Builds 1960 FJ28L - Project Lara (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@scoobiedubes

I had probably the same issues with body panels fabrication integrated in a body shop construction.
The first projects went well, they were motivated and picky, but as I did several cars fase 2 and 3 over the years, they silently invented their own rhythm and system of tackling your project, till it became bit by bit very disappointing, time consuming and stressfull.
My loved hobby also became nearly work.
I figured out from other local classic car friends, who had several cars lined up over the years and simply couldn't get them done anymore. My problem wasn't the only one.
In the end after years of strugling they pulled the car away, located them in other body shops, knowing that these body shops didn't have the knowledge and quality to deliver a good project as the first body shop, but now they were desperately willing to giving those a change again. All resulted in more problems and wasted time because the cars where still ready.
The only way out seemed to store the cars and throw the key away.
After stopping all works for a year my opinion was that the problem lies that in my case I gave the restauration job to one shop as it is easier and nowbody can be blame the earlier part of the restauration process as they took the whole job.
Therefor I have split it all up now, choose of each profession the best guy or shop.
4 shops in different locations are now involved.
It goes much beter now, I control more frequenly and I know more were it's at and what I'm up to.
The satisfaction returned and the stress is much less, less disappointments.
So far im running the process in a third of the time as before.
The communication between customer and professional is back, less "I'm sorry didn't have time" stories, less misplaced parts and pretty much all do more their best on their specialized part.
On top of it it's easier to control and I don't leave the car the shop anymore with the hands in the air like "Will this car ever get finished" !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom