2015 LX570 Rear differential leak. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone help me troubleshoot this possible leak that I have somewhere on my rear axle on my 2015 LX570 w/ 111,230 on the ODO. I went back to work yesterday after being off work for the past 5 days. During my 5 day off stretch, I have been consistently driving around like crazy in my LX570.
Yesterday, I made the 85 mile work drive with no issues, and yesterday evening my girlfriend sent me the picture of the stain on our inclinded. Surprisingly, when she took the picture, she stuck her finger on the stain to smell it, then went into the garage, and started smelling the coolant, and liquids out so she could tell me what it was...kudos to her.
This really started driving me crazy once I saw the picture she sent because the whole days I have been off, their has been no issues, and their has been no stains in the driveway b/c I look everytime I come and go. Of course the day I don't look, I get a suprise picture lol.
I spent my dinner break crawling around under my car and found the pumpkin on my rear axle wet, and it looks like the diff fluid might have got flung around during the drive, because there is diff fluid on the spare tire where it faces the diff, on the rear bumper, on the rear hatch, and some of the rear window.
After work last nite my buddy and I dropped the spare, and I got underneath and looked around and noticed the top of the rear pumpkin it a little more wet than the other areas. I also noticed while feeling around, the my breather tube on tue passenger side, is wet as well.
Is it possible that my differential vent & breather tube are clogged, and are the culprit of this leak due to the constant change in the weather we have been having?
I watched a couple of videos on YT this morning and they all said that this is a common issue diff vents and breather tubes on the Toyota rear axles due to rust build up.
I have never had this issue with any of my other Land Cruisers, so I don't know how to troubleshoot this issue to find the problem. I feel like this is way to early of a problem to have on this vehicle

IMG_8570.jpg

20240207_174910.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, I looked the rear pinion seal and that area is dry. It's the rear area of the pumpkin this is wet.

Is the differential breather clogged? If so, it can cause gas expansion when hot... that can lead to leaks. Part number is 9093003097, I believe...very cheap part
That's what I am wondering. Because I didn't have any issue's whatsoever until the leak yesterday morning. I'm just worried b/c I can't do anything about it until Saturday morning. Plus I have to drive 85 miles back home tomorrow night. Thank you for that part number. Hopefully if it is the diff breather, I can just clean it out and call it good.

That's what I am wondering. Because I didn't have any issue's whatsoever until the leak yesterday morning. I'm just worried b/c I can't do anything about it until Saturday morning. Plus I have to drive 85 miles back home tomorrow night. Thank you for that part number. Hopefully if it is the diff breather, I can just clean it out and call it good.
If you can reach it, you can unclamp the breather and pull out it off of the hose. You can then test it by blowing through it. Worst case: take the breather off the hose for your 85 mile drive (as long as you're driving on pavement, you shouldn't get any debris into the hose).

If you can reach it, you can unclamp the breather and pull out it off of the hose. You can then test it by blowing through it. Worst case: take the breather off the hose for your 85 mile drive (as long as you're driving on pavement, you shouldn't get any debris into the hose).
I found this picture when I typed in the part number you gave me. I noticed last nite when under there, that, that part in the picture is actually rusted. So when I go inspect things again at dinner I'm going to try and get a better look since it was pitched and I was under the car using the flashlight on my phone.
My drive home will be just a highway drive. Out of curiosity what would happen if I disconnected the breather hose from the axle and drove home?
By chance do you have the part number for the actual breather hose?

Screenshot_20240208_144235_Chrome.jpg

are you sure it’s diff fluid. There are AHC lines in that area that also carry hydraulic fluid.
That thought has crossed my mind, but my AHC is still working. I'll check the AHC resivoir as well.

That thought has crossed my mind, but my AHC is still working. I'll check the AHC resivoir as well.
Your friend was on the right track using smell. Gear oil stinks in its own special way.

And I got confirmation on what the issue is right when I pull up to the 4 way stop right by my house...looks like I will be joining the LX570 AHC delete/ traditional suspension club.

20240210_005629.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you found the issue, unfortunate it was the AHC line. Unless the rest of your system also shows that much corrosion just swapping the line may be easier than ditching AHC. I have over twice the miles and an extra 800# constant weight and it still performs great.

Last edited:
Glad you found the issue, unfortunate it was the AHC line. Unless the rest of your system also shows that much corrosion just swapping the line may be easier than ditching AHC. I have over twice the miles and an extra 800# constant weight and it still performs great.
Thanks for your reply. A fellow mudder hooked me up with the part number that I need. I just need to call the dealership on Monday, and see how much it would cost for them to fix this and get me up and running smooth again.
I'm also considering take a look underneath there when I get home next Thursday from work and seeing if I can do the job myself in my garage. This whole situation is just irritating in general. I've only put 9,000 miles on this LX since I bought it last September. When I bought it from Ed Martin Toyota, they told me, that they had just shelled out around $6k-$7,500 and replaced the AHC system and if I maintained it, I was good for another 100,000 miles. So I'm a little disheartened that I'm having to deal with this issue this early into the ownership.

Thanks for your reply. A fellow mudder hooked me up with the part number that I need. I just need to call the dealership on Monday, and see how much it would cost for them to fix this and get me up and running smooth again.
I'm also considering take a look underneath there when I get home next Thursday from work and seeing if I can do the job myself in my garage. This whole situation is just irritating in general. I've only put 9,000 miles on this LX since I bought it last September. When I bought it from Ed Martin Toyota, they told me, that they had just shelled out around $6k-$7,500 and replaced the AHC system and if I maintained it, I was good for another 100,000 miles. So I'm a little disheartened that I'm having to deal with this issue this early into the ownership.
I don’t think that line was replaced only 9k miles ago. Give Ed Martin a call and see if they will help with the repair costs, given what they told you at purchase.

It’s entirely possible that 6-7k at the Lexus dealer was just replacing the accumulator/globes. Even though there are much cheaper ways to order them, I think the US market MSRP for the globes is nearly $1k each. Also might have been a service affected by the bad batch of fluid, and they may have replaced the pump as well.

On a rig with corrosion it should be pretty obvious what had been replaced recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom