Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

McGeorge Toyota is sending me a Jen-you-wine 1969 Toyota gas cap sometime next week. Love it when a plan comes together.
That was the first thing I did when I got my 40.

What. The. Heck.
FEC1D882-D580-4988-B118-DF662F8903E7.jpeg
1B7CD152-A878-46BD-ADB4-D427D1545606.jpeg

The more I dig into the 40, the more I realize what a deal I got.

I was able to get out today for a little bit; unloaded all the goodies from the back and do a very rough clean.

Driver Side.jpg

I took a centerpunch to this panel and only found small rust spots in the corners. Same thing on the other side.

Pax side rust spots.jpg

Most of what looks like body flaking is umpteen gazillion layers of paint. BTW, I was wrong; she wasn't originally white. I'm seeing original glossy red coming through all over the tub.

The sill, as advertised, is gone, but it doesn't extend to anywhere else in the tub, or on the frame.

Sill rust.jpg

Tub.jpg

For those keeping track, those fenders are painted dark green. Just because there weren't enough FJ40 colors incorporated in this rig.

The big missing piece I've located today is the outside and inside rear window handles. I've located the outside handle easily, and I have most of the connective parts, but I think I'm short a piece or two in between.

Here's what I have:

rear hatch latch 2.jpg
Rear hatch latch.jpg

I've found the outside latch, PN 69211-90300 from Toyota.

Understand I need a gasket, but don't know the part number, and also an inside latch, also don't know the part number.

Something tells me there is another part or two, specifically the spring(s) that cause the latch to return, as well as something called a "Stay handle" and the assorted nuts and bolts that hold it all together.

Seems to me the easy button would be to find an assembled one to buy.

You know, I guess I could just reprioritize the top for a later project. The cruiser would drive just fine without a top this summer, and I can just focus on getting it running.

But still need to keep on the parts acquisition; especially the hard to find parts.
Exact same thought process I had for mine. Get her running down the road and see what shakes out. All the while keeping eyes peeled for parts you “need”

You know, I guess I could just reprioritize the top for a later project. The cruiser would drive just fine without a top this summer, and I can just focus on getting it running.

But still need to keep on the parts acquisition; especially the hard to find parts.
I`ve been using that thought process for 30+ years now. Just keep it running and fill in the missing parts as I go 😂🤣. Great strategy.

Finally got around to working on the stuck engine. It's obvious from the plugs that the open intake valve on #4, which is most exposed to the elements is the big issue.

spark plugs.jpg

#1 is at the bottom and #6 is at the top in this pic.

Also have some fairly serious rust issues toward the rear of the valve train.

valve train.jpg

I've worked on 2Fs and 1FZ engines, so I wasn't prepared for the fight the valve cover put up. The seals around the studs are tight and #1 and #2 sacrificed themselves out of pig-headedness.

What’s that white stuff on the ground? 😝

Fun times, finding and figuring out what you have and don’t have. That’s the journey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom