CV Axle replaced - now leaking (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have it all back together and theres a small gap between the cv and the housing that is pissing out oil.

How far do I need do dismantle it to fix this? If I take the snap wring and the flange off and then bash it with a hammer and a block of wood will that get it in or do I need to pull it right out and start again?

God damn it :(

I have it all back together and theres a small gap between the cv and the housing that is pissing out oil.

How far do I need do dismantle it to fix this? If I take the snap wring and the flange off and then bash it with a hammer and a block of wood will that get it in or do I need to pull it right out and start again?

God damn it :(
you might have damaged the seal where the spline goes into diff housing there is a gap between the cv end and the diff

you will need to remove the cv axle and the seal to the diff tube. if the seal is damaged you'll need to replace it, they are cheap enough it's just a lot of work to replace that seal and start over. some people may flame me for sharing this, but it worked for me. I used a thin schmeer of black rtv to hold seal in place once I was certain it was in the correct position. I did this not so much to seal it, but to hold it in place if I bumped it with the splined end of the axle upon install so it would not move out of position. Before installing seal double check that the i.d. of diff tube is clean and free of any debris

First, check that the axle is fully seated in the diff housing. I would bet, though, the seal in the housing has likely has been damaged. It will need to be replaced. If you a very careful, you can leaving axle in the steering knuckle and disconnect upper ball joint (and brake caliber, shock, tie rod end, etc) and move knuckle out of the way, barely. It is very hard to get the axle back in this way, but it can be done. Frankly, I would completely dissamble again, the extra room minimizes damaging the seal again.

Non-Toyota seals bend easily when driving in. Did you use Toyota seals?

All sorted

I used all genuine parts. Problem was I'd hammered the seal into the diff housing too far. I pulled it out and re-set it and it seems to be doing its job perfectly.

New axel flange + new CV = no clunk! Woo hoo!

I use to think that technique was better than tools, but those stepped seal drivers are the cat's whiskers! Totally foolproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom