15" vs 16" Wheels Pros and Cons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The smoothies were $145/ea when I ordered in Feb and no issues balancing that I've noticed. I love my G003s so far but only have about 3k miles on them. They run true to size whereas BFGs usually run undersized. If you stayed with 15" wheels, RAZR MTs will get you a true 33" as well.

The smoothies were $145/ea when I ordered in Feb and no issues balancing that I've noticed. I love my G003s so far but only have about 3k miles on them. They run true to size whereas BFGs usually run undersized. If you stayed with 15" wheels, RAZR MTs will get you a true 33" as well.

So those 70 series wheels can be ordered to the local Toyota dealership through the online link?

Another vote for the 16s. Better tire selection and you can use bigger brakes underneath them. Are there any pros to the 15" besides retaining factory size??

These are the 70 series wheels like others in this thread and are on 255/85/16 Yoko Geolander MT G003 tires which are also awesome. Balance up with no issues. Bought them from my local Toyota dealer.

IMG_0375.JPG

9EEB64A7-195B-4CEC-934F-76795711CDD1.JPG

fullsizeoutput_20e5.jpeg

IMG_1425.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

@Hokie LX looking good! I found a set of 315/75 that was too good to pass up. I have run Yoko Geolandar and they are an amazing tire.

I like the look of the 70 rims, but maybe too narrow for the 315s

Wonder how those would sit with a 315/75/16 on them?

I may need to find a 16x8 wheel...?
That’s too big and will likely bulge and wear funny.

@mattressking did this with the 80 steel wheels and that size tire. But that was wider.

That’s too big and will likely bulge and wear funny.

@mattressking did this with the 80 steel wheels and that size tire. But that was wider.

Hola amigo, Alex is right. 315/75 will ‘fit’ a 60 with medium/heavy lift with stock bumpers, no winch. You’ll rub mudflaps at lock until they start to wear. They’ll get ripped off when you wheel and you’ll rub the front of the wheel well and cut the tires against the fender well bolts when you stuff them. You need a 4” lift and extended bump stops then you’re fine. If it never sees a trail, you’re fine.

Also 315s will bulge a lot on a 6” wheel and if E rated which they probably are, will be stiffer than your usual C.

Hola amigo, Alex is right. 315/75 will ‘fit’ a 60 with medium/heavy lift with stock bumpers, no winch. You’ll rub mudflaps at lock until they start to wear. They’ll get ripped off when you wheel and you’ll rub the front of the wheel well and cut the tires against the fender well bolts when you stuff them. You need a 4” lift and extended bump stops then you’re fine. If it never sees a trail, you’re fine.

Also 315s will bulge a lot on a 6” wheel and if E rated which they probably are, will be stiffer than your usual C.
Thanks! I’ll keep a lookout for a 16x8…

Also, the rig has a heavy kit on it and I have some extreme anti-inversion shackles in the mail.

I’ll post up some pics once I get Dusty all fixed up.

Cheers!

Thanks! I’ll keep a lookout for a 16x8…

Also, the rig has a heavy kit on it and I have some extreme anti-inversion shackles in the mail.

I’ll post up some pics once I get Dusty all fixed up.

Cheers!
That's the way then! I always enjoyed the tacoma/4runner 16x7's with 315s. If you did 17x6s or 17x7s you could do Kendas 34x10.5r17 also

That's the way then! I always enjoyed the tacoma/4runner 16x7's with 315s. If you did 17x6s or 17x7s you could do Kendas 34x10.5r17 also
Those 16" steelies aren't easy to come by. I missed out on some recently on FB for $150 for the whole set. Dang

You’d be surprised. You can get them refinished off of rock auto.

If they are out of stock, I actually ran that number though summit and they had them as well.

I've always had problems finding the correct backspacing for my 60 and 70 switching to 16's. Didn't realize i had to buy wheels from above suggested resources, so i've been running wheel spacers since forever. I hate using wheel spacers.

Every tire place or 4x4 place i went to could never find a supplier that provided a 16" rim with 3.5" offset back spacing.

Running 315/75/r16 Federal xplora's on my 70 atm but once their burnt out im considering going to 17's as ive heard theres a way better wheel selection with varying backspacing options. I think airing down ability should still be good running 35s on 17's.

Wish i knew about the above options when i was buying wheels last go around :bang:

OIP (3).jpg

Bloody Bastids!

So many great pictures now I really can't decide between the OEM Toyota wheels and the Vintiques smoothies!

:p :) :D👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom