100 series odemeter switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all new to IH8MUD so don't know how to search properly, Im from NZ so for diesel owners we pay for how much distance we drive which is a real pain, unsure if that's the same any where else But does anyone know how I would go abouts installing a switch to flick the odemeter counter on and off on command ?? My 100 series is a 2000 model.

Hey all new to IH8MUD so don't know how to search properly, Im from NZ so for diesel owners we pay for how much distance we drive which is a real pain, unsure if that's the same any where else But does anyone know how I would go abouts installing a switch to flick the odemeter counter on and off on command ?? My 100 series is a 2000 model.
I don't know about a switch. It would probably be fairly easy. The odo info is stored on an eeprom in the cluster. You could remove the eeprom qnd install a DIP socket so the chip can be easily removed. Then it would be pretty easy to pull it out and program whatever distance you want.

I don't know about a switch. It would probably be fairly easy. The odo info is stored on an eeprom in the cluster. You could remove the eeprom qnd install a DIP socket so the chip can be easily removed. Then it would be pretty easy to pull it out and program whatever distance you want.
Will check that out thankyou so much.

What's the point of this? To make it look like you drove less per year? Why not just slap some 38s on there and then the odometer will show about 20% less miles traveled.

I'm so conflicted! My first thought.."This is probably illegal". My second thought "this is a crazy overreach from the NZ government, we must help our Cruiserhead brother". My third thought (@shtbrwn86 beat me to it): "Just run bigger tires" (which I think might also be illegal in NZ or at least regulated, IIRC).

I don't have the technical expertise to recommend a solution but I'm rooting for you in this era of draconian governments we find ourselves in.

Given the gaining popularity of electric vehicles, I think we are going to see this in the US. Gas tax often funds roads. EV's don't pay gas tax. In some States, EV's pay an additional charge on their registration to "make up for gas tax." But it's not directly metered on usage or miles driven per year.

On the plus side, the Land Cruiser enthusiast that gets 12 mpg would probably come out ahead as they currently pay a disproportionate amount due to their poor fuel mileage.

If so, I'm sure there will be a lot more vehicles with tampered odometers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom