Builds 1965 FJ45lv build up/resto thread (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Radd Cruisers said:
Wow..........

Looking super good, putting down paint is so exciting, things are starting to really come together.

Are you using the original glass or having new stuff cut?

We cut all new glass for one of our restorations, it turned out nice having new glass without all the little scratches from years of dirt.

Only down side its less factory without the toyota enscribed on the glass.

We are using the original glass. It's actually in pretty good shape, it may have a scratch or 2, but I don't think I want to spend the extra money for new glass.

Glass guy called me this morning, he had a guy call in sick so now were planning on this afternoon.

Matt

MDH33 said:
Matt, is there a benefit to having the glass in place before you paint?

Looking great!!

:cheers:

If you look at everything I have been painting you will notice how the base/clear fades onto the outside of all the openings. All the windows and door openings have been painted into the jams and fades onto the outside. In the autobody industry I believe the term is called, "jamming" at least that's what my autobody friend calls it.

The inside, all the doors, tailgate, etc.. will have the inside painted and then faded onto the outside. Now your probably asking, "why don't you just paint each part and then bolt it on?"

About 3 main reason's for this:

1. No matter how careful you are (and maybe some guys can get away with this) you stand a very good chance of barking it up when you re-assemble if the part was completely painted. Then at this point you would have to go back and buff out or possibly even re-paint and blend in a certain area.

2. This is a 2 tone paint job. Everything was marked on the doors and jams prior to removal with a string line.....but, there might be a minor, minor change on one of the doors and then your paint line's would not match up. Panting the exterior all at once ensures the the tape line transfers from each edge perfect and that all lines match up.

3. I don't care if the paint comes out of the same can or not. The exact same paint sprayed on 2 different days can look different. Humidity, temperature, pressure.....many factors can contribute to different drying times and how the color can look. I have personally seen this happen many times, it is almost impossible to get the same color out of the same can to look exactly the same if they have been sprayed at different times.

Essentially you build a complete running/driving vehicle and then backtape everything and shoot your exterior color all at once.

Matt

Last edited:
^^^ Interesting. I never would have thunk it, but it makes sense.

Well one of those days where things just didn't fall into place as planned.

Glass guy showed after lunch as promised but, unfortunetly not one piece of glass fit. The winshield he made was a tad to big so he had to bring it back to the shop to grind it down. The rear hatch window was to big, it was orginal and tempered glass so he will have to make a new one. The side glass was about a 1/4" smaller all the way around the flange opening, but both were way to loose for SOR's windshield gasket, so new ones of those will have to be made also. So, basiclly I get new glass all the way around (except for the doors.....so far). He measured SOR's gaskets I had and said the glass should be about an 1/8" to a 3/16" back from the flange. He made templates of all the openings and is going to cut glass a 1/8" shy, that way he can grind it back if he has to. He took the rear hatch frame with him, I had painted that last week. He called me later in the day to let me know that he had that cut and already in, said it looked pretty good.

When I got home this evening I figured I would try to get something done so I started jamming the doors. Funny how you think you have all the imperfections out and then you shoot some paint :rolleyes: So, I had to let base dry and the dry sand with 400 and re-shoot, took some time. I did manage to get the beige on, but still had to do a little sanding here and there. So what should have taken 2 hours took about 4 and I still didin't get clear on. I had overspray mist in some of my taped edges, so I decided to call it a night.

I've got to head to Dallas tomorrrow afternoon, figured I would let the base dry until I got back on Monday. Good and dry and I can wet sand out the beige overspray, not a big deal, but thought it best to call it a night the way it was going. If I wet sand out on Monday I should be able to shoot some clear next Tuesday.....probably round up the glass guy again next week and give that a try again

Anyway, pics.

Matt
Mvc-002s.jpg
Mvc-005s.jpg
Mvc-006s.jpg

last 3
Mvc-007s.jpg
Mvc-008s.jpg
Mvc-010s.jpg

Matt, Is OEM glass availble?

If it is I can buy it at my cost and ship it to you. Contact your local dealer, but ask if there is a SOLAR option for yours. Mine did so when I bought all new glass it has a light green tint to it.

Best.

AATLAS1X said:
Matt, Is OEM glass availble?

If it is I can buy it at my cost and ship it to you. Contact your local dealer, but ask if there is a SOLAR option for yours. Mine did so when I bought all new glass it has a light green tint to it.

Best.

No, I don't believe OEM glass is still available unfortunetly. The OEM weatherstripping is not available either so supposedly the fix is to use the same windshield gasket and cut it down to fit. Has to be specificly an 1/8" smaller around the edge to fit this gasket. Nothing I had was right, so all of it is being made right now.

Appreciate the offer, if it was available I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one taking you up on that ;)

Matt

At work this morning, heading to the airport around noon for Dallas.

Glass guy shows up this morning and asks if I want to get that taken care of before I leave.......What do you think I said? ;)

Took him an hour and 15 minutes....Pics from about 10 minutes ago :)

Glass he cut fits perfect.

Matt
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG

last 2
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-008S.JPG

The cost of doing such a nice job on your resto must be outrageous. I can't think of anyone that wouldn't like to do their work to the same standard (assuming they had your skill level) but I can think of very few that can afford to do such a top notch job.

After having gotten this far on your project are the costs for say a TLC resto starting to seem more reasonable?... or do you have access to enough buddies that do this kind of thing that the costs haven't gone completely out of control (like they would've if a mere shade tree guy such as myself were at the helm). :confused:

This truck should not be driven, it needs to be in a museum!

Beautiful looking work, congrats.

Adam

Wow that looks great. boy am I a long way from there. i have to keep myslef from reading the new posts in your handbook, i mean thread, I'm still under the frame reconstruction section. i really can't wait to see this when its done, I vote to make the thread a sticky so its always at the top too much good information for it not to be
Jason

Glass looks great!

No more progress from now until next monday!!? :crybaby:

Have a safe trip!

legion said:
The cost of doing such a nice job on your resto must be outrageous. I can't think of anyone that wouldn't like to do their work to the same standard (assuming they had your skill level) but I can think of very few that can afford to do such a top notch job.

After having gotten this far on your project are the costs for say a TLC resto starting to seem more reasonable?... or do you have access to enough buddies that do this kind of thing that the costs haven't gone completely out of control (like they would've if a mere shade tree guy such as myself were at the helm). :confused:

mmmmm.............. I wouldn't say outrageous, it ain't free, but it hasn't sticker shocked me yet and I'm almost done. As far as comparing to the cost of a TLC resto, I am WAY under that!!!

I think most here would like to do their work to the same standard, if not better. I'm not saying that my work or this truck is perfect by any means. There are several areas I think personally could have been done a little better, but it also comes down to time and wanting to finish. I've said before, I am very aware of how many projects like this start and then stop, I don't want to loose any momentium. And sometimes some things could be a tad better, but I need to move on. In the end, the truck is going to look awesome and it is goint to be DRIVEN!! A LOT!!!

I also think a lot of guys here could afford to do this level of work. There is nothing magical about it, just takes some experience and motivation. I have access to some buddies to help, but 99.9% of the work has been done by myself. I see you are new here, you also need to keep in mind there are almost 2000 posts on this thread right now. All of those are not from me, many, many other mud members offering words of encourgement and technical advice. So as far as other buddies, couple locally and a few more thousand here on mud ;)

I'll give you a perfect example of cost savings and a shade tree mechanic (like yourself) doing it yourself. Upholstery: How much do you think it would have cost to have that done in the colors I have?? SOR sells each seat cover for $500 each x 2 = $1000. Carpet set I think is $350? Door panels are about the same as the carpet. So, roughly got $1700 + freight in just upholstery. I paid $400 bucks for all the material (and then some) to do all of the above. Then I bought a used industrial sewing machine for $250. So, I'm $650 into the upholstery and I get the colors I want. I have never sewn a thing in my life, I just bought a book, rounded up the wife and the in-laws, and taught ourselves how to do it. My point is, if I can do it YOU can do it and also save a few bucks in the end.

Not trying to flame or argue, just want everyone to know that what I am doing is doable for anyone. Only reason I have been posting all this stuff up is to get ideas from other mud members and also give a little in return :)

Matt

MDH33 said:
Glass looks great!

No more progress from now until next monday!!? :crybaby:

Have a safe trip!

Hey, I'm in Dallas right now :)

Going to be working on an FJ60 tomorrow here, I'll post a couple pics of that tomorrow ;)

Matt

buckroseau said:
My point is, if I can do it YOU can do it and also save a few bucks in the end.

Point well taken, however there is something to be said about having such a sweet shop and tools as what we've seen in these pictures. Having the space to work comfortably is very important IMHO.

Might sound weird, but there is a book called "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance" and it has a good discussion of things that can rob you of your motivation, he talks about getting "stuck" and suggests ways to prevent getting "Stuck" or how to get "unstuck".

Anyway - my point is, frame of mind is very important.

[p.s. that book is fantastic, and it really has nothing to do with motorcycles, more about the philosphy of modern life]

retreats back into Lurk-ville

buckroseau said:
Not trying to flame or argue, just want everyone to know that what I am doing is doable for anyone. Only reason I have been posting all this stuff up is to get ideas from other mud members and also give a little in return :)

Shooot, no. No arguement from me at all. I've taken your comments as a compliment and am honored that you'd consider the shade tree guy capable of this kind of work. That said, I might have to reconsider myself as something a notch or two under a shade tree guy if this is what they're capable of.

I'm impressed and envious. Keep up the momentum. There are a zillion lurkers enjoying your thread at least as much as you're enjoying your project. Thanks for taking the time and effort to document it.

Matt, your thread has helped me alot for my own 45lwb truck rebuilding. I'm not as far along as you but should hopefully be close in a few months.

unstable_geek said:
Point well taken, however there is something to be said about having such a sweet shop and tools as what we've seen in these pictures. Having the space to work comfortably is very important IMHO.

Might sound weird, but there is a book called "Zen and the Art of Motorcyle Maintenance" and it has a good discussion of things that can rob you of your motivation, he talks about getting "stuck" and suggests ways to prevent getting "Stuck" or how to get "unstuck".

Anyway - my point is, frame of mind is very important.

[p.s. that book is fantastic, and it really has nothing to do with motorcycles, more about the philosphy of modern life]

retreats back into Lurk-ville

I don't think that sounds weird at all on the book, in fact I'm probably going to have my wife see if she can find it today. From what you little you described here it sounds extrememly interesting and helpful, to me at least.

What intrigues me the most about what you said is that it is titled about motorcylces and is more about the philosphy of modern life. It's kinda funny how in the TLCA's mag, "Toyota Trails" I get, I personally enjoy Mark Algazy's articles the best. How his columns are more about the person or philosphy of owning a Landcruiser, vs the Landcruiser itself.....at least that's how I have always taken most of his writing.

Your also right about the tools, space and shop to work comfortably on things, I do have that. I have made a point of making sure before I start any project that I am prepared to do it, I would consider all of this logistics. Not only the tools, shop and space, but the time and money. Time and money for me is not unlimitted (although it might seem like it), in my head I am always planning and figuring my next move weeks ahead of time so that parts and equipment are there when needed. I also don't watch TV, I think this is a big thing. I know it's easy to get caught up with all the cool stuff that's out there right now on the discovery channel, A&E and the history channel. I admit, the few times I have seen some of those cool shows on those channels at friends house's I think there awesome! But, I choose not to have it in the house to be tempted by it, so no cool TV to watch.

Hopefully should have that book tonight if the wife can find it today in Dallas :)

Thanks, Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom