$100. Steering Rod!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It needs to be adjustable for alignment reasons... dur. :rolleyes:

Yes amateur welding, if your welding stearing components in un-natural ways then your sir are an amateur. I dont care how many rock sliders and bumpers you have made, thats booty fab.

If you dont understand how it works then should you REALY be welding it?

I would love to see a picture of this thing.
:clap:

alignment is mainly adjusted from the rod that goes from wheel to wheel. right?
the other arm (the one in question) mainly aligns or centers the steering wheel and mybe a bit of the box.

what are you concidering un-natural ways?

i know how it works.....DUH!

PICS.....when i'm done :D

Based on the following quotes, it seems that 2badfjs does not understand/believe that the drag link (that is the proper term) needs to be adjustable:

no adjustment, not needed as far as i'm concerned.

why does it need to be adjustable?

please tell me why it needs to be adjustable? this is the rod from the pitman arm.

alignment is mainly adjusted from the rod that goes from wheel to wheel. right?

Frankly, I expect a bit more understanding from a vendor that caters to the off-road community:rolleyes:

When the alignment of the front end is changed, by adjusting the length of the tie rod, the steering arm on the passenger knuckle moves either inward or outward. If the drag link is not lengthened or shortened an equal amount then you lose the "centering effect" of the steering box, and the box will then turn farther in one direction than the other. Granted, it may be a small amount, but the bottom line is that when you adjust the length of the tie rod, you should also adjust the length of the drag link to maintain proper geometry.

2bad

i like where your heads at, i have seen this before and seems to work for others, you know what your doing and im not concerened nor can i spell. i dont really think it needs to be adjusted, adjust it once the first time and your set i would think. wheres some pics i wanna see it.

i knew you would get alot of heat on this one

i did 2 :D

i totally respect EVERYONES opinion on this but really, once you have the rig aligned and unless you really jack up the alignment, it doesn't take much at all to bring back in spec.
even when you only use a tape measure or a string (that's how i do my alignments how bout you)

Q: Frankly, I expect a bit more understanding from a vendor that caters to the off-road community

i don't think being a vendor has anything to do with this.
i would not do it this way if i was doing this for someone else if this is what you are implying.

i've done my research (away from this forum) and have had many opinions from that differ from what a couple of you are saying is wrong.

so who is in the right? :hmm::hmm:

everyone has thier opinion right?
everyone does thier own thing right?

can't please everyone i guess.

I mean if its properly welded, whats the difference between this and the threaded inserts when considering safety and ability to handle the forces. I understand the issue of not having adjustment, but why is it so unsafe to have it welded?

The threaded rod inserts are mild steel and they are engineered to be welded.

I doubt that tie rods ends are made of mild steel because of the wear they are subject to. I really don't know what they are made out of, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were heat treated carbon alloy. Carbon alloys can be hard to weld properly and can end up brittle after welding.

i did 2 :D

i totally respect EVERYONES opinion on this but really, once you have the rig aligned and unless you really jack up the alignment, it doesn't take much at all to bring back in spec.
even when you only use a tape measure or a string (that's how i do my alignments how bout you)

Q: Frankly, I expect a bit more understanding from a vendor that caters to the off-road community

i don't think being a vendor has anything to do with this.
i would not do it this way if i was doing this for someone else if this is what you are implying.

i've done my research (away from this forum) and have had many opinions from that differ from what a couple of you are saying is wrong.

so who is in the right? :hmm::hmm:

everyone has thier opinion right?
everyone does thier own thing right?

can't please everyone i guess.

2badfjs

I'm no expert on this subject but I'll give you some respect for keeping your head on strait while taking a beating!:flipoff2:

I doubt that tie rods ends are made of mild steel because of the wear they are subject to. I really don't know what they are made out of, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were heat treated carbon alloy. Carbon alloys can be hard to weld properly and can end up brittle after welding.

everyone i talked to (except here:confused:) has told me that the TRE will bend first instead of being brittle. EVERYONE!

i will take the bend effect :cheers:

i'll ask one more place that i'm delivering steel 2.
they build everything for the "DONKEY" fork lifts.

2badfjs

I'm no expert on this subject but I'll give you some respect for keeping your head on strait while taking a beating!:flipoff2:

i'm not going to get pissed at anyone, they have every right to an opinion.

that's not me.

Alright. If that is in fact the case then I can understand a possible safety issue with welding the TRE.

Bingo! The tie rod ends are heat treated to achive certain hardness and ductility. This is because tie rod ends are subject to extreme stress and failure can have FATAL consequences.

If you weld hardened critical assemblies and don't return them to their designed hardness and ductility, you are risking catastophic failure.

Try talking to a metalurgical engineer or a truly expert welder - like one certified to weld in power plants and nuclear facilities. There is more to welding hardened steel than getting two pieces to stick together and look pretty.

Give a little thought to the potential consequences - how do you know that the TRE's haven't been compromised to the point of being unsafe? I've never heard of anyone dying because their slider or bumper broke. Steering and brakes are not places to take chances.

Amateur welding on something that can get you (and other people) killed - not real smart. :bang:

Last edited:
B

If you weld hardened critical assemblies and don't return them to their designed hardness and ductility, you are risking catastophic failure.
Give a little thought to the potential consequences - how do you know that the TRE's haven't been compromised to the point of being unsafe? I've never heard of anyone dying because their slider or bumper broke. Steering and brakes are not places to take chances.

Amateur welding on something that can get you (and other people) killed - not real smart. :bang:

Threads are an engineered fastening system, welding to a cast tie rod end isnt. There are too many variables, especaily in a wheeling , offroad use scituation. It will fail in the worst of scituations. What happens when your oversized tire slams into a rock pushing the inner luggs into your elcheep-o thin drag link, bending it on the trail?

I suppose youll find nothing wrong with this stearing system either:rolleyes:
eBay Motors: Toyota : Land Cruiser (item 120237249027 end time Mar-30-08 14:35:27 PDT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom