1975 FJ43 Resto/Mod Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy a Silver Star. (like the one to the left of my user name) It's $25 per year and will allow you to post many more pictures...

Also like the one in your Avatar Garth? GO TEXAS!

Also, Are things looking a little better in Egypt this week? I hope the Violence has subsided.

Roll-Cage underway

Hello my TLC friends,

I finally began working on the Roll-Cage and it almost finished. Add to the that the Roof-rack mounts which will go through the soft-top. The man behind all the metal-works done lately is El Maestro, Taher El Hadidi
This great man, has built an amazing number of roll-cages over the years, including many many rally cars which entered the Pharaons rally and even Dakar, since 1983! He even built a roll cage for Jacky Ickx's Lada Niva in the late 80's !!
God bless you Taher

I couldnt upload any more photos, so here is a link for some updates on my album on Flickr.
1975 Toyota Landcruiser FJ43 - a set on Flickr

Will add some more photos soon.

Roll- Cage is now black

The roll-cage has been sprayed, Black. Painting the Bezel, white and modifying the plate that cover the gas tank connections as to make way for the middle roll-cage pillar.

As Ragab & sons took out all the door installations, today I picked up both his sons, to finish up both doors, with a couple of new exterior Taiwanese handles, 2 OMP window handles, 1 Taiwanese drivers door locking mechanism. After-market weather strips and window cushioned rails. Both doors are almost ready, missing the door panels and some new rubber for the small triangle tilt windows.

I thought about using the famous looking (Riveted Aluminum) sheets to make door panels but a couple of friends told me I will suffer from the heat!!
Should I, or should I not use trimmed aluminum sheets as doors panels ?

Now to order those twist locks and eyelets from that sailing company in Mississippi.

Last edited:
Thanks R083RT
Thanks Chugging Along

After research regarding the materials to use to make the soft top. I have come up with an interesting sandwich idea.
Thanks to Alaa Barakat from B & G Shipping in Alexandria, another cruiser owner and friend. Alaa spotted me a nice German open container cover (40 Foot) which is made of very tough canvas with a threaded silk net sandwiched within.
My plan is to use this as a middle layer in my soft-top.
The outer and inner layers will be a special kind of Linen thats used for Egyptian traditional Nile Sail Boats "Feluka" (This special kind of linen is soaked in grease and left to dry in the sun, making it almost impermeable)
Its said that the army uses that same linen to burry and store ammo or supplies in the middle of the desert for years!!

Cool..

It's a beauty

An amazing project and the guys restoring the car they have done a great job it's a beauty ; )

I was looking around for an FJ 45 or a 47 like the white one you showed and was wondering about the price range that they should be around i mean how much was asked for that white troopy ??

check this pickup not registered, asking 30,000 i think this is too much
IMG-20120420-00082.jpg
IMG-20120420-00083.jpg

If you are saying 30,000 EGP, then that would convert to around $4,900 USD.

Nice job on the 43 so far...

Hi Im just a newby, browsing through your threads. your fotos brings back so much of fond memories of the hard work i put it to restore my troopy. thanks for sharing... you have given me some inspiration to publish all my photos of my build on my 1983 TLC BJ45 Troopy.
Cheers & hope to see more of your build.

White 45 Pick-up

Hello Saluki, thanks for sharing the 45 phtos, I think I know that car, as I thought of buying it about 4 years ago :) That is, if this is the FJ45 in the Esso Gas station on the Auto-Strad close to Maadi. The owner said he bought it in an auction, and that it came from Saudi Arabia as is. If you are looking for a 45 troopie or pick-up, check out Baharia Oasis, in the Western desert. Im sure you will find something of interest there.

Thank you LSD Full-Float, Im taking it slowly, but surely. Glad you found some inspiration in my humble 43 thread.

Last edited:
OEM Parts arrived

Atlast, the OEM Twist Locks and Eye-lets have arrived. As well as a new OEM Ignition Cyl. with 2 keys.
Will begin working on the soft top and upholstery soon.
Thanks to Yasser El Gammal in New Jersey who ordered the parts from Specter Offroad, and thanks to Dr. Sherif for picking them up on his way back to Cairo.
:) :)

40 Spotted in Cairo

Cairo 40R.jpg

I saw this one parked in front of the Mc Donalds near the Concorde El Salam, Cairo. I'm not sure if it still ran. It didn't move for the week that I was there. Your resto looks great congrats on a great find and keep the updates coming.
Cairo 40R.jpg

Riveted Aluminum door panels

Hiya Turbo,
Looking forward to more pics of your 43. Concerning your comment on whether or not to use the riveted aluminium door panels...or not. Your friends are right, you will suffer from the heat. I added them to my Cruiser a couple of months ago (Just after the EL-Gouna Rally) and they looked really good, but the noise and heat coming through the door panels was unbearable. So, I cut the panels down to only cover the lower 1/3 of the door and backed them with insulation. So the doors still look "serious off-road" for appearances and the insulation helps reduce noise and heat. FYI, in my rig I cannot fully insulate the doors due to having power windows, locks, electrical harnesses, etc. So doing the lower one-third of the door was a decent trade-off.

Door Panels and progress

Thank you Shipwreckz for your advice, I am going for normal original like looking door panels, with 2 tiny pockets for light stuff. Also going for some door insulation but nothing special.

The 43 is currently at the Soft-top & Upholstery maker, Old school "Wasef" is doing a great Job, His father was the founder of the work-shop and now his Son "Mourad" is picking up the skills and talents. Thanks to Tarek Barakat & the rest of the Barakat family for getting me the proper window vinyl miaterials from the UK, which are now sewn in and have been made into lovely windows.

We also remade the bench beside the driver from scratch, Its now 12 cm shorter than the original making way for a small consul box, and my driver's seat which is from a 2001 Alfa Romeo 156, both seat and bench will be covered in an intersting pale greyish purple, that I find suitable, as its already looks sun bleached when new :)

An ironic moment that I recall, was meeting a brand new FJ Cruiser at Wasef's workshop getting some upholstery changes done the day I took my 43 to the workshop to have the interior and soft-top made. FJs unite.

More photos and of the Eye Lets and Ign. Cylin. soon. Sorry rO83rt for keeping you waiting.

Keep up the great work Wasef and God Bless.
Photo0303.jpg
Photo0209.jpg
Photo0214.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom