Builds 1958 project Sundune (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if that was a PO repair, or just another method Toyota used? My late 58 and 1960 FST both have the slotted screws through the body.

TLC4x4s FJ25, now at Utah museum
View attachment 2777530

yeah who knows, when it comes to early Toyota stuff. Anything is possible. Lol

I can’t believe I have never noticed that before. I am half tempted to just weld the bracket on. I don’t think it looks right drilled. What are your thoughts? Holes with rivets or bolts or have it look perfect from the outside?

Gebe, it’s your choice. I think if your tub is not drilled then may as well keep it looking clean.

Working on the engine now. I also have the body in primer now. Metal work is finished.

View attachment 2775008

View attachment 2775009

View attachment 2775010

View attachment 2775011

View attachment 2775012

Gabe, as I pointed out to @tahoe40/45 , in one of my previous reply. Another detail to look at is that bolt pattern for mounting driver seat brackets (behind tool box) on pre early 59 are different in configuration. (The one that is closer to the centre of the tub is where the difference is). In short they are mirror image of each other.

Check pics below for bolt pattern. My brackets are not original,

7DACF03F-24FF-4A89-A623-BACBC3D9A4EA.jpeg

0873DAB7-EC30-4E2F-B092-5C19E09EC3E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Gabe, as I pointed out to @tahoe40/45 , in one of my previous reply. Another detail to look at is that bolt pattern for mounting driver seat brackets (behind tool box) on pre early 59 are different in configuration. (The one that is closer to the centre of the tub is where the difference is). In short they are mirror image of each other.

Check pics below for bolt pattern. My brackets are not original,

View attachment 2778435

View attachment 2778436
Thanks for pointing that out. I will post more photos soon for you guys to look over. I want to only paint it once! Any thing you guys see before that is much appreciated! Anything you see after it’s painted you can just keep to yourself. 😂

A bolt?
Aye! Just kidding, love the details. Do tell.

Is this what you are using to find all these cool old parts? Nice find!!
View attachment 2791363
If I had one of those I would bring you back one too. I do a lot of research looking for part numbers. Cross reference the Toyota ones with the original manufacturers numbers and then search the globe for the number until I get a hit. I do this a few times per week with the specialty parts I have been hunting.

Next time I am visiting the in-laws in Middlebury, I'd love to stop by and check out this restoration.

pretty! I was really interested to see that you got a switch, I have several heaters but haven't ever really been able to figure out how they were originally switched. Admittedly, haven't dont a lot of research on that just yet. I see it in the wiring diagrams but don't know if Toyota used their own switch or if they had a Denso switch mounted under the dash like that one you've got.

At any rate, great find! Its always nice finding a part that doesn't require any restoration before you bolt it on!

pretty! I was really interested to see that you got a switch, I have several heaters but haven't ever really been able to figure out how they were originally switched. Admittedly, haven't dont a lot of research on that just yet. I see it in the wiring diagrams but don't know if Toyota used their own switch or if they had a Denso switch mounted under the dash like that one you've got.

At any rate, great find! Its always nice finding a part that doesn't require any restoration before you bolt it on!
Exactly! I will sell my old clamshells and save a ton of time not having to restore one. Time is money.

Can you get a good color match, before you install?
Looks great
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom