1963 FJ45L FOUND! Restoration and Info Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmaddox

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello crew.

Many of you may have come across some of the FJ40 builds I have done in the past. In the back of my mind I always wanted to find an FJ45. Well, with the help of my good friend Steve Helmreich, we found one hidden in a shed here in Colorado Springs with an AMAZING history.

Meet Barney, purchased just today October 17, 2008.

One owner, 1963 all original FJ45 SWB. It even had the original 1963 plates on it.

I even have the full history on this! This FJ45 was purchased in 1963 by Mr. McKiernan. He was a volunteer for the San Bernandino Mountain Search and Rescue. It was lightly used, and then stored for the rest of it's life! Score!

I am a picture freak (hope you don't mind). I grabbed a burger today and went and picked up Barney. Arriving at my shop:

Blizzcon2008003.jpg

HORNETS!!!! My goodness HORNETS...! I bombed the interior with Raid, as there was a hornets nest in the dash!

Here are just a few of the victims:

Blizzcon2008001.jpg

My buddy Steve warned me of such residents, but I didn't know they were that bad. I also stopped by a friends house on the way home and they were not too bad then. The ride to the shop stirred up the population for sure!

The first thing I did was hose all the hinges with lubricant protectant. I also hit all the gaskets (window/etc.) with it as well.

Blizzcon2008002.jpg

Blizzcon2008004.jpg

Notice there are NO DENTS and NO RUST! This has been parked since 1998, and before that was stored in a barn in Norco, CA.

Blizzcon2008008.jpg

Blizzcon2008009.jpg

Original wheels and hubcaps!

Blizzcon2008010.jpg

The HUSKY hubs turn like a charm!

Blizzcon2008012.jpg

There are no signs of use in the entire bed!?

Blizzcon2008011.jpg

Engine bay - totally clean! (note there were 4 boxes of parts, which included the oil bath air cleaner, etc..)

Blizzcon2008013.jpg

As mentioned, this was purchased in 1963. I peeled off the "renew" stickers and check this out:

Blizzcon2008016.jpg

Blizzcon2008015.jpg

Jack and components, still in place:

Blizzcon2008017.jpg

Solid floors:

Blizzcon2008018.jpg

Eaton heater!

Blizzcon2008019.jpg

Blizzcon2008020.jpg

Into the shop!

Blizzcon2008022.jpg

Blizzcon2008026.jpg

I want to thank Steve Helmreich and Rob Grimes for helping me daily scan the nickel ads, craigslist, and our many other sources of finding things, and for putting up with my "I GOTTA HAVE A CRUISER" disease when I am cruiserless.

I can't wait to update you guys on more.

Thanks for checking this out. I will update soon with more pictures.

Last edited:
Wow, find of the century! What are you going to do with it?

Ya know, Dallas.............

Seein as how this authentic vehicle has California plates and all, you probably should return it here to California.

Needless to say, I personally volunteer to take it off your hands to complete its journey back home to the land of sun and surf.

What say you??

All kidding aside, great find--congrats !

Wow, find of the century! What are you going to do with it?

I "plan" on doing the following. (I am using plan loosely, because I am just speculating at this point).

1. 2 1/2" OME
2. Later "F" Head and 2bbl Aisin
3. Front disc axle swap
4. 33x10.50 BFG MT
5. Paint
6. MAYBE 4 speed on the floor conversion.

As usual, will use all genuine Toyota parts, and so on. Some people would cringe at the thought of me poking holes in the floor for a 4 speed and/or a PTO winch, but I am fond of the F to 4 speed combo. My buddy even has a 79 2F that I have thought about doing with Toyota power steering, etc.. but at this point, I just want to mechanically get it sound and get it all cleaned up.

Regardless, you will not see this "hulked out" or some crazy spring over trail rig that gets the crap beat out of it. It will see trail time however, just not anything crazy.

Just some thoughts.....

See ya,

Dallas

PS. Colorado > California (he he he, just ribbin ya!)

hope you're not planning on running any shop rags through the engine:lol:sweet score dallas!

Beautiful Rig! What a score, cant wait to see the build up thread.

I'm sick!!

I'm glad to see that you're hard work looking for one has paid off in a big way!!

CONGRATS!!!

very cool truck for sure.

that inside upper rear cab vinyl piece is pretty neat. have not seen that before. anybody know the story with that piece? was it standard, dealer added, looks to be the same material as the seats.

nick

I "plan" on doing the following. (I am using plan loosely, because I am just speculating at this point).

1. 2 1/2" OME
2. Later "F" Head and 2bbl Aisin
3. Front disc axle swap
4. 33x10.50 BFG MT
5. Paint
6. MAYBE 4 speed on the floor conversion.

Just some thoughts.....

See ya,

Dallas

PS. Colorado > California (he he he, just ribbin ya!)

:rolleyes:

congrats, great, great find,
please, please stay stock, :)
rattle the interior back to original colours .
Cheers
Peter

very cool truck for sure.

that inside upper rear cab vinyl piece is pretty neat. have not seen that before. anybody know the story with that piece? was it standard, dealer added, looks to be the same material as the seats.

nick

Nick,

I was wondering the same. It looks either professionally done, or an OEM option. The screws look toyota, and they look old. The material is the same color as the seats, but not a match.

I'm wondering what the history is on that. Who knows, the mountain search and rescue squad may have required some kind of padding and added it along with the air tank underneath and the horns on the driver side.

See ya,

Dallas

Pretty sure its stock.I have a 64 swb fix top,and it has the holes pre drilled for that rear piece.When I first got it there was very small pieces of the material left over under some of the screws.

STOCK!!!

Three on the Tree Rules!

The only thing I would do to it is change to a dual circuit
master cylinder so it does not wind up like Gene's Wagon

I vote for stock too. Wish my LV was still three on the tree. :cool:

And yes, definately upgrade the brakes.

Guess what guys? Last known run date was over 10 years ago. (1998). I changed the oil this evening, shot a quick squirt of marvel in each spark plug hole, put some fresh gas in.....BAM, fired right up and even idled. Wow.....

To answer the previous question there are 70K miles on her. Most of which was deliveries.

More soon!

Dallas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom