Adding winch? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ds570

GOLD Star
Threads
Sadly, my 82 FJ40 is a garage queen and probably will stay that way as long as I own it (barring an EMP attack). Last year I added a new set of Japanese springs and OEM shocks and there is no lift.
I have a Warn winch and brackets etc. that I have debated installing. My questions are: (a) What effect does adding a winch have on ride height? (b) Does adding a winch increase or decrease vehicle value?

Sadly, my 82 FJ40 is a garage queen and probably will stay that way as long as I own it (barring an EMP attack). Last year I added a new set of Japanese springs and OEM shocks and there is no lift.
I have a Warn winch and brackets etc. that I have debated installing. My questions are: (a) What effect does adding a winch have on ride height? (b) Does adding a winch increase or decrease vehicle value?

Depends on which winch and how much it weighs, but it probably won't impact the ride height any time soon. Over time, extra weight adds up and will cause some sag; how much depends on your springs and the extra weight on them.

I don't know about resale value but would guess that a winch might help it a little bit. The overall condition of the 40 and the amount of rust or lack thereof will impact the sales price way more than the presence or absence of a winch.

The correct winch to add would be an 8274, but I dont think adding a winch has a direct correlation to price. If you add an 8274, I think your rig sells for the same price. You already have a desireable year, which is way more impactful to price. Condition, amount of rust and originality are some of the main price drivers currently.
To elaborate, if you buy a new 8274 for $3,200, plus an appropriate bumper, then you should not to expect to recover that cost in the sale. If you are scrappy about it and buy a used or rebuilt one, you will be better off.
Bumper choice is important. The one that @OPMACHINE sells is the best of both worlds. Looks factory, but is built sturdy for the winch. Other options are keep your factory bumper and add the plates that @powthief19 sells to mount the winch. If you divert from factory that could hurt the sales price if your rig is pretty original.
Post a picture of your rig so we can get a better understanding of what you have.

Uhhh, weigh the winch, then put similar weight on front of truck, then you'll see the difference....

Winch won't add or subtract value, only winch of 'value' is 8274 but it doesn't drive sales. If it is original and never sees dirt, I guess I don't see the point but I suppose the coolness at the coffee shop is enough.

The correct winch to add would be an 8274, but I dont think adding a winch has a direct correlation to price. If you add an 8274, I think your rig sells for the same price. You already have a desireable year, which is way more impactful to price. Condition, amount of rust and originality are some of the main price drivers currently.
To elaborate, if you buy a new 8274 for $3,200, plus an appropriate bumper, then you should not to expect to recover that cost in the sale. If you are scrappy about it and buy a used or rebuilt one, you will be better off.
Bumper choice is important. The one that @OPMACHINE sells is the best of both worlds. Looks factory, but is built sturdy for the winch. Other options are keep your factory bumper and add the plates that @powthief19 sells to mount the winch. If you divert from factory that could hurt the sales price if your rig is pretty original.
Post a picture of your rig so we can get a better understanding of what you have.
Thanks for the info. I am not sure what model winch I have and will check. I attached a couple of photos of my 40.

IMG_0127.JPG

IMG_0130.JPG

I am of the unpopular opinion that there is only 1 type of winch that increases value, the OEM PTO winch in proper working order. Everything else is aftermarket. The 8274 is a great one, I sure would not mind having one, but there are many stronger units available these days.

You have a beautiful Land Cruiser. Make sure you even need a winch first and not just a bumper ornament. I have had one mounted on my 40 for nearly 20 years now and have never needed it off road. It does make an excellent stump puller though.

I am of the unpopular opinion that there is only 1 type of winch that increases value, the OEM PTO winch in proper working order. Everything else is aftermarket. The 8274 is a great one, I sure would not mind having one, but there are many stronger units available these days.

You have a beautiful Land Cruiser. Make sure you even need a winch first and not just a bumper ornament. I have had one mounted on my 40 for nearly 20 years now and have never needed it off road. It does make an excellent stump puller though.
Thanks,
The winch would just be a bumper ornament. The last time I used a winch I had a 95 Defender 90 with one and it snowed an inch or two and my wife had been out in a Miata before the snow and it would not make it up the driveway. I felt a bit strange using a winch on Miata but it worked.

Uhhh, weigh the winch, then put similar weight on front of truck, then you'll see the difference....

Winch won't add or subtract value, only winch of 'value' is 8274 but it doesn't drive sales. If it is original and never sees dirt, I guess I don't see the point but I suppose the coolness at the coffee shop is enough.

Factory PTO winch that was made only to fit the Land Cruiser will add just much valve as a aftermarket winch that was made to fit multiple manufacturers 4X4s. The Warn is an easier find since most will come off of a jeep.

If you are actually going to use a winch, pto's are wonderful. I have spent up to like 8 hours winching my deuce and half packing a signal rig and pulling a generator trailer up a hill (and down too) in Germany. I would like to build a hydraulic unit for mine that could run a winch, a wood splitter, AC generator and a freezer compressor.

If you are actually going to use a winch, pto's are wonderful. I have spent up to like 8 hours winching my deuce and half packing a signal rig and pulling a generator trailer up a hill (and down too) in Germany. I would like to build a hydraulic unit for mine that could run a winch, a wood splitter, AC generator and a freezer compressor.
My only experience with a PTO was on a M109 (radio truck, not tank). It would really pull. The idea of adding some type of hydraulic unit sounds interesting.

since a WARN winch was a factory TOYOTA PIO build sheet option , this may itself answer your own question for you ...:idea:
both FJ40 & FJ60 fyi
1711500938740.png

./
1711500987755.png

1711501047896.jpeg

Awesome brochure Matt. I have an 82 bj42 and a 61 series. That brochure would look awesome on my shed wall if the resolution was higher.

i only collect originals ....

oem ones are around

I’ve never heard of the term Garage Queen before…but, my FJ45 is becoming one. I’d hidden it from the winter weather since August. It also had a Rough Country winch on it when I got it and the one thing I read recently is….you should lube the wire cable occasionally if it is rarely utilized.

Any thoughts?

Spool the winch all the way out, mind the starting wraps. Hook it to a rolling load, such as pulling a car up a grade (or on the flat with someone gently riding the brakes). Wind the winch cable in using like an old ax handle to steer the wraps in place. Have a buddy with a big can or many tubes) of water resistant grease using heavy duty leather gloves to lube the cable as you spool it in. I like Mystic JT-6, you can hardly get that stuff off you hands with gasoline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom