calipers as well as rear brackets and rotors that have never been installed.

The fronts were on my 1970 when I bought it but I changed over to Toyota parts.

I plan to do a front disk brake kit on my 1970 FJ40. I saw the kit at JT outfitters. Has anyone used that kit? Is there a better setup or less expensive option? Has anyone done the whole 4 wheel option? is it worth the extra money to convert all 4?

Thanks for any direction you can give a newbie.
Yeah, that's what I'm running currently.
The back ones are easy, but you do have to pull the axel.
The front was really tight.
It all works good, and no issues. There was not a lot of instructions, and it was hard trying to find the orientation of the back bracket for the caliper.

what month 1970?
early 1970 still had single circuit brakes
does yours have a booster?

IMHO use either a mini truck parts, 60 series parts or later 76+ 40/55 series parts
mostly for the reliability and you know what parts you will need in the future. 8 years down the road you need a caliper or replacement shoes, it is Toyota, most any auto part store can get the correct stuff, or from Toyota.
using a "kit" from an aftermarket seller now, what about replacing stuff in the future?

what month 1970?

IMHO use either a mini truck parts, 60 series parts or later 76+ 40/55 series parts
mostly for the reliability and you know what parts you will need in the future. 8 years down the road you need a caliper or replacement shoes, it is Toyota, most any auto part store can get the correct stuff, or from Toyota.
using a "kit" from an aftermarket seller now, what about replacing stuff in the future?
X1000

I get tired of saying it.

Is there an all Toyota solution for a rear disc brake conversion for our 1970? I'm familiar with the kits utilizing Monte Carlo calipers.

Is there an all Toyota solution for a rear disc brake conversion for our 1970? I'm familiar with the kits utilizing Monte Carlo calipers.
I’ve seen it done, but I’m not aware of anywhere it can be ordered.

I’d get brackets from @Poser and use GM mini callipers. Dead simple and reliable without any sketchy brackets.

what size tires are you planning on running and what engine. if it’s stock or mild 350 and 33 inch or smaller honestly a good disc upgrade on the front axles and well adjusted properly working drums on the back actually work quite well and it’ll save you a lot of headache trying to retrofit discs on the back for marginally better braking i’d argue. kind of depends what you’re trying to stop though

what size tires are you planning on running and what engine. if it’s stock or mild 350 and 33 inch or smaller honestly a good disc upgrade on the front axles and well adjusted properly working drums on the back actually work quite well and it’ll save you a lot of headache trying to retrofit discs on the back for marginally better braking i’d argue. kind of depends what you’re trying to stop though
This is kinda what I was thinking, but not sure. It's and old SBC 350 with 33s. Just going to do very light trail trail stuff and some street driving. Not a ton of annual mileage. Nothing too aggressive. I never get too close to anyone when driving it, I just want to be able to stop fairly quick in that rare occasion when someone comes out in front of me. Understanding of course that it's not a brand new rig with abs. That said, looking for the best kit that's somewhat reasonably priced.

id just suggest get some mini truck or 60 series knuckles and brake master and don’t look back. it’ll be cheaper and better than any aftermarket stuff. just need to research what you need (loads of information on mud) and source it then clean it up.

ill be doing this on my 72 with my left over stuff from my 77!

Welcome to Mud. As you know by now, this question is one of the most common questions newbies post.
Here is the least read, most informative place to begin:

Brakes are a life saving safety system. I would never put my life, or my family's life in the hands of an aftermarket braking system that is specifically called out for Off Road Use Only (read their instructions). ESPECIALLY when there is an easy OEM swap with later model parts. It's not as convenient as placing a internet order, but what price do you put on critical safety equipment?

Rant off... Some guys run the front kits and like them. They are not for me.

Welcome to Mud. As you know by now, this question is one of the most common questions newbies post.
Here is the least read, most informative place to begin:

Brakes are a life saving safety system. I would never put my life, or my family's life in the hands of an aftermarket braking system that is specifically called out for Off Road Use Only (read their instructions). ESPECIALLY when there is an easy OEM swap with later model parts. It's not as convenient as placing a internet order, but what price do you put on critical safety equipment?

Rant off... Some guys run the front kits and like them. They are not for me.
I saw the FAQ section, thanks. Not sure how often that is updated, looked like kinda old info. I was looking for the latest info and I know that new content is always good for forum sites search rankings. Thanks for the rant on brakes. I do appreciate the push toward later toyota solutions. I'll look into what's available. I agree, easy is always best until it's time that you have to stop fast, then you wish you'd gone with the right stuff.

Although I’ve only seen one post regarding the JT brackets breaking, one time is too many. I believe in overkill, and especially for safety items, one time is way too many.

I figured out a front disc conversion in ‘94 on my own using stock 40 components. It’s not hard, and unlike for me, there’s a ton of information explaining how to do it.

Although I’ve only seen one post regarding the JT brackets breaking, one time is too many. I believe in overkill, and especially for safety items, one time is way too many.

I figured out a front disc conversion in ‘94 on my own using stock 40 components. It’s not hard, and unlike for me, there’s a ton of information explaining how to do it.
Thanks for the input. I agree, tons of info, so much that some of it conflicts. I had not heard of their brackets breaking, so thanks for that little gem. If you have any links to point me to that lines up with your solution, I'd appreciate if you have the time to post them.

what month 1970?

Great point! It's a Dec 1970 build. I know there is a split in 70 but not sure what the differences are.

I saw the FAQ section, thanks. Not sure how often that is updated, looked like kinda old info.
POSER here keeps this info top notch. Been done hundreds of times by members here using this TIMELESS info.
These methods take some time and thought, ... we did our 1972 using Mini Truck front axle parts with Four Runner calipers and rotors. Flawless!

My 1975 came with a kit installed by the P.O. that has worked well for my 40K miles in 10 years of ownership. (Original front axle parts, I believe.) Don't know how hard it will be to find parts when the time comes, but they are Wilwood (sp?) and quality stuff.

Thanks for the input. I agree, tons of info, so much that some of it conflicts. I had not heard of their brackets breaking, so thanks for that little gem. If you have any links to point me to that lines up with your solution, I'd appreciate if you have the time to post them.
I bought a newer 40 axle that had disc brakes. Swapped the knuckles, inner axles, and everything attached onto my original centre housing. I quickly discovered a brake proportioning valve is needed in the rear circuit to prevent them from locking up.

Hurdles I avoided… the 76ish fine spline birfields fit inside my ‘74 housing without modifications. Newer birfields are a bit larger/stronger and will require minor grinding on the housing to get them in. Newer arms use different TREs and either need bushings to make your TREs work or new TREs to work with them.

First set of pads ($20) lasted 95k miles and 20 years.

Post a wanted ad like you did for the ps box.

Someone probably has what you need.

Great point! It's a Dec 1970 build. I know there is a split in 70 but not sure what the differences are.

how about a pic under the hood?
if you are unsure, a pic says alot.
if this is a single circuit system, adding discs is much more involved. you need to split the system into front and rear circuits.
if you want boosted brakes it again adds to the procedure as there is a firewall rib in the way.

look at your brake master cylinder, is there 1 resevoir or 2?

if it is a single circuit system, it should be upgraded to atleast a dual circuit system. even dual circuit drum brakes work well, they just need adjustment occasionally.
with a single circuit system, if there is a leak anywhere and you lose all the brake fluid, you will have zero brakes. with a dual circuit system if front or rear leaks, you just lose that circuit, you still have the other to stop the rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom