LC 250 & GX550 Picture Thread (48 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chiming in to say this is the most true thing I have read in a very long time.
We also didn’t ask them to simply remove the option of purchasing the true successor to the wagon platform from Toyota (Not Lexus). We were asking to have the option to purchase a stripped down or loaded up 300 series. Not a complete downgrade by giving us the mid-size platform that’s now the size of a full size rig, but can’t do anything a full size rig can do - tow capacity, interior room, etc…

But hey, it gets the supposed mythical 27 mpg, so that’s all that matters and that’s what you’re going to be happy with.

This video shows off the clever way they integrated the hybrid batteries in the rear cargo area.

I like this exterior color, too.

This was the best video I have seen for the rear cargo area. I really hope they keep the rear vents for my dogs. Goose Gear is going to make awesome rear seat delete. I may make my own if super motivated.

This was the best video I have seen for the rear cargo area. I really hope they keep the rear vents for my dogs. Goose Gear is going to make awesome rear seat delete. I may make my own if super motivated.

Yeah. I thought I would be bothered by the battery block in the middle, but that seems to fix what my 460 is missing - enclosed cubby storage in the back. I literally don't have enough room for small things, so I've ended up putting a bag on the tailgate. So while the deck height sucks and can't really be changed, I'm sure you can find uses for all of those panels in the back.

We also didn’t ask them to simply remove the option of purchasing the true successor to the wagon platform from Toyota (Not Lexus). We were asking to have the option to purchase a stripped down or loaded up 300 series. Not a complete downgrade by giving us the mid-size platform that’s now the size of a full size rig, but can’t do anything a full size rig can do - tow capacity, interior room, etc…

But hey, it gets the supposed mythical 27 mpg, so that’s all that matters and that’s what you’re going to be happy with.
Stripped down 300 series is a Sequoia.

As mentioned in previous posts the narrower body is a large advantage for wheeling on tight trails, particular in off-camber situations. I love that feature in my GX and am glad Toyota kept it. Again it's a purpose-bit vehicle for off-road use - something boxy may have more interior but will be less able to fit on various trails.

Fact of the matter is we are going to have more options for Toyota rigs then ever before - the big Sequoia, luxe-bloat LX600, base LC250, hopped up GX550, and whatever the 4Runner will become. Some/most of those in hybrid and non-hybrid options. That's 5 separate SUVs we can pick from with a pretty big range in capability/luxury/MPG/power/etc. The only thing someone could begin to complain about is lack of a V8 (killed by CAFE/EPA - not Toyota's doing) or lack of a SFA (not even close to a deal breaker for me).

FWIW I'd buy a GX550 if money was not an option. 9K tow capacity is nuts, E-KDSS looks awesome too.

If the GX550 was introduced as the US Land Cruiser nobody would bat an eye, other than wishing it had a front locker.

Same if the 250 was introduced as the new 4Runner, other than some grips about the new power train and roll down rear window.
Once you get used to having a front locker
It spoils you so much.
I'll say this though, crawl control is now even better than before.

Stripped down 300 series is a Sequoia.

As mentioned in previous posts the narrower body is a large advantage for wheeling on tight trails, particular in off-camber situations. I love that feature in my GX and am glad Toyota kept it. Again it's a purpose-bit vehicle for off-road use - something boxy may have more interior but will be less able to fit on various trails.

Fact of the matter is we are going to have more options for Toyota rigs then ever before - the big Sequoia, luxe-bloat LX600, base LC250, hopped up GX550, and whatever the 4Runner will become. Some/most of those in hybrid and non-hybrid options. That's 5 separate SUVs we can pick from with a pretty big range in capability/luxury/MPG/power/etc. The only thing someone could begin to complain about is lack of a V8 (killed by CAFE/EPA - not Toyota's doing) or lack of a SFA (not even close to a deal breaker for me).

FWIW I'd buy a GX550 if money was not an option. 9K tow capacity is nuts, E-KDSS looks awesome too.
The Seqouia is not a LC 300 because it doesn’t have a full time 4WD transfer case. That’s a total deal breaker to not have in mixed snow and ice condition driving, which many of us northerners in the US get in the winter time.

The GX is in many ways more compelling for me based on what we know now. The GX feels like less of a departure from the 200 than the LC250 does. I can't wait for some direct off-road and technical comparisons between production models of each.

The ideal arrangement for me is a LC250 exterior with the GX powertrain (no hybrid), eKDSS, rear diff, but with the spartan interior of the LC250 1958. Oh, and a bigger fuel tank for at least 300-400 miles of off-road range.

The Seqouia is not a LC 300 because it doesn’t have a full time 4WD transfer case. That’s a total deal breaker to not have in mixed snow and ice condition driving, which many of us northerners in the US get in the winter time.
So let me confirm - basically the same dimensions (inside/out), engine, transmission, rear axle, high towing capacity, suspension architecture, interior seating etc, but it's not a LC300 due to a transfer case? Or, isn't the lack of an AWD transfer case consistent with the stripper 300 you were asking for? Or is that stripped too much?

If it did have the AWD transfer case, would you be satisfied and purchase one, or would there still be another reason that it is an inadequate vehicle for your needs? Or, if it is so important, why not just swap in the AWD transfer case, which given the TNGA-F architecture, might be possible?

Just FYI we get plenty of snow/ice here too and have objectively worse weather than you have in WA. I do love my AWD transfer case but it's an odd thing to hang up on.

So let me confirm - basically the same dimensions (inside/out), engine, transmission, rear axle, high towing capacity, suspension architecture, interior seating etc, but it's not a LC300 due to a transfer case? Or, isn't the lack of an AWD transfer case consistent with the stripper 300 you were asking for? Or is that stripped too much?

If it did have the AWD transfer case, would you be satisfied and purchase one, or would there still be another reason that it is an inadequate vehicle for your needs? Or, if it is so important, why not just swap in the AWD transfer case, which given the TNGA-F architecture, might be possible?

Just FYI we get plenty of snow/ice here too and have objectively worse weather than you have in WA. I do love my AWD transfer case but it's an odd thing to hang up on.
I'm not agreeing with their argument, but to be fair the Sequoia is 12inches longer and has a 10inch longer wheelbase than the 300.

@cruiseroutfit

It might be time to purge part of this thread to get it back on track as the photo thread. Thoughts?

I thought about splitting this thread into two different new threads. One that stays on target for photos, and the other one that gives folks an outlet for tears and to share their 100 vs 105 expertise :D

I'll share pics instead.

20240127_172117.jpg
20231201_101608.jpg
20231201_093722.jpg
20231201_083851.jpg
20231201_083835.jpg
20231201_083826.jpg
20231201_075246.jpg
20231201_071133.jpg
20231130_074157.jpg

I'm not agreeing with their argument, but to be fair the Sequoia is 12inches longer and has a 10inch longer wheelbase than the 300.
Fair enough, I didn't compare the dimensions of the two side-by-side :). Either way it should be a great tow rig with a bit interior.

But I'd still get the GX550 and maybe will get one in 5-10 years.

I thought about splitting this thread into two different new threads. One that stays on target for photos, and the other one that gives folks an outlet for tears and to share their 100 vs 105 expertise :D

I'll share pics instead.

View attachment 3552668View attachment 3552669View attachment 3552670View attachment 3552671View attachment 3552672View attachment 3552673View attachment 3552674View attachment 3552675View attachment 3552676

And other one lie, hiding the facts and used by Toyota's marketing agenda. 😃

And other one lie, hiding the facts and used by Toyota's marketing agenda. 😃

I'll let you start that thread. Please call it "Kurt Williams the Land Cruiser die hard fan wannabe liar". @TheLCProject, @Zill and I will be your first likes :flipoff2:

And "used by Toyota's marketing agenda"? More like part of Toyota's marketing agenda and 1000% happily so. I'm extremely fortunately in life to spend time in an around amazing Cruiserheads and amazing Land Cruisers around the world, from the oldest to the latest and greatest. I love the 300/310 platform as much as any and have a great deal of off-road time (both recreational, training and racing) in them. But that doesn't change the fact I am excited about what the 250/550 will do for the Land Cruiser community here in the US and abroad.

For those interested in spending time in/around the GX550. I'm working on some community events that will present just that in production vehicles just as soon as they arrive. If you're in the greater LA area and want in, keep in touch.

For those interested in spending time in/around the GX550. I'm working on some community events that will present just that in production vehicles just as soon as they arrive. If you're in the greater LA area and want in, keep in touch.

Have a rough idea as to when? I'd love to swing by if I can.

Also those uprights look a bit beefier than the 460s/4Runner. Maybe no more need for as much gusseting.

I'll let you start that thread. Please call it "Kurt Williams the Land Cruiser die hard fan wannabe liar". @TheLCProject, @Zill and I will be your first likes :flipoff2:

And "used by Toyota's marketing agenda"? More like part of Toyota's marketing agenda and 1000% happily so. I'm extremely fortunately in life to spend time in an around amazing Cruiserheads and amazing Land Cruisers around the world, from the oldest to the latest and greatest. I love the 300/310 platform as much as any and have a great deal of off-road time (both recreational, training and racing) in them. But that doesn't change the fact I am excited about what the 250/550 will do for the Land Cruiser community here in the US and abroad.

Used by / Part of – doesn’t matter. The agenda and objectivity are the same, no need to be so defensive about it. Now that it’s known all can judge for themselves the context and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom