Distributor opinions on a ‘76 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ordered some replacement ignition parts for my ‘76 FJ40 (with the 2F engine) and I discovered the PO had installed a small cap dizzy when my new cap and rotor were too big for the old unit (doh!).

I’d like to replace the smaller dizzy with something more robust.

I’m currently running a Weber carb and an aftermarket coil/resistor. It’s my understanding that the original large cap dizzy would perform better. Does anyone have opinions here? I wouldn’t rule out HEI or DUI setups, I’m interested in all options.

Thank you for taking a look!

I ran many years with a "69&earlier vacuum advance" distributor on my 74 engine. Switched to a later big cap dizzy, did not notice a difference.

I'm running an FJ60 distributor in mine; all electronic, bearings instead of bushings, very robust and reliable. The downsides are, parts to rebuild them are becoming hard to find, and you'll need the dished pushrod gallery cover (commonly called the "side" cover) from an FJ60 2F for it to fit.

I'm running the small cap distributor with a Pertronix installed with an 87 2F. No issues for many years and I am not planning to upgrade. I messed up the last time I ordered parts as well and also have the wrong cap and rotor so you're not alone there. 👍

Large cap FJ60 here with a Jim C rebuild and recurve, many years of solid service. Echo @1911 that parts are getting hard to find if it ever lays an egg.

I ordered some replacement ignition parts for my ‘76 FJ40 (with the 2F engine) and I discovered the PO had installed a small cap dizzy when my new cap and rotor were too big for the old unit (doh!).

I’d like to replace the smaller dizzy with something more robust.

I’m currently running a Weber carb and an aftermarket coil/resistor. It’s my understanding that the original large cap dizzy would perform better. Does anyone have opinions here? I wouldn’t rule out HEI or DUI setups, I’m interested in all options.

Thank you for taking a look!

what your dealing with now is a bunch of aftermarket ignition parts , and some OEM ones like the small cap dizzy , these are all various Applications parts ,

- the aftermarket WEBBER carburetor is a separate topic , so we should keep it that way for now , for a bunch of good reasons ...:rolleyes:

- below is a LINK to my 100% TOYOTA OEM Genuine
NipponDenso Japan Spec. plug and play complete ignition system kit form product ...
- i personally designed and engineered each system component to meet and excede TOYOTA' s
Cold. Spec. / SNOW VERSION options package details and features
- i wanted to bring something to the table that is HEAVY DUTY & TOUGH as NAILS ...:idea:

- please take the time and make the time to review the TECH video below , its not only your information source , but installation instructions as well ...

thanks for supprt

matt

1684659209477.png

1684659268994.png

1684659251297.png

1684659287443.png

1684659226291.png

1684659332530.png
1684659318465.png

denso 1 - Copy (3).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back