1965 FJ45 LWB Saving a Survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dustin Messina

SILVER Star
Threads
This truck has made its rounds on mud! However, it caught my eye when @cruiserjunktion had it for sale and I wanted it, but didn't pull the trigger. Fast forward a few months and I get a text from @nvrlose54 with pictures of this truck in his shop. Long story short he connected me with @TachedOutOffRoad and we struck a deal using a partial trade for a 78 pig project I had and the rest is history! It finally found its way to me yesterday and I am stoked to save this survivor.

I've been a 45 lwb fan from the start and when @wngrog secured the goat and I got to see it and when I drove it I knew I had to own one....one day. There are no build plans for this truck, just use it and preserve it. This truck is 55 years old so belts, hoses, etc will be in its future for sure, but really anything I do to this thing will be to improve driveabillity. First on the list is the exhaust manifold gasket--remflex on order. I like the idea of disk brakes, freshen up the springs and maybe a slightly taller tire for some rubber over drive for the 3 speed, but I'll let Nolen get the formula right with the goat before I start throwing money at it!!

25.jpg

1.jpg

24.jpg

27.jpg

7.jpg

photos via @nvrlose54 when it was at his shop. He welded on a muffler, rebuilt carb, put a new coil on it and put some miles on it! That looks to be the only real rust issue on the truck besides surface rust.

11.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

I reached out to @Randy Mugford who saved this truck from hauling coal in Pennsylvania then imported to Canada added a repaint and drove it around for a bit. He gave me a couple of good shots of the truck as well.

PS I tried to make this a build thread, but didn't see the prefix drop down in thread menu. If anybody knows how to change that let me know.

10.png

14.png

I am on the look out for the front wing door glass for drivers side if someone has one let me know.

31.png

Do you have the wing window frame? If yes, just have a glass shop cut a new one.

Dustin uses as many exclamation points as my daughter but it does show how excited he is about this truck. It’s in a good place. He basically saved it from @TachedOutOffRoad and @TachedOutOffRoad was saved from this truck.

In on the first page!!!!!

Dustin uses as many exclamation points as my daughter but it does show how excited he is about this truck. It’s in a good place. He basically saved it from @TachedOutOffRoad and @TachedOutOffRoad was saved from this truck.

In on the first page!!!!!
Your daughter drives a badass 100 that she stole from you... so I'll take it!!!!!

Do you have the wing window frame? If yes, just have a glass shop cut a new one.
I do have the frame and hardware. This may be the route I go then.

^Still available new from Mr T last time I checked.
Good to know. Might try to find one with a little age before I go bright an new.

Pretty easy to create patina quickly. Do a quick search... lots of people have recommendations. There’s some brush on stuff etc.

I’ve always thrown stuff on the side of the house during the winter but there are much easier ways these days.

Quality repaint? Looks REALLY red. Maybe I’m just used to Grogan’s. In for the ride...

Quality repaint? Looks REALLY red. Maybe I’m just used to Grogan’s. In for the ride...

it appears to have brush strokes...

@3_puppies had a bug catcher window/glass a bit ago he offered me (I didn't need it though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom