100 Series - Paris Dakar mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 100 series won the production class 8 out of 9 years it competed. It is almost like Toyota had this in mind when designing the 100 series. Maybe, maybe not so the technical question is this.

Where would one acquire a list of mods that were done to the Auto Body 100 series? It would be great to see piece by piece what was changed out and what parts they used to upgrade the 100.

Example - Tires - 235/85 r 16 BFG MTs (or whatever)
Interior - Stripped and roll cage installed
Seats - Sparco "Win the Dakar Again" model

Anyone have connections as Auto Body or can speak/read Japanese?

Translated version of http://www.toyota-body.co.jp/dakar/index.html

Thanks,

uzj100

Almost 14 years later... I would like to see the same! I've seen photo's of some bits, but no logos on shocks/etc, and no detailed parts lists. Maybe someone else has?

Gazoo Racing/Dakar

Gazoo Racing/Dakar
I did see this: Team Information | Team Land Cruiser [Toyota Auto Body] - https://www.toyota-body.co.jp/dakar/en/season2023/team/machine.html

I'd love to see notes from a the 100 series that they used to run, but even for the 300 series they're about to run they're not specific about the shocks and suspension they use. Unless BOS is a parts manufacturer? I don't recognize that acronym. They just say "Exclusive rally part."

I'm just curious. I'm not prepping for Dakar unfortunately.

Bryan

Base model code:FJA300L
Engine code:F33A-FTV
Total displacement:3,345cc
Overall length/width/height:4,965mm / 1,990mm / 1,975mm
Maximum output:≥ 253kw (≥344ps)
Maximum torque:≥ 815 N⋅m
Steering:Rack and pinion
Front suspension:Double wishbone independent coil springs (BOS)
Rear suspension:Trailing-link with coil springs (BOS)
Shock absorbers:Exclusive rally part (BOS)
Brakes:Front/rear ventilated disc (only brake pads made by Endless)
Transmission:Direct Shift-10AT (electronically controlled 10-speed automatic transmission)*1
Tire size:285/70R17 (OPEN COUNTRY M/T-R by TOYO TIRES)*2
Wheels:Forged magnesium 17-inch x 7.5J (ENKEI)
Drivetrain:Four wheel drive (full-time 4WD)
Main equipment:Electronic locking differential (front/center/rear)
E-KDSS*3

I’d settle for just a little (US) TV coverage of the Dakar Rally stock class.

Pictures posted last year:

This would be amazing. And the Baja 500.

I’ve been watching the limited Dakar Rally TV coverage since the mid-1980s. As much as I’d like to see more stock class coverage, I’m not going to hold my breath.

Maybe I’ll have to make a (blasphemous) pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia, after my retirement, just to see a little of the stock and/or vintage classes. 🤔

Last edited:
Kurt of Cruiser Outfitters has been part of a crew running a 200 series rally effort in Baja and I believe Dakar as well.

Kurt of Cruiser Outfitters has been part of a crew running a 200 series rally effort in Baja and I believe Dakar as well.

I've driven, co-driven and supported a variety of different races and rock-crawls in Toyotas including our Baja 1000 Class win two weeks ago in the Canguro 200 Series (more on that here). However I've only been a spectator at the Dakar races I've attended.

Naturally we spent a great deal of time in Toyota race vehicle spaces within the Bivouac's and checked out a variety of Land Cruiser race vehicles including the 100 Series. Check the link posted earlier in this thread for some of the pics I snapped of the 100.

20220109_161221.jpg

Re

1670115336340.jpeg

I have so many questions -

I definitely won’t have all the answers but may have a few?
Wondering how much OEM stock powertrain, suspension & axle components remain on the race truck

Stock UCA & LCA’s?
Stock CVs or extended?
Stock 9.5” rear axle and housing?
What gearing?
Enhanced engine cooling ?
Bypass shocks- eibach -KYB whose are they?

And the Jedi trick to get the truck 3 feet in the air- The jack stands- what’s the process to lift the truck to that height?

Wondering how much OEM stock powertrain, suspension & axle components remain on the race truck

Stock UCA & LCA’s?
Stock CVs or extended?
Stock 9.5” rear axle and housing?
What gearing?
Enhanced engine cooling ?
Bypass shocks- eibach -KYB whose are they?

And the Jedi trick to get the truck 3 feet in the air- The jack stands- what’s the process to lift the truck to that height?

Off the top of my head. Yes, stock UCA/LCA, CV and rear axle. Unknown on gearing, I'd assume 4.10/4.30. Cooling looked stock (factory diesel, not 2UZFE). Shocks were a custom build.

Lifting... with a tall floor jack.

Screenshot_20221205_204245.jpg

Spacers! *Gasp*

Ha.

Total non-issue imo. A quality spacer with quality spacer won't present an issue. We run spacers on the Canguro 200, zero issues in 25k racing miles. About 2/3 our chase vehicles run front spacers, again zero issues.

Ha.

Total non-issue imo. A quality spacer with quality spacer won't present an issue. We run spacers on the Canguro 200, zero issues in 25k racing miles. About 2/3 our chase vehicles run front spacers, again zero issues.
What’s the point of spacers on your chase trucks? I thought it was purely cosmetic or to allow bigger tires to turn?

What’s the point of spacers on your chase trucks? I thought it was purely cosmetic or to allow bigger tires to turn?

Correcting the track and clearance post-lift on IFS vehicles (200's) is very common.

Off the top of my head. Yes, stock UCA/LCA, CV and rear axle. Unknown on gearing, I'd assume 4.10/4.30. Cooling looked stock (factory diesel, not 2UZFE). Shocks were a custom build.

Lifting... with a tall floor jack.

View attachment 3186274
Awesome- thanks Kurt

Looks like the frame has been reinforced right above the rear axle- other than some tools and spare tire set in the cargo space- not a ton of weight back there-(?) is that spot on the frame a weak/fail point that presents issues resulting from dessert racing ?

Awesome- thanks Kurt

Looks like the frame has been reinforced right above the rear axle- other than some tools and spare tire set in the cargo space- not a ton of weight back there-(?) is that spot on the frame a weak/fail point that presents issues resulting from dessert racing ?

I see what you‘re looking at but I’m not sure what’s going on there. I’ll look through my pics and see if there are any hints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom