1975 FJ43 Resto/Mod Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.vintagewheelsegypt.com
1975 FJ43 Resto/Mod Build Project

Hello 40's,
I bought my 43 earlier this year, after a long search that almost took 2 years. Thanks to Mohamed Hazem, a dear cruiser owner and friend, who gave me the leads to this 43. I Began work on it right away. Started with the mechanical, and changed lots of parts as the car hasn’t moved in 8 years!! Finished my mechanical work, and now its at the body shop. Bought alot of parts new, OEM parts are found here at a local shop who has been dealing in original and non orig. TLC parts for over 30 years.

Photos of the 43 when I bought it
A.jpg
B.jpg

Last edited:
Tawfik & Co. Toyota Landcruiser Parts

This Shop is in Down Town Cairo, and has been famous all over N/E Africa!! I met a Sudanese buying parts for his FJ40 in Khartoum, and once met some Libyans from the Army, buying parts for there desert patrol units. Ibrahim Tawfik the owner of the shop has been supplying the market for the past 30 years, his son Amir is daily in shop, and all you have to do is give him your chassis number and he will give you all part numbers needed, so even if he doesnt have the part on the shelf he can simply order it. I bought quite a few original Toyota parts for my 43 from here, some were mechanical bits that I was astonished to find brand new!!
1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg

The Body/Paint Shop

El Yassergi workshops have been banging, straitening and painting cars for the past 25 years. Good friends aswell are the sons of Yehia El Yassergi. Sherif the older son works with his own hands on the cars, that includes his sweet Lancia Delta Integrale.

In shot is Ashraf, the man who worked on the whole body.
IMG_1607.jpg
IMG_1612.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg

burning off paint....wow thats old school...cool

they look good at it...i dont think there is anybody here who would do that here in the USA these days

their rolling a new front fender....they kept the inner fender right? and are just replacing the outer skin?

edit...i looked better at previous pics ...yep thats what they did....cool work...they are good :)

Last edited:
their rolling a new front fender....they kept the inner fender right? and are just replacing the outer skin?

edit...i looked better at previous pics ...yep thats what they did....cool work...they are good :)

Yeah the original fenders were in a bad state, so we made complete new ones, we kept the inner ones which are holding the grill/front.
IMG_1610.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg

Soft-Top

cant wait too see a finished product...

looking great so far Egypt :)

do they have oem soft top canvas's in that pile of parts?

Thanks Johnny, I cant wait myself!!

No OEM soft-tops ofcourse in that pile, Im currently checking out a varriety of materials, and I'll be using a guy who has been making soft tops for all the army jeep and other safari and diving Jeeps.
I have some customized touches for my soft-top, pockets and a main partition separating the driver and passenger from the back area, and some other extras.

That's awesome! I love seeing the old school metal fab. How many people here in the states would even consider making new fenders, let alone using an oxy/acetylene torch to weld on them? Keep the pics coming!

:cheers:

How many people here in the states would even consider making new fenders, let alone using an oxy/acetylene torch to weld on them?

:cheers:

Truth. I am continually amazed at the work done in what most of us would consider very poor working conditions, they are true craftsmen.

cool thread, keep it coming!

Impressive and amazing, I can't wait to see it finished. Man, I love the parts store, wish I had one down on the corner!

Best of luck to you! Sounds like you're going through exactly what mine went through about 6 years ago in Oman with the previous owner :)

Look forward to seeing it done :)

Christ! This thread is like something out of a J. Peterman catalog!

Love that parts store ! I have dreams of stumbling into one just like that - With a Picture of T.E. Lawrence on the wall - Autographed !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom