Is there any way to put diamondplate around the rear quarters without promoting rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just like the title says, is there any way to put diamondplate around the rear quarters without promoting rust? I really like the way it looks but I don't want to promote rust in an already rust-prone section of the rig.

preventive maintenance. remove all rust. apply rust inhibitor, primer, paint, sacrafice chicken, apply diamond plate.

ps. put down the diamond plate and step away! Diamond plate isn't the answer.

joey93turbo said:
Just like the title says, is there any way to put diamondplate around the rear quarters without promoting rust?

NO!

Have you read this thread?

Here's what you get.

attachment.php

and

attachment.php

and

attachment.php

Those were off my 73. It's just not good man. You could prevent it for a while but it'll come back and bite ya.

sure there is,
make sure everything is clean and dry.wax it up.silicone seal the edge of the d/p.
that will keep the moisture out.
been there,done that.....no problems..

Live in the desert..

I wouldn't do it but if I were I think 2badfjs has it right. You've got to eliminate all moisture from every nearby seam, bolt hole, crack, or whatever. Then seal up the area to be covered with a thick coat of paste waw. The usual 'one step to a beautiful shine' bull**** waxes won't work. Don't wipe or rub the wax off, put on the plate sealing it all around with silicone caulk or something like it.

Rust is the most insideous malady! It'll come seemingly out of nowhere and eat up all the hidden places before you even know it's there.

i coated the corners with undercoating, then, before that dried, i applied alumn from the local scrap yard (hell of a lot thicker than the crap that specter sells...also a bitch to bend). afterwards, run a bead of silicone on both sides and the top. leave the bottom open in case anything does get in there, it can get out.

The P/O of my rig took a unique approach to the diamond plate install. It appeared he used some form of epoxy/sealant ( looks like the sikaflex that Aqualu supplies with their tubs) and spread it heavily and completely over the steel panel, completely covering it, then put the plate over that. the sealant that squished out was neatly trimmed away. This of course didn't help the floorboards, and My rig now has a new tub. So far reading this, if you insist on aluminul diamond plate, I like the previously mentioned idea of taking the steel completely off from the tub rail/lip down, and attatch diamond plate there.

Before you install you need to coat the inside surface of the diamond plate w/ a protective coating to eliminate electrolysis with the steel tub. I used the spray-on bed liner. There probably are other coatings that will work as well. Definately don't put the alum. directly on the steel without protective coating between.

Diamond plate is to Cover Up rot holes -- Not Prevent It. If you don't already have rot, why bother with the diamond plate?? It doesn't protect and it will lower the value of your cruiser because people will assume there are big rot holes hiding underneath.

Last edited:
MDH33 said:
Diamond plate is to Cover Up rot holes -- Not Prevent It. If you don't already have rot, why bother with the diamond plate?? It doesn't protect and it will lower the value of your cruiser because people will assume there are big rot holes hiding underneath.

Steel diamond plate is very effective at preventing rock rash. You obviously are not very knowledgeable on this subject. :doh:

MDH33 said:

I had aluminum diamond plate on my junk for years. I don't have any rust at all and no galvanic corrosion either. Of course, I keep my junk in the garage. I could care less about, "lowering the value" since my junk is nowhere near stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom