TWT -- The Wrenching Thread (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Worked on the 40 today, new slave cylinder fixed the seized clutch issue, and did a temporary daisy chain of two factory soft lines in the rear while I wait for my extended stainless line to arrive.

Then I started converting my 8274 from the factory solenoid pacts to a contactor. Unsuccessfully…

Could it have something to do with buying a $28 winch contactor off Amazon? Yes. Does it? Unsure.

Got it all wired up, plugged the controller in, bumped winch out, and it started spooling in and wouldn’t stop. I had to disconnect the battery. Fortunately I’d had enough cable pulled out it didn’t get tight and burn the winch up. Disconnected all the control wires and it still did it when I tried reconnecting the battery. Even once I disconnected the ground cable from the motor(I assume it must be grounded through mounting as well). So I finally removed the contactor entirely and unhooked the winch from power for the time being.
Probably gonna return and buy the Albright for $80

Can’t forget I had to relocate the winch controller plug so I moved it to the dash, was very proud of the little bracket I’d whipped
Up, and forgot the route the wires through the hole before connecting. Oops

View attachment 3578236

View attachment 3578238

View attachment 3578239

View attachment 3578240
This was all prompted because last trip I was on a solenoid died, so we flipped wires on the motor so I could winch in and just free spool out to get me off a trail.

My current best guess is it was a bad contactor out of the box, OR the ‘common’ terminal for this contactor was supposed to go to + and I put it to -. I say this because the contactor I bought did not come with any sort of wiring diagram. So I just went off one for a contactor that looked the same I had also ordered. But I just did some checking and it appears some of that style contactor have that terminal going to + and some to -.

IMG_0438.png

IMG_0441.jpeg

8274 contractor upgrade updates, wires were just touching and shorted out, got more insulation on them and it works

We moved out of our house last May for some water damage repairs that turned into a major renovation. We finally moved back in this February and are now getting settled back in.

I drive the 60 once a month or so to work and the last couple of times, it has been running really rough. Finally got a chance to pop the hood today and saw this missing vacuum port?!? Not sure what was there but I blocked it off for now and it runs SIGNIFICANTLY better.

I looked back through @open country build thread for Pearl but couldn't determine anything. Maybe it was just blocked off before?? Anyway, happy to have it running better and looking forward to picking some of your brains at RR next weekend.
20240413_120319.jpg
20240413_120427.jpg

In stock configuration that manifold port had a three-pronged vacuum doodad Mr. T called a gas filter. Definitely keep that port plugged. Otherwise its a huge vacuum leak.

Thanks Dave... as with a lot of these, there are several mods that are less than ideal. Open Country did a great job of getting most of the bugs worked out and running reliably. I hope to swap to a stock carb or maybe even a sniper or something at some point in the future. Its fun to tinker and there's plenty to do :rofl:

Blocking it off made a HUGE difference, it idles and runs SO much better. It is hard to start and I think this even helped some with that. It still diesels a little after I turn it off but overall its a pretty good runner now. Thanks for the help, look forward to meeting a lot of people at RR this weekend and picking everyone's brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom