13BT glowscreen (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
just a question as to what is normal. It's about 35-40 degF in my neck of the woods and the motor isn't starting as i'd like. It's a little hesitant but eventually starts. What I'm wondering is whether there is a period where the glowscreen doesn't activate and causes hard starts (around 40 deg F) but once it gets cold enough the screen will kick on and start easier.

I thought about adding a momentary switch to bypass the temp sensor and force the glowscreen for this intermediate temps. I did the tests according to the FSM and everything tests ok. It just doesn't seem that this system is functioning as designed.

any ideas?

-mike

plug the truck in.

We (all my brothers) start plugging or diesel cruisers in when it hits that 0* C mark (freezing) What's that, about 32*F??? We rearely have any starting issues at all.

I know warming it up will make it start easier but a DI low mileage diesel should not start like this. My 86 VW with 275k miles on it starts easier not plugged in.

Out of curiosity do you have a 13bt and if so what heater did you add on. is there a plug to remove to add one to the block or did you put on a oil pan heater? I don't think the 13bt ever came with a heater standard.

I'd love to plug in but since I'm an off-grid home that really isn't easily possible.

-mike

I though the same thing with mine last january. No glow at cold temps. What I found out is that with the factory turbo models the glow screen will not be activated until it is colder than 2C or 35.6F. I have to at about the 5 degree mark give it a little petrol with the hand throttle for about 10 sec and then she runs fine. I had the truck last year in minus 25C and after the glow screen fired it fired up no problems.

I do not have a 13b-t. I bought a block heater for a 2H and installed that in my HJ61 with the 12H-T. I also run an oil pan heater and I am purchasing a Webasto TSL 17 for the winter. You need to remove one of the frost plugs in the block. I would assume that a similiar block heater could be used out of the 3B. That doesn't realy solve your issue, however.

When I first got my truck I also thought some thing was wrong...no glow light until about -10*C...and I needed to apply slight throttle as well to keep the engine running. But it has always started. Even when -30 in moose camp. It didn't like it but it went.

Does the bio-diesel make for harder starting?

The Dude said:
plug the truck in.

We (all my brothers) start plugging or diesel cruisers in when it hits that 0* C mark (freezing) What's that, about 32*F??? We rearely have any starting issues at all.
i usually start pluging in at about -15C if i do at all.
run semi or full synthetic oil and the diesel cruiser will start below -30C without being pluged in...
the glow screens don't really work good till it is colder than -8C above that they really do suck. a manual over ride might be the ticket just don't hold it on for vary long...
cheers
Wayne

So here is what I did with great results...

Installed a momentary NC switch ($2.49 at Radio Shack) in line with the temp sensor that goes into the coolant housing. Mounted this switch in the dash.

How it operates is if it's cold you must push it before turning the key to ON. The glowscreen activates (i hold it for up to 5 seconds) and then start the rig. Fires right up like it does in the summer. You cannot push the button and activate the sensor after the car has started or if you have the key in ON already.

It really seems like the timer mechanism is designed poorly for this motor. When it's 32degF out the glowscreen kicks on for about 1/2 second and the rig doesn't start easily like it should. A hold of 2-3 seconds fires the rig up easily.

The max time the glowscreen will stay on even if holding the button is 14 sec. The current draw is pretty high (100a or so). The FSM only mentions not doing the glowscreen test (14 sec at 100a) a limited time for battery reasons not for burning out the glowscreen.

This mod really improved the cold starting of my 60 and would highly recommend it. I think it took a whole 30 min to install.

-mike

I was talking with Greg today and mentioned to him that this morning I found a little bit of ice on my windshield, but my glow screen didn't come on. I guess I'll have to test it somehow...but I can't help being paranoid with an electrical component that I need only a few times/year.

stone,
easy test for the glowscreen is to unplug the temp sensor (green plug hard to undo) from the coolant fill port and kick the ignition to on. the preheat light should come on for 14 seconds and shut off. big drain on the battery doing this though.

i've scraped the windows many times and the glowscreen doesn't activate until <35degF.

here's a diagram for the switch i wired in. if you don't use the switch the system works no different than stock. it just gives the option to add some glowscreen if you want and not crank and crank.....

my .02
-mike
GlowSwitch_lr.jpg

Very nice, thanks Mike!

gb

Alex, how long do you let your truck glow before you try and start ?? I have found that the glow light means very little to when the truck is ready to start . My glow light only comes on for a couple of seconds even when it is -20c . Everything in the system was cheked as per fsm and was in spec . I asked my very knowledgeable dtlc mechanic and he said turn the key on and wait at least 1 minute when it is cold out and she will fire right up....sure enough he was right . When it is really cold i turn it on untill the second relay clicks off then I cycle the key and wait for the first relay to click and she fires instsantly ..even in -25 c and not plugged in !!!
Hth , Daryl

Mike: After I went wheeling for the past couple of days and experienced hard starting due to cooler weather (roughly freezing point, but not cold enough to trigger the glow screen), I decided that I would do the manual glow screen override as you have kindly illustrated. I looked in my FSM for the proper wire to cut and pass through my momentary NC switch from the glow screen timer harness under the dash and it worked beautifully. Thanks for the idea. Cheers. :beer:

manual_glow.jpg

Could someone please help me to locate this plug and wiring for the glow screen timer controller?

Anybody?? Its a 1989 JDM BJ74. I could really use some help here. What does the glow screen timer look like and where is it located??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom