1970 - 4O series Front Disc Brake Upgrade kit recommendations needed

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
for 10 years, I ran a Man-a-Fre disk conversion in the front and rear on my '72 - best brakes I ever had on the 40 - Man-a-Fre was bought by BTB; not sure what they are selling these days

by now, I am running a rear 60 axle and front fine spline outers, with 60 backing plates, and Tundra calipers - dual diaphragm booster from City Racer and 40 master cylinder (residual valve removed from the front circuit)

after some other brake configurations in-between that were satisfactory but not great - pending some more driving experience on asphalt, this latest set-up appears to approach the brake force of the aftermarket conversions

I recently did one on my '73 before selling it. I used 60 series knuckles, axles/birfs, and calipers. I got the knuckles and hubs in the classifieds section here on Mud, then Cruiser outfitters for the rebuild kits, and Marlin for their axle seals. If I had to do it again, I would find a complete mini-truck or 60 series axle and start there.

Engineer8000

CAPE FEAR ELECTRONICS
Supporting Vendor
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
When looking for toyota front disk brake parts, the 79 and older style rotors are more expensive and difficult to find. The later style rotors I think can be made to work on the 79 and older axles but it take some extra work. There are threads about that on here.

I have a late year 70 fj40 with the dual circuit MC. I ran drums for years. Tried the JT kit on the front, MEH..... FWIW I currently have 4 wheel disc on the OEM MC , never been messed with, works well with GM 3/4 ton calipers up front and the metric(monte carlo) gm ones out back.

Honest opinion, if you are mechanically inclined then the drums should be fine if adjusted correctly and functioning properly. I would offer that a proper drum set up has plenty of stop in it but if you feel the need for better/faster more positive brake feel then I would say get all toyota outer stuff, knuckles and all and swap, that can be pricey tho but you get a better birf, better steering stud size and a few other minor improvements. The JT, TSM, BTB whatever kit you find leaves you with small birf's, small steering studs and you may have a brake line size difference as well. And even tho I had the dual MC my 70 fj40 had 6 spline birf's which don't play with the disc stuff, another reason to get all toyota outers from a mini or 60.

'bout ready to finally start wrenching and brakes are an early item on my 4/76. I currently have almost no stopping power, at all. I think I'll just fix/adjust everything back to factory and go from there.

OGBeno

Arakawa-san
GOLD Star
If you want all new OEM parts, you can go with early 1990’s 70 series parts. All of it is still available from Toyota. But the price point is generally not acceptable by most LC owners.

Doing one now. So good to just plug and play everything.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
If you want all new OEM parts, you can go with early 1990’s 70 series parts. All of it is still available from Toyota. But the price point is generally not acceptable by most LC owners.

Doing one now. So good to just plug and play everything.
This is in reference to adding rear discs and keeping it all Toyota, or just an option for all new front disc conversion parts onto a factory 40 housing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom