1968 FJ55 Local East Coast Swine Transfer (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

navydivedoc

SILVER Star
Threads
UPDATE: Rather than nuke this thread with all of its goodness, I'm going to continue on with the new Pig.
1968, titled as a 1969. After giving up the fevered swine dreams discussed here with Chuck the blue Pig, I lucked into one just 4 miles away from me. Solid, mostly original, Texas truck but brought to MA and then NH. New Pig Chatter begins on page 10.

i-BVfTDBf-L.jpg

I've wanted a Pig for a while. I blame @wngrog and his parts-o-pig/ Warthog thread for getting it started. Finalized by touring this sub-forum and you fine gentlemen. Since I live on the east coast, there are essentially none out here. I troll the ads on Mud, on the Facebook Land Cruiser pages, etc. Mainly, I watch the deals go down on the west coast and wish I could grab one of them. But, how the hell can I buy a pig sight unseen from the east coast? Crazy, yes?

A month or so ago, I found what looked like a decent Pig in California. Orange, V8 conversion, listed as a 5 speed. Rust didn't look too bad. I posted this in the classifieds, wishing I could go sweep it up but figuring someone could go get it. I think it was the next day, @Pigeaten posted his new addition to his Pen, Ornch.

I was happy to see it go to a good home, and once again disappointed that it wasn't mine.

A few weeks go by, and another Pig pops up.

In California again, of course. Knowing @Pigeaten was at least somewhere nearby, and was generally up for a Pig rescue roadtrip, I shot him a quick message to see if he was up for a roadtrip to have a look at this beast for me. A big ask, but I was starting to suffer from swine fever. I didn't need cowbell, I needed steel pig goodness. As an aside, in my message, I asked if he might be willing to sell the 1970 FJ55 he'd picked up in Oregon from @Guster. I'd followed that deal as well, sorry I missed it.

As luck would have it, Ornch made @Pigeaten's sty overfilled. He felt sorry for the easterner living in rust land, and thankful for pointing out the post selling Ornch. The blue pig was mine!

@Guster found this Pig via craigslist in Oregon. Dragged this home
Pig%20original%20state-L.jpg

And proceeded to do a ton of work. Build thread here
Eventually this went up for sale Pig sale thread
This was picked up by @Pigeaten via, I believe, a 13 hour road trip. Brought back to its new home in California. Got some hubcaps and a mirror, and a little love. From there, is the purpose of this build thread.

With all that as intro, this is my new Pig.

IMG_2337-XL.jpg

IMG_2336-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Some excellent Patina.
IMG_2325-XL.jpg

IMG_2326-XL.jpg

A roofrack straight out of a country squire wagon.
Refreshed 2F, new clutch, rebuilt transfer case. Power steering conversion. 3 on the tree remains.
IMG_2331-XL.jpg

Brakes rebuilt. Recored radiator. @65swb45 rebuilt carb.

Wait, I’m lost. Is this one yours?
Yes, maybe too much backstory. After missing out on many a west-coast pig, @Pigeaten took pity and sold me this fine blue specimen.
IMG_2336-XL.jpg

Not pristine by any means, but could be much worse. I'm going to give it the @wngrog patina buffing treatment and see where I can get it.
IMG_2314-XL.jpg

IMG_2311-XL.jpg

IMG_2315-XL.jpg

IMG_2324-XL.jpg

Rust? Oh yes, it's a Pig after all. @Guster did a great job of uncovering the cancer that's there. Roof is good, floors are where the issues lie. I'm about to be neighbors with @bobm. He's already promised me he has most of what I need to get this back on the road. Plan is for a driver quality fix, no restoration here.

I need to decide between a set of Bob's rockers or just do the 2x4 steel rocker/slider modification. Front body mounts, some floor panels.

IMG_2301-XL.jpg

IMG_2319-XL.jpg

IMG_2320-XL.jpg

IMG_2321-XL.jpg

IMG_2322-XL.jpg

Yes, maybe too much backstory. After missing out on many a west-coast pig, @Pigeaten took pity and sold me this fine blue specimen.
IMG_2336-XL.jpg
so i do have a little sellers remorse, this pig(Chuck) runs like a top. Feeling a little insecure with the sty being partially filled, But navydivedoc has been lurking around awhile, Chuck is going to a good home-Enjoy my brother in swine

s***. That truck just needs to be fluid filmed and driven.
This is exactly what I would do.
Buy complete set of everything Bobm has in stock and stash it away for a rainy day to keep future options open and drive that pig as is.
I need to get it to pass New Hampshire inspection, so there is probably some repair to the body mounts and floors at a minimum. It will be driven, at least for the non-winter months in New England. No salting the bacon. @bobm, like we talked about beer is on me and I'll take one of everything.

It's headed to Georg @orangefj45 for some mechanical love before it comes east. Disc brake upgrade in the front, MC booster, new TRE on the power steering set up (and make sure that was done right). I have a set of OME shackles to go in, new bushings, and a set of Boss airbags for the rear. I'm going to work with Georg and try to get an inch or so of lift. The OME set up is higher and looks harsher than I want.

New tires on it, but at 235/75r15, not going to cut it. If anyone in Cali needs a set, they'll be at Valley hybrids. Not a lot of options in 15. I like the 33x10.5, but not sure I can make them work with suspension as above. I may sell the wheel and tire set and go with some 16s, 235/85 or 255/85. Trying to strike the right balance between grocery getter and capable pig.

At least for now, the 3 on the column stays. I learned to drive in a 61 impala with that set-up. It's so rare, I can't bring myself to change it...yet anyway.

Last edited:
I've wanted a Pig for a while. I blame @wngrog and his parts-o-pig thread for getting it started. Finalized by touring this sub-forum and you fine gentlemen. Since I live on the east coast, there are essentially none out here. I troll the ads on Mud, on the Facebook Land Cruiser pages, etc. Mainly, I watch the deals go down on the west coast and wish I could grab one of them. But, how the hell can I buy a pig sight unseen from the east coast? Crazy, yes?

A month or so ago, I found what looked like a decent Pig in California. Orange, V8 conversion, listed as a 5 speed. Rust didn't look too bad. I posted this in the classifieds, wishing I could go sweep it up but figuring someone could go get it. I think it was the next day, @Pigeaten posted his new addition to his Pen, Ornch.

I was happy to see it go to a good home, and once again disappointed that it wasn't mine.

A few weeks go by, and another Pig pops up.

In California again, of course. Knowing @Pigeaten was at least somewhere nearby, and was generally up for a Pig rescue roadtrip, I shot him a quick message to see if he was up for a roadtrip to have a look at this beast for me. A big ask, but I was starting to suffer from swine fever. I didn't need cowbell, I needed steel pig goodness. As an aside, in my message, I asked if he might be willing to sell the 1970 FJ55 he'd picked up in Oregon from @Guster. I'd followed that deal as well, sorry I missed it.

As luck would have it, Ornch made @Pigeaten's sty overfilled. He felt sorry for the easterner living in rust land, and thankful for pointing out the post selling Ornch. The blue pig was mine!

@Guster found this Pig via craigslist in Oregon. Dragged this home
Pig%20original%20state-L.jpg

And proceeded to do a ton of work. Build thread here
Eventually this went up for sale Pig sale thread
This was picked up by @Pigeaten via, I believe, a 13 hour road trip. Brought back to its new home in California. Got some hubcaps and a mirror, and a little love. From there, is the purpose of this build thread.

With all that as intro, this is my new Pig.

IMG_2337-XL.jpg

IMG_2336-XL.jpg
Congrats! You picked the right color!

so i do have a little sellers remorse, this pig(Chuck) runs like a top. Feeling a little insecure with the sty being partially filled, But navydivedoc has been lurking around awhile, Chuck is going to a good home-Enjoy my brother in swine
The Pig Karma is strong on this deal, and I am very appreciative. Chuck will have a warm, dry home with everything he needs. BTW, I never did get the backstory on that name. Care to share?

I drove the Warthog for a long time on 33’s. No lift.

Get a set of KM3s. The 33” are really barely 31” mounted on Cruiser wheels. Which, you may need a new set of when you go to disc brakes if those are riveted

I drove the Warthog for a long time on 33’s. No lift.

Get a set of KM3s. The 33” are really barely 31” mounted on Cruiser wheels. Which, you may need a new set of when you go to disc brakes if those are riveted
Good point on the wheels, I hadn't thought to ask. @Pigeaten, rivets or welds?
I've had good luck with the Summit wheel vintiques. 16x6. Those are the likely alternative, with some Maxxis skinnies like my 61. As you know, Maxxis 235/85r16 are a genuine 31.5-32". I'm assuming the 255/85 would not fit on stock springs. They were taller than 35 BFG KMs I replaced on my 66.

Good options anyway. Georg said he'd steal a set of 33x10.5 off another truck at his shop and try them for fit once we got the shackles and bags on.

Last edited:
Chuck will have a warm, dry home with everything he needs. BTW, I never did get the backstory on that name. Care to share?

Congrats @navydivedoc, glad to see Chuck will continue to live on through the forums. I bought the pig from the son of the previous owner. The dad had passed away a while back and his name was Charles so that's why I named the pig Chuck.

Those wheels are from this 78 FJ55, Green FJ55 build, so you should be ok. I had them powder coated and bought the tires and then they sat around until I had the body back on the frame for the 78 project. I then realized the tires were way too small, so I swapped them over to Chuck.

I've had good luck with the Summit wheel vintiques. 16x6. Those are the likely alternative, with some Maxxis skinnies like my 61. As you know, Maxxis 235/85r16 are a genuine 31.5-32". I'm assuming the 255/85 would fit on stock springs. They were taller than 35 BFG KMs I replaced on my 66.

Good options anyway. Georg said he'd steal a set of 33x10.5 off another truck at his shop and try them for fit once we got the shackles and bags on.

You know I love the vintique and 235/85-15 is great but Pigs need hubcaps. Get the OEM steelies. Paint smoke gray and get the KM3s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom