Builds 100's Cousin (twice removed) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Being that I have never owned a LC I wouldn’t call it going back. The Sequoia is fine for now and it was a huge step up from my old Tundra, I’ve learned a lot and don’t regret getting it. There are a lot of reasons to go 100 but number one is that I plan for my wife and I to go down to one car. There’s a lot of factors that make that possible (even easy) for us to do so it just makes a lot of sense. A LC is built to last a long time and I plan to keep it a very, very long time. I see the 100 as the one car out there that can do absolutely everything that both my wife and I want and need a vehicle to do. I also like the 4th gen T4R (I actually prefer the size vs the 100) but the build quality just isn’t there and it’s not as comfortable on road trips.
I still see the Sequoia as the best bang for your buck Toyota 4x4 out there. If downsizing wasn’t an option for us I would definitely hang on to it.
Did I miss a post where you said you were selling?

Did I miss a post where you said you were selling?

On the previous page I mentioned that the Sequoia isn't going to stick around forever. It isn’t for sale yet and won’t be until I find the right LC. I’m going to be picky so it’s going to take me a while. I’ll keep tinkering with the Sequoia in the meantime, there’s a long list of minor fixes and upgrades to keep me occupied.

My mistake, I thought you had started in a hundy but was confusing you with another member, that's what I get for loading the most recent page of a build thread. I like what you've done with the truck, why not get a hundy in addition? It's not downsizing...it's...maintaining due course?

Thanks!
I’m at a point in my life where I want less overhead, more time and money to do other things than work on cars.

It’s been eactly one year and 9,922 miles. Aiming for 8,000 miles this year if it stays with me that long. It got a set of Weathertech’s mats for Christmas. Front to back. Nice upgrade.
731C6B26-2D8B-4A2B-B90B-0750D0F28E35.jpeg

I’ve got a few trips planned this year but no road trips planned yet, I need to fix that. I’m thinking about either southwestern Colorado to see my mom and aunt/uncle or Glacier NP. Both are tempting.

Water pump appears to have a slow leak... according to the dealer. I haven’t looked under there yet but I knew coolant was getting out of somewhere. They wanted to do that, timing belt and cam seals to the tune of $3,000:rofl: It’s not quite ready for a timing belt yet (16k more miles) but I can hear some pulley bearing noise that doesn’t sound classy. It would be nice to take care of all of that in one shot. So I should plan on doing that this summer...

Last edited:
3 G’s sounds steep, like almost double even with seals and idlers.

I’ve been tinkering away on this. I found out that the “water pump leak” that the dealer found was actually just the thermostat housing o-ring. Fixing that seemed like a good time to replace the tensioner/belt and clean the throttle body and MAF.
9763DFA2-0052-4615-A437-7EBF5817D52C.jpeg

I eventually learned that the tensioner is pretty buried.
042553D8-2854-420A-92CB-E5C27CCD0D0F.jpeg

I also learned that I was very much overdue for a radiator flush.
FA5FA1B3-13A8-4DBD-8B8A-B0670272875F.jpeg

But eventually I got it all back together, leak free and a lot quieter.
BC7884D7-2816-43BD-A79B-92C75AD69060.jpeg

I’m running distilled water and cleaner in it currently, planning on doing that a couple times before going back to proper coolant.

I also fixed the wobbily drivers side mirror, now the door sounds a million times better when it shuts! I also located the wire for the TPMS, tapped into it and grounded it out.
52BF7EB8-D371-45BF-9D1D-3B6873169DD6.jpeg

I had been running 80 series springs in the back for a couple months now. They gave me the slight lift that I was after but I felt as if they were too soft. The suspension took too long to recover after lane changes, etc. I blame this on the smaller wire diameter .600” vs the factory .650” of the Sequoia springs. So back in the factory springs went but with 20mm Nolathane spacers I found on Summit. The truck feels a lot better now, nice and planted like it should and maybe a tiny bit higher out back.

I’ve also officially begun the search for a 100 series so if anyone is interested in a well sorted out 2005 SR5 4x4 Sequoia, PM me.

My Sequoia only had two non stock modifications when I bought it: The Optima yellow top (still going strong) and this stupid BACKSTOPPER reverse beepy thing. I have no idea why I waited so long to rip this garbage out.
6D2EE790-6880-430B-B78D-7DD25E11E25B.jpeg

Out of curiosity why are you looking at 100s?
I like the 80s and 100s but my thinking is I already have the sequoia so at the end of the day by selling the sequoia and buying a 100 I’m really not gaining a ton after all the work.

Lots of reasons... Primarily because my wife and I are in a position to comfortably go down to one car. I can’t think of a better “one car to do it all” for us than a LC100. Also, it was built for a much longer service life than the Sequoia, much heavier duty parts all around. There’s other reasons, but those are the main points.

cool thread, i just bought a Tundra like the one you started the thread with. Interesting to see the similarities.
mine is a '00 has the 4.7 but doesn't say IFORCE on the cover like yours.
loved the bike pics. Where's the threads on the Bus build?

Nice thread. I stumbled across your original purchase thread at Sequoia-forums today -- I just picked up an 04 in the Seattle area this week. So I followed you here, read the whole thread, and now I'm following your LC thread. Good times and thanks for sharing so much info.

Reactions: GTV
January 10, 2019
Wiper upgrade!

Ok, I know it's been forever and the Sequoia is long gone, BUT I'm hoping you'll remember this -- were you happy to the end with the 24/26" wiper combo on the Sequoia? I have one 24" here and I find it possible (but sorta hard to believe) that a 26" will fit and run well throughout the winter with out occasionally hitting the window frame. Am I over thinking?

Ok, I know it's been forever and the Sequoia is long gone, BUT I'm hoping you'll remember this -- were you happy to the end with the 24/26" wiper combo on the Sequoia? I have one 24" here and I find it possible (but sorta hard to believe) that a 26" will fit and run well throughout the winter with out occasionally hitting the window frame. Am I over thinking?

It worked perfectly. 24" on the driver side and 26" on the passenger. The passenger side was super close to the A pillar but it didn't touch. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom