100 Series Drawer Build (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since things have slowed down at work I've had some time to hammer out a drawer system. I've taken a lot of inspiration from different builds on here... this thread in particular:

My goals are:
1: Sleeping platform
2: Functional cargo space
3: Look decent
4. Be sturdy

I decided to go with two identical drawers, a hatch accessible by the rear seats, and wings that can lift out for easier access to storage. Going with the stout method, I used 3/4 birch plywood for the entirety. It's not light.

Initial assembly:

My measurements were 40Lx42.5WX11.5H.

IMG-7009.JPG

60598471821--FC6237AA-3540-418E-AFC7-A97B107496F3.JPG

Last edited:
Second step was drawers. Again, they are 3/4 birch. Heavy enough for the gold bars I am going to store in there. I wanted the interior length of the drawers after assembly to be 24 inches. I got 4 beefy 24 inch sliders from an overstock/damaged packaging store for 1$. One set is TCH, one set is Accuride.

60645468775--9DD459E1-CB95-4776-9470-9D65FFDF29D4.JPG

IMG-7010.JPG

Last edited:
For the rear hatch I wanted the panels to lift out. I got some strong magnets and inlaid them to the box and the lids using epoxy. There are six magnets total in each lid. It's plenty strong. No sliding around. Fully accessible hatch.

I wanted the hatch to have some length to it to fit longer items. I will likely throw our mattress pad/bedding in there so there will be no need to get access to it when you are set up to sleep

IMG-7075.JPG

I also made the box a bit higher than some of the other ones I have seen. I plan to elevate the middle row of seats somehow to make it as flat of a sleeping surface as it can be.

60701842928--5D1E0766-28C1-483D-A4E7-9238975170D5.JPG

IMG-7074.JPG

Last edited:
Onto the wings. I was conflicted on this... Whether to do hinges or lift out magnets like the hatch lids. Ultimately I think I will do lift out again for easy access to storage.

On one side I split the pieces into two, kept it one solid piece on the other. Not for any reason... I just wasn't sure what I would like more.

Cut them with a jigsaw and finished them on a spindle sander.

IMG-7098.JPG

IMG-7099.JPG

Great job. Like the draw out table.

Got a start on the front face. Next step is drawer fronts.

2 things I've been trying to decide are which latches to use and what to finish it with. I am leaning towards some sort of bedliner.

IMG-7116.JPG

IMG-7114.JPG

IMG-7115.JPG

Turnbuckles to D-rings, I was going to use U-bolts to the 3rd row set mounts and still might. But this got the job done for now.
IMG-7117.JPG

Yeah, the latch is great and the setup is pretty straight forward.

For the third row seat mount, if you do it. I would just use J bolts instead of U bolts.

Nice build! Do you have more information about the latches? Mine is a home build from the prior owner and I'm not happy with the latch setup.

Thanks!

View attachment 2260[/QUOTE]
Nice build! Do you have more information about the latches? Mine is a home build from the prior owner and I'm not happy with the latch setup.

Thanks!

What I purchased is a southco brand knock-off. $50 for the pair... they feel pretty substantive.

A lot of people seem to like these:
They seem really sweet. But just a little pricier.

Looks great, I dig the magnets.

These are the best latches you can get... compression so they will suck the drawers tight and prevent rattles. I use these on all the drawers I build.

I did a really similar build, I really like the magnets you used.

View attachment 2260798

This is phenomenal....I will probably go just about this route but will fully box in the fridge slide and leave the drawer half for a sleeper.

OP Great work as well.

I did a really similar build, I really like the magnets you used.

View attachment 2260798

That is an AWESOME setup! Curious what "carpet" you used. Also, looks like you could drop in a "dummy" panel over the fridge cavity for a completely flat surface when the fridge isn't in the rig. Is that correct?

This is phenomenal....I will probably go just about this route but will fully box in the fridge slide and leave the drawer half for a sleeper.

OP Great work as well.

I've got the CAD files and cutlist for my drawers if you want it! Built three off the design so far... and you know what I'm about to say.....

come visit and we can build 'em!

Let’s see a pic of your drawers!

You wanna see my underwear!? :rofl:
Here's the drawing for the frame, I am not sure I ever made one for the drawers, but I will put in on my list of stuff to do. These are currently in mine, @CruiseLanderAZ and @ncavi10 cruisers.
1586194702630.png

I can get some more pics later today. The sleeping "platform" that extends over the second row is now help on with a french cleat and some compression clamps.
1586194947859.png

These I made about 6 years ago I think, with a circular saw, a big ruler, and a lot of frustration. Running with a table saw and a kreg jig these days and stuff looks a lot cleaner.

@geanes I have had a lot of good luck with the cheap-o carpet from lowes and it matches the tan interior pretty well. @CruiseLanderAZ do you have any pictures of yours? I can't find them on my computer.

That is an AWESOME setup! Curious what "carpet" you used. Also, looks like you could drop in a "dummy" panel over the fridge cavity for a completely flat surface when the fridge isn't in the rig. Is that correct?

I took the design off of someone on here maybe ntsaint.

The carpet is speaker box carpet, probably not the most durable but it is cheap and easy to work with.

I did make a dummy panel to place over the slide when the fridge is not there.

20190203_152901.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom