1968 FJ55 Local East Coast Swine Transfer (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No lift or lift choices...here's some thoughts.

I had 2 of these piggies. Only owned the back one for a little while.

Front 1 Alcan 4" lift 35x12.50, back one Man-A-Fre 4" safari Kit 33x12.50
110-1064_IMG.jpg

Since I'm getting older, I don't remember distinctly, but I do recall they both rode a little rough, with the exception of a load of 300ish pounds in the rear of the front Pig with Alcans rode MUCH better. It also flexxed much better.

110-1062_IMG.jpg

I wheeled the crap out of that front FJ55 with a 2F, 4spd, 4.10's and ARB lockers front and rear. It went more places than I wanted to go without major damage....minus that last trip out... :frown: In the mountain passes of colorado I for sure wanted more gearing and power/low range but I still did everything. You already have power steering, I needed it badly for wheeling, but it worked without.

Personally I'd go an OME lift, decent shocks, 255/85r16 Yokohama's and a rear locker and go everywhere. If you have a built ready to get 4spd/tcase setup, slap that in and call it good.

Spend the rest of your money on Bacon Scented Air Fresheners...mmm pig!
Amazon product ASIN B01BMYJCKG

Are we all on the same page that the final drive for both 3 & 4 speed is 1:1?

Yes, same final ratio. The 3 speed, like an SM420 or SM465 with no granny gear, makes your engine and driving style cater to a much wider RPM range as you have to lug it lower at the engagement and wind it out higher before up shifting.
Having an underdrive gear helps to offset the shortcomings of a 3 spd, mostly in the dirt. Unfortunately, Toyota’s drivetrain engineers must have been staunch supporters of “momentum wheeling”.

Just got back from the Interrior shop to have them order the proper materials for the seats.
They ALWAYS have some neat rigs in there .....

Georg @ Valley Hybrids, Cruiser Brothers & Long Range America

6FCEE009-9F1F-4066-AC22-DC5D402050B2.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom