Builds Project: Colonel 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.oregongrain.com
I'm going to document the build up of our 1979 FJ40 into a trail rig that still maintains the stock look and feel to some degree. The completion date for this project is July 14th. I need to have it done so I can go on a weekend wheeling trip with the local Seattle Cruiserheads. I started a list here and will ad to it as I'm working on the rig.

Reason for choosing a 1979 FJ40
- Fine Spline
- 22 gallon tank under vehicle
- Lower seats for us tall folks
- Bolt on OEM power steering
-

THE VEHICLE

Nickname: Colonel Mustard
04/1979 FJ40
Desmogged 2F
Stock Transmission
Stock Transfer Case
3.73 Gearing
Disc Front
Drum Rear
Manual Steering

THE PLAN

engine
Non USA carburetor (complete)
Non USA distributor
Tune Up
Dual batteries (complete)
Re-route exhaust

suspension
SOA front
Crossover steering
4 link rear coil
Rear discs (complete)
FJ80 master cylinder (complete)
OEM power steering(complete)
Rebuild center arm
Front Toyota E-locker (complete)
Rear aussie locker (complete)
4.88 gears

armor
Metal Tech family cage (complete)
HFS winch bumper (complete)
Rear bumper w/tire carrier

accessories
Warn 8375 (complete)
In cab winch controls (complete)
Seat belts(complete)
Tuffy console(complete)
Radio(complete)
Speakers (complete)
CB (complete)
CB antenna (complete)
Rear tailgate (complete)
Air compressor
Air tank

Last edited:
Starting with the rear discs and locker. Loosened all the 14mm bolts and popped the cover to drain the fluid. Installed an aussie locker in the rear. The C clip is a pain in the arse, but you can use a popsicle stick or a large paper clip to help you. Remember to take your time and have lots of rags handy. I used a small screwdriver to compress the springs as I installed them.

Photo of the spider gears. The red stuff is grease to hold everyting together
locker.jpg

Here it is fully installed.
lockerdone.jpg

Installed an Non-ABS 80 series master cylinder. I had to remove the proportioning valve and cut and flare the existing lines. I may have to plumb an adjustable proportioning valve to compensate for the rears. We shall see once the larger tires, cage, and armor are on the vehicle.

80master.jpg

Removed the axles during the locker install. Pulled of the nasty rear drums and backing plates. There was a nasty mix of brake fluid and gear oil. Replaced the axle seal and attached the bracket facing towards the front of the vehicle

Nasty
rearbrakes.jpg

much better
brakebracket.jpg

bull said:
Installed an Non-ABS 80 series master cylinder. I had to remove the proportioning valve and cut and flare the existing lines. I may have to plumb an adjustable proportioning valve to compensate for the rears. We shall see once the larger tires, cage, and armor are on the vehicle.

80master.jpg

so what is the advantage of the 80 master other than a 40 hydraulic one?

The stock master cylinder was designed for disc front and drum rear brakes. When you convert to 4 wheel disc you want a master with a larger bore to push more volume of fluid to the caliper pistons. There are other alternatives but I chose this path. Some may argue it isn't needed, but I wanted to eliminate any doubt in the system. I have had cruiserheads that switched to 4 wheel disc using the stock master cylinder with no issues...and some that had major issues until they swapped the master. Clear as mud?

sounds like a pretty ambitious plan! looking forward to seeing the progression and the finished product.

Good luck

bull said:
overkill rotors and monte carlo brakes. It is what the kit came with...

reardisc.jpg

Your going to hate those rotors.

The holes will fill with mud and rocks. Same things for the groves. Slotted and drilled rotors should only be used on road only. Unless your going for a rock climber only.

Did you put in the locker before installing the 4.88 gears?

Can OEM power steering work with a spring over?

Oem power steering can work with a spring over, but I don't think you will be too impressed running over sized tires. The oem power steering just doesn't handle heavy meats that well. I had factory power steering and I ended up changing to saginaw.

BULL, Nice......:D I look forward to seeing more pic's ...

GOOD LUCK AND CHEERS ... :beer:

Hey Bull, cruiser looks nice! So your up in Sammamish? I remember when it was still Redmond (or the Plauteau), I'm an EHS grad....1999! Anyway, not to hijack the thread, but when is the next cruiser head meeting? I bought mine a few weeks ago and would like to check it out, I live over in the Green Lake area in Seattle. I heard the meetings or over in Phinney Ridge?

Here is the engine bay while I installed the OEM Power steering. I had to remove the radiator to put in the OEM cooler lines.

mess.jpg

Cooler lines attached to the frame and run under the radiator
cooler.jpg

Bull, sound like a sweet build up, you're doing a lot of modifications to your 79 that I'll eventually get around to; I look forward to seeing the finished Cruiser.

hey bull are you thinking about taking it up to cruiser days this summer ? i would love to check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom