Builds 78 Mustard Yellow FJ40 #Tiger40 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the tag on and noticed it matched the mustard yellow pretty well!

IMG_5354.jpeg

IMG_5355.jpeg

Ended by polishing the front license plate and bringing it back to life. I had only done the rear one because the I don’t plan to install it with the winch, but the bumper has yet to arrive…

IMG_5359.jpeg

Congrats on passing! That was no small task. Well done!
Thank you!

Determined to figure out why this thing is running gutless uphill, and my mind keeps telling me it’s a vacuum leak. I popped off the vacuum hose from the distributor diaphragm and it holds no pressure when tested with a mighty vac.

Everything I’ve read about vacuum leaks tends to fall in line with how it’s driving, and this distributor port was not hooked up when it was desmogged. I was always under the impression that this was a vacuum advance distributor, but of course being ca spec it is different (vacuum retard).

IMG_5393.jpeg

IMG_5395.jpeg

IMG_5396.jpeg

I’m going to cap it off at the vsv and try taking it around the block sometime this week. It if improves, I will fill this inline fitting with plastic weld to eliminate the leak and so that it goes visually unnoticed. That hose needed to be extended with the fitting to reach the distributor and vsv. Then I will have to try and find a replacement distributor.

IMG_5397.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking through the Haynes manual that came with the FJ40 and found some receipts from 1984.

The most notable were @Downey and Longo Toyota, which is ironic because I buy a lot of parts from them to this day. Also found the dmv registration renewal from when they parked it (Nov ‘96).

IMG_5406.jpeg

IMG_5407.jpeg

IMG_5410.jpeg

Ok so I’ve come to the conclusion of eliminating the distributor retard function by plugging the inline fitting as described in the previous post.

I put a vacuum gauge directly on the vsv distributor retard port and revved it up. The port actively pulls vacuum throughout the rev range whenever the computer deems necessary. That means the vacuum system is leaking badly when its activated.

So for testing purposes I put a cap on that port, revved it up and it sounded much better. However the idle was all messed up now that it wasn’t leaking vacuum. Pulled out the timing light to get an rpm reading to adjust idle and decided to bump up the timing just a bit. The sweet spot seemed to be 11° advanced and the mechanical advance is working adding more timing when revved up.

Happy with the timing I set the idle at 650 and hooked up a vacuum gauge to the brake booster hose. It read a solid 17 at idle which is good in my book. All we need to do now is take it up a steep incline and see if we get better performance!

IMG_5413.jpeg

IMG_5416.jpeg

IMG_5411.jpeg

Edit* I still need to adjust the idle mix screw using the lean drop method. This should increase vacuum at idle.

Last edited:
This bolt almost had me fooled for a second. I thought it was broken from the top, but they used it from underneath for the ugly aux fuel tank valve.

IMG_5588.jpeg

IMG_5589.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

I ordered decals from cruiser corps. The coolant and washer decal were ok, but the warn hub decal is poor. Also has a typo missing a space between lock and position…

IMG_5594.jpeg

IMG_5593.jpeg

This bolt almost had me fooled for a second. I thought it was broken from the top, but they used it from underneath for the ugly aux fuel tank valve.

View attachment 3596741

View attachment 3596742

View attachment 3596743

I ordered decals from cruiser corps. The coolant and washer decal were ok, but the warn hub decal is poor. Also has a typo missing a space between lock and position…

View attachment 3596744

View attachment 3596745
I need the rubber band tool holder, mine gave up the ghost. Is that the one that is listed as 7” or something?

I need the rubber band tool holder, mine gave up the ghost. Is that the one that is listed as 7” or something?

79+ should take the 7” (large) retaining band. But, I’m using a 7” on an early reproduction tool roll on a 76 because it works..😎 YMMV.

79+ should take the 7” (large) retaining band. But, I’m using a 7” on an early reproduction tool roll on a 76 because it works..😎 YMMV.
Copy, thanks. Mine is/was holding down the jack tools. I would hazard that 7” is end to end and not the circumference? Would be nice to have an original again instead of the ball bungee that only kind of holding them in place.

Thanks for the info, now back to your regularly scheduled program…

Both the FJ40 and Tacoma were accepted into this years Toyotafest in Long Beach, CA on June 8! Toyota Owners and Restorers Club - https://toyotaclub.org/

I called opmachine yesterday and they told me the bumper would be done in a few more weeks. Once that shows up I can get the winch installed and perform a stage 1 paint correction with ceramic coat to the whole exterior of the FJ40.

The Tacoma is pretty much ready to go, but I still have to dynamat the cab and re-work my sound system while the interior is apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom