100 Series Electrical issue- not batter or alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should be able to take a VOM while vehicle is running to get a voltage reading at battery. Should give you some idea of what the alternator is putting out.
I did and it their was none from the alternator. So it's either wire or the alternator itself. Just don't know how to read continuity from the battery to the alternator to rule our replacing the alternator harness wire. Thanks for your help

Disconnect Alternator cable and battery + cable. Take your VOM and test continuity leads should be long enough to make that happen. Definitely sounding like bad connection or bad cable. Have you followed the alternator cable from beginning to end? Checked all the connections for corrosion good connection etc?

Thanks for the response! The pl
Disconnect Alternator cable and battery + cable. Take your VOM and test continuity leads should be long enough to make that happen. Definitely sounding like bad connection or bad cable. Have you followed the alternator cable from beginning to end? Checked all the connections for corrosion good
connection at the alternator
Disconnect Alternator cable and battery + cable. Take your VOM and test continuity leads should be long enough to make that happen. Definitely sounding like bad connection or bad cable. Have you followed the alternator cable from beginning to end? Checked all the connections for corrosion good connection etc?
No corrosion at either end. The connect at the alternator (the plastic clip) broke apart when I took out the alternator originally. I replaced it and out the alternator back in but still the same issues. Checked the cable from the battery to the alternator but didnt do a deep dive as the wire is covered by the corregated wire loom. Was hoping the alternator connection was just loose but it's not it. Will check the wire continuity next. Thanks!

Before you do any testing, disconnect the battery ground wire.
The B+ thick wire from the alternator goes into the 100 A fuse located right on the positive terminal.
First check the continuity between the B+ post on alternator and battery + terminal. If it is broken, then you have to inspect the fuse: It is not simple pull design, use 8 and 10 mm wrenches to loosen the fuse from the fuse block. If it is blown, you probably grounded the B+ terminal during your initial alternator removal (hence it is important to disconnect the Battery ground before you do any electrical work)

Before you do any testing, disconnect the battery ground wire.
The B+ thick wire from the alternator goes into the 100 A fuse located right on the positive terminal.
First check the continuity between the B+ post on alternator and battery + terminal. If it is broken, then you have to inspect the fuse: It is not simple pull design, use 8 and 10 mm wrenches to loosen the fuse from the fuse block. If it is blown, you probably grounded the B+ terminal during your initial alternator removal (hence it is important to disconnect the Battery ground before you do any electrical work)
Thanks for the info! I replaced that 100amp fuse already and completely disconnected battery when I removed the alternator. Was hoping it was that 100am fuse.....but I'm not that lucky. Haha. Thanks

This is doing my head in and I imagine being stuck in a remote place. I would try taking the main cable from the alternator directly to the battery or try charging the battery from a solar panel to get me home

This is doing my head in and I imagine being stuck in a remote place. I would try taking the main cable from the alternator directly to the battery or try charging the battery from a solar panel to get me home
Thanks! I have the LC at home. So fortunately not stuck anywhere. Ironically it starts right up. But eventually it stalls, once the battery drains when it gets too low

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom